IGNORED

It’s going to be Paul Cook

Silvio Dante

Everyone seems to writing off the chances if a foreign nanager coming in.

I can't remember if it was Mark Ashton or Sreve Lansdown that was talking about those who'd applied and really emphasised the fact that many had applied from abroad.

The 3 outstanding teams in our division this season all managed by foreign managers

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you’re confusing “Northern” with “Polished”.

He comes across as unpolished but he knows his stuff. SL will have seen the “Wilder effect” and he’s the closest to that.

And why would anyone - particularly Cook who’s living through admin - be interested in Brum but not a stable club

He is direct and aggressive, he is not polished in front of the media, he is not a yes man, he is not afraid to challenge his owners.

Why you have raised the fact he is northern I dont understand.

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hear me out here. 

I don’t believe SL was holding out for the slim possibility of playoffs under Holden. That would have made no sense, and he, as us, wouldn’t want us to be rudderless.

I then think logically. If it was to be Hughton - he could be in by now. He wouldn’t get a prem job and we know he’s interested. Lesser extent won’t be Mick as he’d be in by now.

It wouldn’t be Robins, or Lowe, or Flynn. They’re in jobs, but there is no current ties - and Robins is already buying for next season. They’d be in by now two weeks after LJ going.

It wouldn’t be Gerrard. I do like the idea but also think it’s fanciful and again, Rangers are in pre season - he could come now, and the SPL starts on 1st August.

It wouldn’t be Howe or Dyche - too big for us.

So, all logic gets me to the following:

- It’s someone in a job currently. But a job that is “live”. I.e a championship manager

- As noted on other threads, it’s someone who can work within the budgets imposed by COVID and improve players, and also go in the clubs philosophy 

Cook, although having moved clubs, is an honourable man - see his current Wigan actions (phoning all staff etc). He won’t leave until after Weds, no doubt, as he wouldn’t walk in their current scenario until the seasons done.

Its Cook. I can’t see any other choice that wouldn’t be in place by now. And, tbf, I’d take that.

So you are ruling out a foreign manager?....You heard it here first, there is at least two being reviewed! we will see!

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

Been on my list since watching his Chesterfield sides in League 1.

Yes, I didn’t need a list then....Cotts was gonna be here forever!!

He’s principled too (even pre-Covid and Wigan Administration), which you’d think SL would like.

Had a nice left foot as a player with Tranmere, Wolves, etc.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, I didn’t need a list then....Cotts was gonna be here forever!!

He’s principled too (even pre-Covid and Wigan Administration), which you’d think SL would like.

Had a nice left foot as a player with Tranmere, Wolves, etc.

He is also the only champ manager who drinks tea from a paper mug on the touch line 

17 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I'm not sure on him either, Preston have been like us the past couple of years, dropping off towards the end of the season. I'd have Cook out of the 2 

I think PNE suffer with having a small squad where a couple of key injuries coupled with general fatigue begins to tell in the end.

Not convinced the timing is such a big clue. I think we're just taking our time. There was a 2 or 3 week delay between sacking SC and appointing LJ, when we could've just appointed LJ much quicker given he was already in SLs mind as a replacement weeks before SC was sacked. 

Cook, so say, is very happy in the north west close to his family and isn't keen on a move south. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Not convinced the timing is such a big clue. I think we're just taking our time. There was a 2 or 3 week delay between sacking SC and appointing LJ, when we could've just appointed LJ much quicker given he was already in SLs mind as a replacement weeks before SC was sacked. 

Cook, so say, is very happy in the north west close to his family and isn't keen on a move south. 

That’s why he moved from Portsmouth isn’t it.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Isn`t that why he left Pompey - to go back `home`? I see he never played south of the Midlands either apart from a short spell at Norwich.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Like Joey Beauchamp and his move to West Ham

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You said two days ago a decision was imminent either Thursday or Friday and it hasnt happened.

As for Cook I would imagine he will go to Birmingham it seems a better fit.

I don’t know who of course, but think the logic of the OP is probably right.

If we wanted Hughton, McCarthy or Karanka there is no reason why they wouldn’t have been appointed by now.

