IGNORED

We will go for the cheap option

Alan Dicks

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Will us fans be underwhelmed.?

End up right back at square one?

its the Bristol City way.

Or

Am i just being negative and should keep my hopes up for an experienced managerial appointment?

Anyone else feel the same way?

I feel that SL's track record on selecting managers is not great and I fear they will aim for the up and coming manager who will work the way they want. So will be underwhelmed.

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

it's the critical time that's the issue. We have a transfer window round the corner.....and January is always a bad time to recruit/ 

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the club are desperately trying to land their target, but our ‘project’ is holding us back.  It may not just be down to offering the appropriate salary 

Can you imagine trying to convince an experienced manager that we are desperate for Premiership football, but will still be committed to selling our most valuable players when good offers come in.

We may also be resisting managers bringing in their own team and instead expect them to work with the team we already have here.  

It could well be that our plan is too inflexible and unless we change it drastically, it could just drive away our top targets, so we’re gradually working our way down the list, until someone desperate enough, or hopefully ambitious enough agrees to our demands.

I still can’t decide if we’re just being sensible in this crazy world of football, or just plain stubborn and unrealistic to think we’re ever going to achieve success on this route.

17 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

The back room staff costs could well be the delaying and deciding factors.  CH and some others will probably want their own back room team (including for CH his former Number 2 from Brighton who will not be popular being ex gas) but SL isn’t going to be keen on the costs involved of importing a number of new names as well as shipping out DH & JM etc.

Thoughts on this > DH I recall worked under Big Sam in the past.  DH becomes Head Coach with Big Sam coming in as DOF, General Manager, Consultant, whatever.  This will be seen as giving a young “manager” a chance yet with an experienced sidekick to advise.  On many previous threads there have been calls for an experienced person to be engaged to assist LJ.

This would give the club a “name” to raise the profile also with contacts and will help attracting players, yet preserve most of the status quo and the BCFC way, also Big Sam wouldn’t put up with some of the player antics we’ve seen at times.  A cheaper option.

I joked about Holden coming in under Allardyce last week!! ?

56 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

And we are now two weeks in with a manager with the know how like Chris Hughton and we are messing around with what lansdown and Ashton believe we need as a coach !! 

Take a deep breath my friend.

"These things take time", someone not so famous, famously said.

Its not like buying a player, and that's hard enough these days.  You are potentially buying a management team.  I would assume there are lots of moving parts, and massive decisions to be made about current employees.

These are difficult decisions that Steve, Mark and Jon need to take.  I think we can all agree that the next appointment will be our biggest in history.  To get all that done in 10-14 days is unrealistic.

We are in our strongest position both on and off the field, and I think we are in an enviable place.  Why on earth does this have to be rushed?

Lets take our time, find the right person.

1 minute ago, WayOutWest said:

Take a deep breath my friend.

"These things take time", someone not so famous, famously said.

Its not like buying a player, and that's hard enough these days.  You are potentially buying a management team.  I would assume there are lots of moving parts, and massive decisions to be made about current employees.

These are difficult decisions that Steve, Mark and Jon need to take.  I think we can all agree that the next appointment will be our biggest in history.  To get all that done in 10-14 days is unrealistic.

We are in our strongest position both on and off the field, and I think we are in an enviable place.  Why on earth does this have to be rushed?

Lets take our time, find the right person.

why did we only start looking after LJ left the car park? Please dont tell me that usual form of business networking was peculiarly absent before he was sacked

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

When it comes to appointing a manager, there is no such thing as a cheap option!

Bugs me so much that fans say this nonsense.

It's all relative. Sunk costs with dismissal of Johnson and his team so the club pays same rate as the previous or go for an upgrade. Difference being whether compensation paid. This is the Championship so nothing is cheap but some solutions are way cheaper than others 

Some really good points made all round, but SL must learn from the Rugby, get a top coach & the rest will follow. 
you ask 20 of us and I suspect 15 different favourites, but the forum favourite by a country mile was Hughton and most likely the best qualified and track record, unless perhaps some top foreign name who has slipped under radar.  Who in all honesty had heard of Biesla the Leeds bloke until a few years back? 

20 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Some really good points made all round, but SL must learn from the Rugby, get a top coach & the rest will follow. 
you ask 20 of us and I suspect 15 different favourites, but the forum favourite by a country mile was Hughton and most likely the best qualified and track record, unless perhaps some top foreign name who has slipped under radar.  Who in all honesty had heard of Biesla the Leeds bloke until a few years back? 

The argument by some that SLs priorities lie with rugby relate to the quality of his head coach. Fact is that the most expensive player in the game is or was Charles Piatau of Bristol who earns the same as Kalas probably. Same goes with the coach. The equivalent of Pat Lam is not available or remotely interested in us. 

