Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Zak Vyner

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know a lot of pressure is off Holden, but he’s given Vyner a chance, and he’s showed that he can be part of the squad next season.  That’s all you can ask.

Very true but we are in a state of 'limbo' as who knows who the new manager will, or will not fancy next season ? All the more strange that a 'new man' has not been watching (unless he has  without our knowledge) 

Vyner is looking so much better than his debut that seems light years ago, it shows that the loans system works with how TM, LW and now ZV have 'matured' and not forgetting Morrell. 

Just now, man in the middle said:

Need to see more of him and Moore next season 

This is why i'm worried about who comes in. If the new manager likes 2 huge centre backs, like Hughton liked at Brighton for example. Then I can't imagine Vyner and Moore will be playing.

Bring in someone who likes to play it out the back a lot then I imagine they might like those 2. And also like Walsh, Morrell etc.

So important we bring in a manager that will work well with what we have. Because I think it would be crazy to change everything, we have talented players.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

£5m.

Not a chance we’ll pay that in the light of Covid.

Sadly I think you`re right. Mind you, if he wants to stay and Benfica are prepared to renegotiate I feel we should at least pursue it. If we could get him for, say, E2.5m it would be a good deal IMO - he could be our RB/RWB for a few years to come.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Very true but we are in a state of 'limbo' as who knows who the new manager will, or will not fancy next season ? All the more strange that a 'new man' has not been watching (unless he has  without our knowledge) 

Vyner is looking so much better than his debut that seems light years ago, it shows that the loans system works with how TM, LW and now ZV have 'matured' and not forgetting Morrell. 

With Walsh and Morrell, at their ages, (and Moore too), there have to be questions whether they couldn’t have been integrated this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sadly I think you`re right. Mind you, if he wants to stay and Benfica are prepared to renegotiate I feel we should at least pursue it. If we could get him for, say, E2.5m it would be a good deal IMO - he could be our RB/RWB for a few years to come.

Yep, that kind of amount might have some legs.  As you say, at an age where he should get better.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He had a good game today, MOTM without a lot of competition though. The mix up with Bentley wasn`t down to him I think, he was screaming for Bents to come for it.

I did think it was. Bentley could have only come and kicked it away because it was out of the box. Zak was easier placed to boot it  out. Other than that, i thought he looks like he's got it. A very comfortable guy on the ball. I like.

I hope Vyner comes good but I’ve seen very little since his return to suggest he has a part to play.

Woefully out of position at times and turned inside out far too easily. He had a very good game today dont get me wrong but I’m not convinced he is up to it.

Young enough to improve? Maybe....but Positionally questionable, poor in the air and gives the ball away very cheaply. I think he needs to improve and quickly to be involved long term.

• Sad 1

Vyner very good again tonight.

Superb on the goal with that pass. 

And some other driven passes across field. He does it with no hesitation. He really looks a confident player.

He battled well and won some balls too. A very assured display.

He looks ready to me to be one of our centre backs next season.

• Like 4
On 18/07/2020 at 20:15, Taylor10 said:

I hope Vyner comes good but I’ve seen very little since his return to suggest he has a part to play.

Woefully out of position at times and turned inside out far too easily. He had a very good game today dont get me wrong but I’m not convinced he is up to it.

Young enough to improve? Maybe....but Positionally questionable, poor in the air and gives the ball away very cheaply. I think he needs to improve and quickly to be involved long term.

This. 
Nothing showing me that hes ready now so will be one to let go i reckon. We cant keep all of our younguns sentimentally!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Vyner very good again tonight.

Superb on the goal with that pass. 

And some other driven passes across field. He does it with no hesitation. He really looks a confident player.

He battled well and won some balls too. A very assured display.

He looks ready to me to be one of our centre backs next season.

He’s not short of confidence is he?Always willing to take on the difficult pass and I like that, sometimes they’re not on but hopefully he can nurture that. 

One improvement though is stop giving cheap fouls away in dangerous areas. But that will come with experience.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

This. 
Nothing showing me that hes ready now so will be one to let go i reckon. We cant keep all of our younguns sentimentally!

Don't understand that reaction at all, thought he was great for the second game in a row. Two vital blocks, solid defensive work, some great cross field balls, a great pass for AW to set up the goal and you can add versatility played RB and CB. 

• Like 4

Couple of wayward passes tonight but an excellent one for Famara’s goal.

Will have learned a lot from this run in the side & can definitely help fill the home grown player slot next season.