Though it is also possible that Hughton was our original first choice but after speaking to him for whatever reason we have now moved on.

There are a number of managers of rivals, such as Cook, Neil, Warburton, who probably would see our job as a step up.

The Moyes stuff is absolute fantasy land though, as he believes he is a Prem manager & they are safe now.

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Isn`t that why he left Pompey - to go back `home`? I see he never played south of the Midlands either apart from a short spell at Norwich.

I wonder what would happen if Fulham or another top champ club came calling.

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Everyone seems to writing off the chances if a foreign nanager coming in.

I can't remember if it was Mark Ashton or Sreve Lansdown that was talking about those who'd applied and really emphasised the fact that many had applied from abroad.

The 3 outstanding teams in our division this season all managed by foreign managers

Throw in the Forest manager as well, the Norwich guy from last year wasn't bad either, quite simply they are better coaches

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yes. I know someone that worked under Cook at Pompey and wasn't a fan at all. Said he'd never work for him again. A spikey character that holds a grudge. He didn't speak to Robbie Blake for years when he didn't leave Pompey to join Cook at Wigan. Not sure that kind of review will sit well with SL/JL/MA.

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

You said two days ago a decision was imminent either Thursday or Friday and it hasnt happened.

No, I didn't. I said there was news on the vacancy incoming and sure enough within hours the press reported the Cook interest from City. I choose my words very carefully! 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know who of course, but think the logic of the OP is probably right.

If we wanted Hughton, McCarthy or Karanka there is no reason why they wouldn’t have been appointed by now.

Though it is also possible that Hughton was our original first choice but after speaking to him for whatever reason we have now moved on.

There are a number of managers of rivals, such as Cook, Neil, Warburton, who probably would see our job as a step up.

The Moyes stuff is absolute fantasy land though, as he believes he is a Prem manager & they are safe now.

I think you right on Cook, Neil, Warburton - I would be happy with any of these.  

My choice would be Warburton.

3 minutes ago, City37 said:

I think you right on Cook, Neil, Warburton - I would be happy with any of these.  

My choice would be Warburton.

Warbuton done nothing for years. Very polished though MA would love him.

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hear me out here. 

I don’t believe SL was holding out for the slim possibility of playoffs under Holden. That would have made no sense, and he, as us, wouldn’t want us to be rudderless.

I then think logically. If it was to be Hughton - he could be in by now. He wouldn’t get a prem job and we know he’s interested. Lesser extent won’t be Mick as he’d be in by now.

It wouldn’t be Robins, or Lowe, or Flynn. They’re in jobs, but there is no current ties - and Robins is already buying for next season. They’d be in by now two weeks after LJ going.

It wouldn’t be Gerrard. I do like the idea but also think it’s fanciful and again, Rangers are in pre season - he could come now, and the SPL starts on 1st August.

It wouldn’t be Howe or Dyche - too big for us.

So, all logic gets me to the following:

- It’s someone in a job currently. But a job that is “live”. I.e a championship manager

- As noted on other threads, it’s someone who can work within the budgets imposed by COVID and improve players, and also go in the clubs philosophy 

Cook, although having moved clubs, is an honourable man - see his current Wigan actions (phoning all staff etc). He won’t leave until after Weds, no doubt, as he wouldn’t walk in their current scenario until the seasons done.

Its Cook. I can’t see any other choice that wouldn’t be in place by now. And, tbf, I’d take that.

I get it, and good points. But hoping for better. 

I genuinely think SL is too.

The opportunity is there he's a man that sees that. 

Doubt Gerrard, but Houghton could be holding out £££. SL playing hard ball (e ain't daft)

Personally I think now is the perfect time to go for someone proven at the top end of the championship.

Cook is clearly a good manager but is he the right manager for us at this time to take us to the next level? I’m not sure. 

I’d genuinely be very interested to find out MA’s / SL’s reasoning for not going for Hughton if that doesn’t materialise - I think he’d be a perfect fit for a number of reasons. As people have said though, if we were going down that route I guess he’d be here already! 

Archived