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

It's all relative. Sunk costs with dismissal of Johnson and his team so the club pays same rate as the previous or go for an upgrade. Difference being whether compensation paid. This is the Championship so nothing is cheap but some solutions are way cheaper than others 

Like i said, no such thing as a cheap option. If you appoint a bad manager because he is “cheap” - it’s going to cost way more than any managers wages, in the long run.

Just now, Riaz said:

Like i said, no such thing as a cheap option. If you appoint a bad manager because he is “cheap” - it’s going to cost way more than any managers wages, in the long run.

Agreed which is why in my opinion the clubs highest earner should be the manager. On that point whilst I think he's been OK can we not do better than Ashton? 

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

When it comes to appointing a manager, there is no such thing as a cheap option!

It belongs in the same bin as lansdown doesn't splash the cash or we always buy players on the cheap,

Its absolute horseshit

21 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Agreed which is why in my opinion the clubs highest earner should be the manager. On that point whilst I think he's been OK can we not do better than Ashton? 

Not necessarily. We might find the next Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder at A small club and He won’t command much of a wage

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

It belongs in the same bin as lansdown doesn't splash the cash

No-ones saying he hasn't put the club on a great footing. He has. BCFC are secure for decades.

Some people though, can understand BCFC is just a small part of his plans for South Bristol, and  he has spent much more on income producing infastructure than the FOOTBALL CLUB. City are a small part of a big picture, but you are unable to see that it is all connected. Some parts of the project are more important to SL than others. Currently it's property development and home building, not football. That's why he bought the land,stadium and is developing businesses, homes and recreational facilities outside of football and rugby. 

Monkeh, a ground being used just twice a week is a money pit.

A stadium with a shopping mall, hotels, convention,concert and wedding facilities (as a small example) MAKES money every day. That's what he wants, that's why he bought everyone else out of the club and land, and when he's finished and it's all in place - then he will relax, and hopefully kick back and concentrate on promotion.

It's a business mate - Bristol Sport, the land holding companies, the arenas and shops - it's SL's last big business venture. Let him finish it- then he can enjoy trying to get us up!

or we always buy players on the cheap,

Who says that?

Its absolute horseshit

And to you it always will be, as you honestly believe that City is Lansdowns only interest in Ashton Gate / Vale. When he has finished with his property and business projects, I honestly believe he will pay more attention to getting us promoted.

That time is not yet here. Try to see the bigger picture. ?

11 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Are you serious?

The same Bielsa who had managed Argentina, Chile, Marseille, Lazio & Athletic Bilbao?

Do you really think he was an unknown?

As for Hughton if only it was that simple, he may have told us by now that he doesn’t want the job (he says he has previously turned down 5 Championship clubs), we may have got the impression he is waiting for another job, or he may be unwilling to work to our structure.

This isn’t as simple as you think.

11 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Maybe dispense with the Ashton role altogether, the manager selects the team and is responsible for results so should sign the players he wants City didn't have to follow this continental rubbish like every other club where the manager is given players to work with its hardly been successful for us it would be interesting to discover just how many of the current squad arrived without any input by Johnson. I would suggest Massengo certainly is  in that category. Who better than the man who picks the team to sign the players too. 

5 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Maybe dispense with the Ashton role altogether, the manager selects the team and is responsible for results so should sign the players he wants City didn't have to follow this continental rubbish like every other club where the manager is given players to work with its hardly been successful for us it would be interesting to discover just how many of the current squad arrived without any input by Johnson. I would suggest Massengo certainly is  in that category. Who better than the man who picks the team to sign the players too. 

There are clearly two sides to MA`s job, buying and selling. He is probably the best we`ve ever had at the second, the first, not so much. If his role was redefined so it stays purely financial (get the players the manager wants on the best deal for the club, move players on for the best possible fee) then things wouldn`t be so confusing and a lot smoother IMO. In other words, stick to the business side and stay away from the playing one.

14 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

It seems to be the Lansdown way. We seem to have an appointment process akin to employing a new accountant at Hargreaves Lansdown 

Don’t want to upset HR. Must have at least 3 rounds of interviews

Don't forget Powerpoint presentations !!

13 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

The back room staff costs could well be the delaying and deciding factors.  CH and some others will probably want their own back room team (including for CH his former Number 2 from Brighton who will not be popular being ex gas) but SL isn’t going to be keen on the costs involved of importing a number of new names as well as shipping out DH & JM etc.

Thoughts on this > DH I recall worked under Big Sam in the past.  DH becomes Head Coach with Big Sam coming in as DOF, General Manager, Consultant, whatever.  This will be seen as giving a young “manager” a chance yet with an experienced sidekick to advise.  On many previous threads there have been calls for an experienced person to be engaged to assist LJ.

This would give the club a “name” to raise the profile also with contacts and will help attracting players, yet preserve most of the status quo and the BCFC way, also Big Sam wouldn’t put up with some of the player antics we’ve seen at times.  A cheaper option.

