IGNORED

It’s going to be Paul Cook

Silvio Dante

Cook is hugely ambitious and knows when to hop to his next job. He can sense an opportunity. Got Chesterfield up but knew he couldn’t progress them further. 
Saw Portsmouth were a big fish in league 2 and saw a chance to get them up. Days after doing so jumped to Wigan who had come from the championship and still with legacy payments and saw a chance to get them back up. He’s now ready for his next jump to a side ready to challenge for the Prem.

Clever chap. Never been sacked as far as I can tell.  

Wouldn’t mind either Cook or Neil tbh. 

Cant see either fast-tracking us to the Premier in season one. Maybe a possibility in two/three seasons though, once we’ve stabilised.

At least they would shake things up and, I suspect, fairly quickly identify and shunt out the (many) weak links. 

Think both have developed mentally and physically strong, tough teams who can play. That’ll do me. 

I think Cook would be good, clear from his previous jobs that he does bring success. The risk is obviously can he do it at a higher level?

I would also quite like to see a manager from Europe come in, as seems to be the trend for a few successful championship clubs!

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not convinced the timing is such a big clue. I think we're just taking our time. There was a 2 or 3 week delay between sacking SC and appointing LJ, when we could've just appointed LJ much quicker given he was already in SLs mind as a replacement weeks before SC was sacked. 

Cook, so say, is very happy in the north west close to his family and isn't keen on a move south. 

Mind sharing who else was interviewed the same week as Flynn?

I was told one name as definite, one a possible - but only one source for the last 2, whereas a couple for Flynn - hence I don't want to put them on here. Happy to PM chat if you are more comfortable.

Ta.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Long time admirer of Cook.

Alex Neil got Norwich up, but I suspect some apathy on here is based on the way he’s got his Preston team to play, which is quite cynical.

Can be...at home though they can also be quite dominant, or have good possession. Can being the operative word- we've often seen them a) Vs us (when we were good!) and b) Vs us at AG (when we were good/decent)- so it's not the best sample size.

Cook, I'd be more than happy with.

7 hours ago, eric04 said:

Cook is hugely ambitious and knows when to hop to his next job. He can sense an opportunity. Got Chesterfield up but knew he couldn’t progress them further. 
Saw Portsmouth were a big fish in league 2 and saw a chance to get them up. Days after doing so jumped to Wigan who had come from the championship and still with legacy payments and saw a chance to get them back up. He’s now ready for his next jump to a side ready to challenge for the Prem.

Clever chap. Never been sacked as far as I can tell.  

Fits Lansdown's MO...

Progressive,, confidant.

It's gona' be him.

You'd have no worries re; getting relegated,,,.

Obviously lacks having the experience under his belt of promoting a team into the premier League - and that can be priceless.

For those, like me, who are aware of Paul Cook but perhaps have never taken too much notice of him, here's a sample interview.

In these days when a manager is so much at the forefront, and seems to be interviewed so often, he's a very good (and unirritating!) listen imo.

An enthusiastic and likeable individual, and his achievements speak for themselves.

He was my 2nd choice, after Jokanovic, and If he's the man SL has in mind and gets the job I'll be more than happy.

Archived