IGNORED

It’s going to be Paul Cook

Silvio Dante

Hear me out here. 

I don’t believe SL was holding out for the slim possibility of playoffs under Holden. That would have made no sense, and he, as us, wouldn’t want us to be rudderless.

I then think logically. If it was to be Hughton - he could be in by now. He wouldn’t get a prem job and we know he’s interested. Lesser extent won’t be Mick as he’d be in by now.

It wouldn’t be Robins, or Lowe, or Flynn. They’re in jobs, but there is no current ties - and Robins is already buying for next season. They’d be in by now two weeks after LJ going.

It wouldn’t be Gerrard. I do like the idea but also think it’s fanciful and again, Rangers are in pre season - he could come now, and the SPL starts on 1st August.

It wouldn’t be Howe or Dyche - too big for us.

So, all logic gets me to the following:

- It’s someone in a job currently. But a job that is “live”. I.e a championship manager

- As noted on other threads, it’s someone who can work within the budgets imposed by COVID and improve players, and also go in the clubs philosophy 

Cook, although having moved clubs, is an honourable man - see his current Wigan actions (phoning all staff etc). He won’t leave until after Weds, no doubt, as he wouldn’t walk in their current scenario until the seasons done.

Its Cook. I can’t see any other choice that wouldn’t be in place by now. And, tbf, I’d take that.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hear me out here. 

I don’t believe SL was holding out for the slim possibility of playoffs under Holden. That would have made no sense, and he, as us, wouldn’t want us to be rudderless.

I then think logically. If it was to be Hughton - he could be in by now. He wouldn’t get a prem job and we know he’s interested. Lesser extent won’t be Mick as he’d be in by now.

It wouldn’t be Robins, or Lowe, or Flynn. They’re in jobs, but there is no current ties - and Robins is already buying for next season. They’d be in by now two weeks after LJ going.

It wouldn’t be Gerrard. I do like the idea but also think it’s fanciful and again, Rangers are in pre season - he could come now, and the SPL starts on 1st August.

- It’s someone in a job currently. But a job that is “live”. I.e a championship manager

- As noted on other threads, it’s someone who can work within the budgets imposed by COVID and improve players, and also go in the clubs philosophy 

Cook, although having moved clubs, is an honourable man - see his current Wigan actions (phoning all staff etc). He won’t leave until after Weds, no doubt, as he wouldn’t walk in their current scenario until the seasons done.

Its Cook. I can’t see any other choice that wouldn’t be in place by now. And, tbf, I’d take that.

Agree you , we have a championship manager lined up - either Cook or Alex Neil from Preston 

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

why? (genuinely interested). He did well at Norwich (a club that we would like to imitate)

To be fair I don't know why, cant put my finger on it. Never understood his footballing philosophy.....where as with Paul Cook its clear.

6 minutes ago, Lez said:

To be fair I don't know why, cant put my finger on it. Never understood his footballing philosophy.....where as with Paul Cook its clear.

I'm not sure on him either, Preston have been like us the past couple of years, dropping off towards the end of the season. I'd have Cook out of the 2 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Long time admirer of Cook.

Alex Neil got Norwich up, but I suspect some apathy on here is based on the way he’s got his Preston team to play, which is quite cynical.

But by the same token, if you were offered the most cynical one, Ben Pearson, you or I would take him.

FWIW I share the apathy on Neil. I think he got on a hot streak with Norwich but have my doubts over his ability to replicate - and God knows I’ve had enough streaks from City in the last 4 years to last me a lifetime 

3 minutes ago, Lez said:

In recent times at Preston he's having to work with what he gets given so potentially can't play the style he wants to. Apparently after selling Hugill for what £10m plus he was given less than a million to replace him etc. His Norwich team from memory were good, looked into the championship sides around christmas and can remember since he's taken over at PNE there's been a clear intention to press similar to our 17/18 style, doesn't allow opposition to make many passes per defensive action they perform etc.

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hear me out here. 

That's pretty sound logic, SD. I agree on Hughton. His agent may have sounded out Ashton about salary, budgets, managerial control etc and advised his client that it wasn't a goer. The Gerrard link always seemed fanciful, considering his rumoured salary, the cost of a potential compensation claim and well, why would he want to leave Rangers for City?

Lets just pray that the next Head Coach, whoever they are, can get City into the Premier League.

Just now, Lrrr said:

In recent times at Preston he's having to work with what he gets given so potentially can't play the style he wants to. Apparently after selling Hugill for what £10m plus he was given less than a million to replace him etc. His Norwich team from memory were good, looked into the championship sides around christmas and can remember since he's taken over at PNE there's been a clear intention to press similar to our 17/18 style, doesn't allow opposition to make many passes per defensive action they perform etc.

True I agree he can do better than Preston.....personally Cook has been my number 1 choice from the start do will be disappointed if we dont get him.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Long time admirer of Cook.

Alex Neil got Norwich up, but I suspect some apathy on here is based on the way he’s got his Preston team to play, which is quite cynical.

Allow him to actually reinvest some of what he brings in and perhaps he could produce a better style, seems very practical/making the best of what he has style at PNE.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But by the same token, if you were offered the most cynical one, Ben Pearson, you or I would take him.

FWIW I share the apathy on Neil. I think he got on a hot streak with Norwich but have my doubts over his ability to replicate - and God knows I’ve had enough streaks from City in the last 4 years to last me a lifetime 

Yeah, totally.  I like what his Preston team do on the ball though.

3 minutes ago, Lez said:

True I agree he can do better than Preston.....personally Cook has been my number 1 choice from the start do will be disappointed if we dont get him.

Been on my list since I really started to see LJ’s flaws (Around Nov 2018).

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yeah, totally.  I like what his Preston team do on the ball though.

Been on my list since I really started to see LJ’s flaws (Around Nov 2018).

Been on my list since watching his Chesterfield sides in League 1.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Cook seems to be heavily linked with Birmingham and Boro. He is not a polished operator.....the opposite of SL and MA.

For that reason I question whether either side will be seriously interested.

I think you’re confusing “Northern” with “Polished”.

He comes across as unpolished but he knows his stuff. SL will have seen the “Wilder effect” and he’s the closest to that.

And why would anyone - particularly Cook who’s living through admin - be interested in Brum but not a stable club

Archived