Whilst I think it highly unlikely, I wouldn’t necessarily be against something along these lines. I’m no football historian, but I would imagine the DOF+Head Coach model has a pretty patchy record. Nevertheless, it could be made to work. It would depend, crucially - and to state the bleedin’ obvious - on getting the right man in, and also having very clearly thought-out demarcation of responsibilities. Not sure there would be much enthusiasm from the fan base, though...

Wonder if anyone can think of an example of a DOH/HC combination that’s worked well elsewhere?

21 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

They should've sacked Johnson months ago. If they had, I'm pretty certain we'd be in the play-offs now. At least. 

Spot on Ashton-Great. They knew this day was coming months ago. They knew the fans were unhappy with the type of football being played. LJ team selections/subs. Any good board of directors  are pro active not re active. With the quality of names saying they would be interested i started to get excited about the club future. Now as each days passes i am more and more underwhelmed by SL<JL< and MA.

15 hours ago, City1970 said:

Johnson was a cheap option but ended up a very expensive option. 

I think SL will have learnt from the rugby.  Need a top coach otherwise it will cost more in the long run.  As I've said before, there are no cheap options only wrong ones.  

16 hours ago, Riaz said:

Exactly Fantastic Stadium, squad assembled (by a half wit) at huge cost, top draw academy and state of the art training facilities and somehow, we get the same tired cheap option horse shit. OK Johnson was a failure and SL And the BoD chose him, but the idea he got the job because he was cheaper is insane, he got the job because the people who hired him had not worked out bullshit bingo and the tombola theory to team selection....Hopefully we don’t get stung again!....Where’s @Thatch35when you need him?

20 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

why did we only start looking after LJ left the car park? 

How do you know this?

Without being present in any meetings that were held prior to his sacking, and subsequent meetings after,  this information is pure guess work on your part. 

I would guess that a short list of potential candidates have been drawn up Before after does it really matter. The club started to get enquiries from a whole different pool of candidates from all over the world. MA stated that.. so that is fact. 

These would need further investigation. I don't understand the need to rush. 

Some people criticise the club for taking to long. Some people would criticise the club for an immediate appointment. They honestly couldn't win. 

They need to get this right. It will take as much time as it does. 

2 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

How do you know this?

Without being present in any meetings that were held prior to his sacking, and subsequent meetings after,  this information is pure guess work on your part. 

I would guess that a short list of potential candidates have been drawn up Before after does it really matter. The club started to get enquiries from a whole different pool of candidates from all over the world. MA stated that.. so that is fact. 

These would need further investigation. I don't understand the need to rush. 

Some people criticise the club for taking to long. Some people would criticise the club for an immediate appointment. They honestly couldn't win. 

They need to get this right. It will take as much time as it does. 

I think what you are reading as criticism is fear...'trust me on Tinnion' fear...fear that a decade on we'll make another hash of appointing a successor to a Johnson, and instead if heading upwards and onwards find ourselves back in League 1.

Just now, Red Exile said:

I think what you are reading as criticism is fear...'trust me on Tinnion' fear...fear that a decade on we'll make another hash of appointing a successor to a Johnson, and instead if heading upwards and onwards find ourselves back in League 1.

10 years is a long time. Hopefully many lessons have been learned. LJ was far from failure. He established us as a top half championship that have flirted with play offs. 

Instead of the new man coming in and steadying the ship and trying to keep us from the trap door, his brief will be to deliver play offs at a minimum. Let that sink in. We are not a club that needs saving, we are a club that needs to push on. 

I believe that this situation puts the club in a far better position in choosing who will succeed LJ. 

The right man will take the time it takes. 

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly Fantastic Stadium, squad assembled (by a half wit) at huge cost, top draw academy and state of the art training facilities and somehow, we get the same tired cheap option horse shit. OK Johnson was a failure and SL And the BoD chose him, but the idea he got the job because he was cheaper is insane, he got the job because the people who hired him had not worked out bullshit bingo and the tombola theory to team selection....Hopefully we don’t get stung again!....Where’s @Thatch35when you need him?

I think most people not connected with the club, and hopefully some City fans when they develop a sense of perspective, would not judge LJ as a failure.  OK he didn't get us into the playoffs, but we are now an established Championship club who have been competing for the playoffs, we had improved each year and until quite recently it looked like that might continue this season.  He's laid a foundation and now we need someone else to take us the next step.

1 minute ago, red panda said:

I think most people not connected with the club, and hopefully some City fans when they develop a sense of perspective, would not judge LJ as a failure.  OK he didn't get us into the playoffs, but we are now an established Championship club who have been competing for the playoffs, we had improved each year and until quite recently it looked like that might continue this season.  He's laid a foundation and now we need someone else to take us the next step.

I think a lot of fans of other clubs would put him in the same category as Alex Neil, taken a newly promoted club into the top half of the Championship and keeping them there.

Archived