IGNORED

The Lansdown stand

Shaun Taylor

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I may be wrong but I’m sure someone posted a picture on here from somewhere like Hanham and the Lansdown Stand was visible. Don’t know if anyone else remembers it?

I'm not familiar with Hanham but if that's true that's impressive as it must be 6 miles away or more  

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

When we had the Atyeo as the home end, everyone used to moan that it wasn't very good for atmosphere..! 

Simple truth is that if people sing, it improves the atmosphere. But they only do it now and then. 

Yep - people have short memories.  

Prior to redevelopment it was common to read on here that it was a crap stand for atmosphere because of poor acoustics.

Simply not true and away followings have proved this over the years making some good noise.

1 hour ago, City exile 79 said:

I live less than 500 yards away from the county ground. I’ve had numerous good hidings on non match days for wearing a city shirt. Never one on one. They hunt in packs. Last time granted was a few years ago but the odds were at least 15 of them and 2 of us. It wasn’t pretty ?

I remember I was in the glue pot a few years back and some lads must’ve clocked I was checking city score on phone. Came up to the table with violence in mind but thankfully managed to defuse the situation. There are a subset of idiots attached to every club. 

If stadiums are empty into next season this is the perfect time to demolish the Atyeo. Plans must already be in place and can quickly be put out for consultation. 

The SGSA’s interim report was v positive so even if we built rail seating to a similar footprint it would be an amazing future-proofed upgrade and improve atmosphere across the ground incl Lansdown 

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

I remember I was in the glue pot a few years back and some lads must’ve clocked I was checking city score on phone. Came up to the table with violence in mind but thankfully managed to defuse the situation. There are a subset of idiots attached to every club. 

Spot on every club has its idiots and the bigger the club they seem to attract more 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

When we had the Atyeo as the home end, everyone used to moan that it wasn't very good for atmosphere..! 

Simple truth is that if people sing, it improves the atmosphere. But they only do it now and then. 

Understood but unallocated seating means there's a chance it can be generated. 

3 hours ago, Hare Island said:

If stadiums are empty into next season this is the perfect time to demolish the Atyeo. Plans must already be in place and can quickly be put out for consultation. 

The SGSA’s interim report was v positive so even if we built rail seating to a similar footprint it would be an amazing future-proofed upgrade and improve atmosphere across the ground incl Lansdown 

Why though? Likely planning problems and no demand 

29 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Understood but unallocated seating means there's a chance it can be generated. 

That's a piss poor excuse imo. 

Having a seat number on your ticket doesn't stop anyone opening their mouth and singing. 

4 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Why though? Likely planning problems and no demand 

Only undeveloped stand, looks out of place and if there was rail seating and safe standing we could fill this stand with home and away supporters. Would generate a great atmosphere and perhaps we could drop home fan ticket prices in it

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Fair play. 

Seems to deter most though judging by the terrible atmosphere at AG 

Never stopped anyone standing on the east end

Just now, Hare Island said:

Only undeveloped stand, looks out of place and if there was rail seating and safe standing we could fill this stand with home and away supporters. Would generate a great atmosphere and perhaps we could drop home fan ticket prices in it

Nice idea but away fans (including ours) tend to outsing those next door and you cannot increase the height due to right of light legislation 

18 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Nice idea but away fans (including ours) tend to outsing those next door and you cannot increase the height due to right of light legislation 

Could build on the same footprint with a steeper rake and rail seating would increase capacity 

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I've always thought they should have crowd noise blended in on the tannoy.

Cheering them coming out or having corner or even chants being played. As long as it seems real then that could really add to the atmosphere.

Yes...... lets also have cheerleaders, marching bands and have quarters instead of two halves.

7 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

The Lansdown stand needs a club crest on each end - it still looks unfinished imo 

The trick I think we miss is to have something on the back of the Lansdown - `Ashton Gate. Home of Bristol City and Bristol Rugby` or something similar. It would smack you in the face driving down from Gordano.

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it would have been pretty loud on a Sunday lunchtime, or any other time we might have been beating Man Utd. 

What was the county ground like when you last beat Man Utd...?! 

One that did disappoint me though, talking of Sunday lunchtime games. February last year, FA Cup.

We'd won 9 on the bounce, in all competitions- in front of the cameras- I'm talking AG as a whole here, our chance to pit ourselves vs a top 7 PL side in Wolves- a top 7 PL side who we had competed well against the prior season in the League, it was us v Wolves, 2pm maybe? 1pm? Sunday lunchtime anyway!

We'd won 9 on the bounce, the joint or perhaps the longest winning runs in the top 6 or 7 Leagues in Europe (I'd put Championship in that bracket) and vs a good side, shades of 2017/18 even if style not quite the same- we'd gone 15 unbeaten. Very flat in the circs!

13 hours ago, pillred said:

It's more down to the age demographic, being the most expensive stand it tends to attract a how shall we put it a more mature fan

Nailed it. 

It is always going to be a quiet/quieter stand. Which is fine but consider:

1. Corporate areas in the Upper Lansdown
  2. Family areas- Upper Lansdown IIRC?
  3. Ticket prices.

It's unfortunate as it is the biggest stand but those circs are going to combine to give it a pretty modest atmosphere- IMO.

Archived