IGNORED

Alex Neil

Sweeneys Penalties

14 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

He’s got a promotion under his belt and has been working under a far lower budget, a far better manager than Johnson .

I'm not sure where the evidence is that proves he is far better. Yes he has got promotion with Norwich but how much of that was down to him is hard to gauge. His record at PNE is similar to what LJ did with us as far as I can see. 

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm not sure where the evidence is that proves he is far better. Yes he has got promotion with Norwich but how much of that was down to him is hard to gauge. His record at PNE is similar to what LJ did with us as far as I can see. 

Under a much lower budget , what’s lj achieved, Oldham nothing to note, Barnsley record breaking losing run , done ok with us.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Have PNE improved their league positions since he went there? My impression is they are treading water. If that's because he's had to sell his best players then that was LJ's excuse too. 

Can't see how he is any better than Johnson so wouldn't be excited in any way if it's him. 

Difference is Johnson was given the funds to go get the type of player he wanted, Neil is being given about 10% of what he brings in. The Preston fan has said they couldn’t afford Kiefer Moore to replace Hugill, pretty sure he went to Wigan for £1.5m to £2m

38 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Difference is Johnson was given the funds to go get the type of player he wanted, Neil is being given about 10% of what he brings in. The Preston fan has said they couldn’t afford Kiefer Moore to replace Hugill, pretty sure he went to Wigan for £1.5m to £2m

I’m sure SL/MA/JL have had a very close look at these:

48F10F4D-60ED-4441-9453-8D796843CE10.thumb.jpeg.c7ace0b13b23449d8388bdc4bde8ce79.jpeg

A9AE79B6-A98C-4B6D-BC5B-ADD6673AABBD.thumb.jpeg.8cb1a26033886ba8a72b98964e7c86dc.jpeg

Perhaps they should look at the whole model.  Other operating costs are huge in comparison.

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah Barnsley initally wanted £1.5m and we wouldn't pay it. The lad wanted to come as well. This was 6 months after we'd sold Hugill for £9.5m.

So when you look at it like that, it becomes an almost impossible job to improve the team. We've done well this season to stay in the mix for so long.

The chatter suggests we will be losing both Pearson and Davies in the next few weeks. Both have 1 year left on their contracts and have had Prem interest in the past.

11 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Yeah Barnsley initally wanted £1.5m and we wouldn't pay it. The lad wanted to come as well. This was 6 months after we'd sold Hugill for £9.5m.

So when you look at it like that, it becomes an almost impossible job to improve the team. We've done well this season to stay in the mix for so long.

The chatter suggests we will be losing both Pearson and Davies in the next few weeks. Both have 1 year left on their contracts and have had Prem interest in the past.

I’d be interested in both Davies and Pearson. Wouldn’t mind Browne while we are at it ? do you guys look at any of our players the way we do yours? Like Browne, Davies and Pearson aren’t what media would call top names in the league. Do any of our players or any other players from the championship you’d like to have that aren’t top names?

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d be interested in both Davies and Pearson. Wouldn’t mind Browne while we are at it ? do you guys look at any of our players the way we do yours? Like Browne, Davies and Pearson aren’t what media would call top names in the league. Do any of our players or any other players from the championship you’d like to have that aren’t top names?

We typically do not sell to divisional rivals, instead we sell to Premier League clubs. But then they end up playing against us anyway out on loan the following season ? We've already come up against Hugill (QPR) and Robinson (WBA) this season and Cunningham was at Blackburn on loan but got injured.

I don't think our fans look on at any other club's defensive or midfield options with much envy in this league, but we'd probably swap our striking options with all 23 other clubs. Ours are shocking. Neil wanted to sign Nahki Wells in January but there was no chance of our owner even bidding half of what was required.

As for players I might like in your squad who aren't neccessarily top names, I've always rated Korey Smith since he was playing for Oldham against us in League 1. Have always thought Kasey Palmer has been underused whereever he's been too. Neil wanted him at Preston in 2018 but he went to Blackburn instead.

With the likes of Hughton, Jokanovic and Gerrard either uninterested or unattainable, I think Alex Neil is the outstanding candidate. Success in his first managerial role with Hamilton, then took over at Norwich and transformed their season to get them promoted to the Prem and has since done a solid job at Preston under limited resources to develop his squad how he would like (from what I've heard). For me he is the prefect hybrid of a young, up and coming manager (he's still only 39) with the experience and rare accolades of promotions on CV.

We have a similar philosophy to Preston in developing young talent and selling for profit, however Lansdown showed faith in LJ and MA by providing a significant amount of funds from any outgoing transfers to develop his squad. Unfortunately for LJ it didn't work out, however Alex might well be interested in a similar project but with real backing and a realistic project to reach the Prem.

2 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

He’s a realistic and decent appointment if it happens.

Agreed. Wouldn't be disappointed if he was appointed, has done well with Preston, on a bit more of a budget than us, and still seems to finish in a similar position to us most years.

Got Norwich promoted as well, so does tick the boxes. Maybe feels that leaving Preston now is the right thing for him?

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Maybe why we’ve waited till the end of the season? He could just stay in Bristol, guess that’s why it’s a cheap option, save on the transport.

Throw his luggage on the back of the coach - half the job done :whistle:

Archived