IGNORED

The Luxury Lads

mozo

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

This not a defence of Mr Johnson but if Weimann loses the ball he gets goal side, fills in and screens quickly. Palmer might or might not and I will breathe in and state his understanding  of screening and its body positions is rudimentary. 

That is the difference between team centred players and those who are not. 

Palmer plays in role that is becoming ever scarcer in football. Those who play in attacking central midfield roles are also working and running more. The play making ten has virtually disappeared.

If you take his performance away to Derby I thought he really took responsibility for the defensive side for the hour he played.  You are right, it’s not his strong point, and he does need to improve that.

On 18/07/2020 at 19:12, mozo said:

What becomes of the luxury lads?

Do we agree that Palmer, Paterson and Elliasson are 'luxury' players, which is to say that their occasional moments of genius come at the price of an overall output that isn't good enough?

Do you need players like these in our squad or would we be thick as thieves to keep them on?

What should the new gaffer do with them?

I know what you mean by 'luxury' players, but I want to be entertained and whoever comes in needs to find a way to get our most creative players involved.   I'd say some like Eliasson is 'essential' given his contribution.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If you take his performance away to Derby I thought he really took responsibility for the defensive side for the hour he played.  You are right, it’s not his strong point, and he does need to improve that.

You may have watched Chelsea yesterday. The energy? Bristol City have few players of that technical standard but also have players who would not meet the physical, psychological and tactical demands without the ball. 

Leeds. The energy? 

Liverpool. Energy? 

There is a theme there. 

Bristol City with certain individuals in the team become lightweight in energy and tactical nous. If the above are the levels and trends aspired to by the next Coach/Manager improvement needs to be massive. Bristol City are a lightweight not in physique but energy. 

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You may have watched Chelsea yesterday. The energy? Bristol City have few players of that technical standard but also have players who would not meet the physical, psychological and tactical demands without the ball. 

Leeds. The energy? 

Liverpool. Energy? 

There is a theme there. 

Bristol City with certain individuals in the team become lightweight in energy and tactical nous. If the above are the levels and trends aspired to by the next Coach/Manager improvement needs to be massive. Bristol City are a lightweight not in physique but energy. 

I agree, when a Leeds player makes a run, it’s not an amble, it’s at pace and with purpose.  When a City player makes a run, it looks half-hearted.  Having said that, there have been better signs in the games under Holden.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree, when a Leeds player makes a run, it’s not an amble, it’s at pace and with purpose.  

This is why KP doesnt float my boat. Silky player no doubt, but doesnt put a shift in.

We certainly need to improve in this area. 100% agree

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is why KP doesnt float my boat. Silky player no doubt, but doesnt put a shift in.

We certainly need to improve in this area. 100% agree

Yes, he’s one of those players isn’t he...will divide opinion.  If he is given a chance by the new manager, he’s got to take it to give himself a chance of it being a long chance.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he is given a chance by the new manager, he’s got to take it to give himself a chance of it being a long chance.

He needs a rocket up his arse. In no uncertain terms your career is going nowhere unless you put a shift in. Do that and you could go far

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

He needs a rocket up his arse. In no uncertain terms your career is going nowhere unless you put a shift in. Do that and you could go far

Probably right.  He worked hard last summer, got himself fit, came here, started looking decent in the 5212, linking well with Afobe and Weimann.  It looked promising.

Then it kinda all went wrong.  We can only speculate why....but it feels like a big waste of £3.5m and £20k per week as it currently stands.

Archived