• Like 1
Just now, Lew-T said:

He’s not short of confidence is he?Always willing to take on the difficult pass and I like that, sometimes they’re not on but hopefully he can nurture that. 

One improvement though is stop giving cheap fouls away in dangerous areas. But that will come with experience.

Yeah he still needs to work on things. But to me he looks championship quality for sure. No more loans for him now

6 minutes ago, nickolas said:

This. 

Afraid so. All over the shop in the games that mattered since the re-start. Looked good when the pressure is off. He can strike a ball but he’s no way beat up to it defensively.

At least worth a place in the 18 (or 20) for next season and that's not because he's a club developed player. Depending on the formation the new gaffer prefers could we see a back 3 of the below? Both Vyner and Moore comfortable of making runs forward underlapping etc could be reminiscent of Sheff Utd's style. 

Vyner        Kalas        Moore

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

At least worth a place in the 18 (or 20) for next season and that's not because he's a club developed player. Depending on the formation the new gaffer prefers could we see a back 3 of the below? Both Vyner and Moore comfortable of making runs forward underlapping etc could be reminiscent of Sheff Utd's style. 

Vyner        Kalas        Moore

I would suggest going from the likes of Baker, Benkovic & Williams to the above back 3 wouldn’t give us much hope of promotion.

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I would suggest going from the likes of Baker, Benkovic & Williams to the above back 3 wouldn’t give us much hope of promotion.

Realism with the financial climate, don't think Williams will stay, doubt we'll get Benkovic back and Baker would be on the bench for me

Just now, Lrrr said:

Realism with the financial climate, don't think Williams will stay, doubt we'll get Benkovic back and Baker would be on the bench for me

Definitely will need to be realistic financially but we will also need to compete. We won’t be going all out to get someone like Gerrard to start the season with a back 3 like that.

I can’t agree on Baker on the bench either mate. Our best out and out defender by a country mile. Shame he can’t stay fit! Although I wouldn’t favour an unproven Vyner & Taylor Moore over him.

Just now, Taylor10 said:

Definitely will need to be realistic financially but we will also need to compete. We won’t be going all out to get someone like Gerrard to start the season with a back 3 like that.

I can’t agree on Baker on the bench either mate. Our best out and out defender by a country mile. Shame he can’t stay fit! Although I wouldn’t favour an unproven Vyner & Taylor Moore over him.

His record of substitutions is exactly why he wouldn't start for me, it disrupts the team every time he has to go off. Taylor Moore showed in half a season he's capable at this level and Zak lately has shown he's definitely got the potential. If we bring in anyone better then good for us but I feel working off our current options thats where we should be building from

Just now, Lrrr said:

His record of substitutions is exactly why he wouldn't start for me, it disrupts the team every time he has to go off. Taylor Moore showed in half a season he's capable at this level and Zak lately has shown he's definitely got the potential. If we bring in anyone better then good for us but I feel working off our current options thats where we should be building from

That is the frustrating thing with Baker. Can’t guarantee a run of games with him.

Taylor Moore could be interesting. From what I’ve seen he’s further ahead than Vyner as a defender. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

FWIW, Zak was my MOTM tonight.  Is he perfect? Nope.

That was his best performance in a City shirt for me.

Needs to improve aerially, but he’s improved on the ball from his time at Rotherham, where he offered very little going forward. Got years before his peak.

In terms of picking back threes of Vyner / Kalas / Moore, I think we need to just stop thinking of “best eleven” and think squad make up.  

If new manager is gonna play a back three then we have four CBs to give him food for thought.  I think posters who dismiss Baker are doing it too quickly.  You’ve also got to give Moore and Vyner time too.  They aren’t the finished article and the Championship is brutal.  If you bring in a “Benkovic” type to be your fifth CB, you will need to rotate for injury, form, suspension, etc.

Vyner (and Moore to a lesser extent) have RWB to his bow.

Amazing what some young players are capable of if you give them a little run.  Well done Dean Holden.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, nickolas said:

This. 

He’s ready . 
He is still relatively young and will make mistakes so we will have to accept that  , heck Ashley Williams still makes mistakes at his age .

There is definitely a player in there. His little chip for Weimann’s assist was top drawer for vision and execution.

Like Taylor Moore,  he’s still learning the trade but both are more than capable of holding down a first team place in a Championship side and with another season at this level perhaps in the Prem. 

• Like 1