IGNORED

What is facing our new manager?

cidered abroad

First steps must be:

Establish acceptable level of autonomy

Cull list

Establish primary game plan

Have final say in new recruits (to whatever budget has been agreed) to ensure new game plan works

Accept, correct and own any mistakes made, not blame others

Be open to change if players / formation aren't working, but not just for the sake of it (Tombola)

NO-ONE is undroppable.

Good luck......

19 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

A massive job on his hands, how we get rid of some of the dead wood on good contracts is very hard to do , the squads way to big with very little quality.

It is certainly far too big, we could lose 8-10 players (including the masses who have been on loan in L1, L2 & even below that) & it make not the slightest bit of difference.

Not sure it has “little quality”, more too many for whom there appears much of a muchness.

His job is firstly to decide which ones he wants to keep & hope we can shift those that he does not.

Just now, GrahamC said:

It is certainly far too big, we could lose 8-10 players (including the masses who have been on loan in L1, L2 & even below that) & it make not the slightest bit of difference.

Not sure it has “little quality”, more too many for whom there appears much of a muchness.

His job is firstly to decide which ones he wants to keep & hope we can shift those that he does not.

Can you name me 6 proper quality players we have, that would get in the top teams sides.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We need a manager that can simply see what gets the best out of players.

I find it amazing that LJ didn't know, and maybe Holden knows but just doesn't feel he has the right mix to get the best out of our key players.

Lets take Wells. He has so far shown to be far better playing on his own up front. Huddersfield and QPR showed this in a 4231.

We can even see it now for us. He can control a ball and battle a bit, but blimey his whole game for us seems to be dropping off and getting the ball and giving it away.

I'm sure he's better than what we see at that job as he just seems careless. But his game does not suit the way we are playing.

It goes to show simply buying someone who scores goals at a previous club does not mean much when a team is not built for him to get chances.

I'm not saying he can't play in a front 2. I actually think he probably can be effective with the right partner and midfield behind him.

Dyche who is a pretty superb manager bought him for Burnley to play in a front 2 in the prem. Okay it didn't work out, but a very good manager in Dyche believed he could play in a front 2, as clearly that's how Burnley play.

The reason I am talking about Wells here is that he is our main striker. People seem to think Diedhiou may be off. And Afobe is only here on loan.

We have rarely seen Wells go one on one with the goalie. And I don't really see him touching the ball much in the box.

If he doesn't suit a system that gets the best out of most of our key players then I say sell him.

If our game works best having a big target man in a 4141 system for example with the likes of Walsh, Morrell, maybe Korey making up our midfield 3 with 2 wide men, then go get Kieffer Moore. Sell Wells. If one player doesn't suit the others then get rid.

Lets have a style of play, a system. Lets bring in players that work in that system. Any that don't then move on.

Have you got any plans to change your avatar it gives me the hebegeebies 

Just now, glen humphries said:

Can you name me 6 proper quality players we have, that would get in the top teams sides.

What do you mean by a top team? Cardiff, who are in sixth? 

Bentley, Baker, Kalas, Dasilva, Paterson and Wells would all be in their side, I reckon & Fam possibly, too.

Just now, GrahamC said:

What do you mean by a top team? Cardiff, who are in sixth? 

Bentley, Baker, Kalas, Dasilva, Paterson and Wells would all be in their side, I reckon & Fam possibly, too.

For me Bentley no makes to many mistakes, Paterson not a chance, kalas hasn’t been the player he was last season, injuries might be a factor, fam not sure, dasilva maybe, baker not a chance he’s made of popadoms 

46 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If we continue with the quality of performance that we have seen in the second half of this season, what lies ahead for the new boss?

A season long battle at which end of the table?

Well I may not be popular with this, but a new left back please. One that can defend, who can stop crosses coming in by actually attempting the odd tackle!, and one who doesn’t switch off completely like he did for Swansea’s winner today. 

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

For me Bentley no makes to many mistakes, Paterson not a chance, kalas hasn’t been the player he was last season, injuries might be a factor, fam not sure, dasilva maybe, baker not a chance he’s made of popadoms 

Amazing that we’re top half then really, with not a single player good enough to play for Cardiff..

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

If we continue with the quality of performance that we have seen in the second half of this season, what lies ahead for the new boss?

A season long battle at which end of the table?

He will have his work cut out. When it comes to the business end of the season Johnson has assembled a team of bottlers in his own image. The new man needs to rebuild  a team with some fight and determination. And give them a set of tactics and pattern of play they understand and are not changed every week. And get some players in. So I guess it will take a season.

51 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Bit of an ask for any team, I mean even Leeds could benefit from other teams in multiple positions and they've won the league. 

I'd say Eliasson, Wells and Dasilva are all good enough to walk into other Championship teams but it's not about other teams, it's purely about having an a team that compliments each other. You could put those three players in a team and they'd work together well, the issue is trying to force the rest of the squad in. Personally I think our biggest weakness is in the middle of the pitch, I can't remember the last team to get promoted that didn't have a solid midfielder. Massengo had potential but is no where near the value we paid, Nagy isn't consistent enough, Smith is injured too much to gain consistency and our best central midfielder left us to go to the Prem after most of our fans said he was over rated. 

We need that top tier central midfielder, someone who can do the work that none of our midfielders seem able to do. 

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

A mess

A complete and utter mess to be precise.

Midfield is a shambles, League 1 standard. Complete rebuild required.

Fammy, Eliasson likely off so that leaves Wells as one forward who, seemingly, would far prefer to be at QPR.

Defence needs at least one full back.

Keepers iffy.

Aside from that LJ left a bloated squad of very similarly lightweight average players who ain’t going to get promotion anytime soon.

If we don’t appoint a manager who has experience, has seen it, done it and got promotion then we could be in big trouble.

There’s many reasons why we are an attractive proposition to manage, the squad ain’t one of them.

Archived