IGNORED

Alex Neil

Sweeneys Penalties

39 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Maybe why we’ve waited till the end of the season? He could just stay in Bristol, guess that’s why it’s a cheap option, save on the transport.

"Come on gaffer, the coach is ready to leave, we want to get home"

"Nah you're alright lads, I think I'll stay down here"

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

"Come on gaffer, the coach is ready to leave, we want to get home"

"Nah you're alright lads, I think I'll stay down here"

Nah I'm all for the teams coming out and him walking into the home dugout reversing his tie to show red and white

47 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have not really thought about Neil. But really he has to be one of the best realistic options.

Pressing a lot, very aggressive play, and surely must tell his players to go down in the box with all those penalties they win! ?

At Preston he went 4231 most of the time. I think he made some decent signings there. 

Same model as ours. Surely a smaller budget. So really it seems he is so far proven to be better than LJ in that, as well as what he achieved before Preston.

And, to be fair, he's out-smarted us more often than not when we've played him and he has Preston punching above their weight. They've had a bad time since the restart but I don't think many managers would get more than he has out of that Preston side. 

4 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

AN doesn’t have the worst record so wouldn’t the the worst shout. 

Is it just me or does he come across as a really dislikable bloke!? 

I think the word you are looking for is dour.  

Often used when describing our friends north of the border ?

17 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

AN doesn’t have the worst record so wouldn’t the the worst shout. 

Is it just me or does he come across as a really dislikable bloke!? 

PG Woodhouse once said you’d never mistake a Scotsman with a grievance for a ray of sunshine.

Seems apposite in his case (still wouldn’t mind him, though). 

9 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The phrase "realistic option" to me, sounds like bringing in someone like we've mostly had. Comfortable. We are primed and frankly crying out for a lift off appointment. I don't feel Alex Neil is that person. If we are ever going to make that next step, we must do something different and aim higher.

Like bringing in someone whose been promoted out of this division before?

Just now, Lrrr said:

Like bringing in someone whose been promoted out of this division before?

Like bringing in someone who's built promotion squads and who's ideally done it more than once and has some respect in the premier league. He did, to his credit, get Norwich up, but took over in January that season and went on a great run into the play-offs. Did he really build that squad? For me, he hasn't pulled up enough trees since to convince me we'd be premier league bound under his leadership. 

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Like bringing in someone who's built promotion squads and who's ideally done it more than once and has some respect in the premier league. He did, to his credit, get Norwich up, but took over in January that season and went on a great run into the play-offs. Did he really build that squad? For me, he hasn't pulled up enough trees since to convince me we'd be premier league bound under his leadership. 

That's a very short list and potentially outside the reach of our finances. Neil has been doing a cracking job at Preston given he has **** all money to work with there, personally very interested what he could do with finances like ours, we seemingly also have players he wanted to bring in at Preston but couldn't afford (Palmer/Wells to name 2)

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

On Neil as a person. I can't imagine the club wanting someone who really seems to lack charisma with the media. It makes no difference on the pitch.

But LJ was a very confident talker. I do wonder if that sort of thing matters?

I think it does Jon.

Alex Neil would not be the worst choice, there are many other that fit that bill, but not for me.

Houghton is my man, do I think it will happen? No. So SG for me,although I think getting him out of the Teddy Bears will be tricky - but not impossible.

I think SL wants a name, so not discounting Terry.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah just had a read of it.

They're in terrible form. The football is apparently negative and awful to watch.

They seemed to rely a lot on winning penalties earlier in the season. And that stopped working.

Seems it's a problem up front. To be fair Stockley is bang average..really not championship level imo.

Nugent old and past it. Barkuizen good but more a winger.

Maybe if he had one of ours then they'd look a lot better. 

Can't help but not want him after reading those comments! Many want him out!

I have a Preston fan as a friend. They say he is not much liked, but this is mainly down to them failing to reach the playoffs after a promising run until the season suspension.

He has been able to get a lot out of his players though, no big names apart from Sinclair. Very little money spent but a lot of team spirit. I think SteveL might like this as although we haven’t been shy of spending we might need to go a bit ‘back to basics’ and play the players in their correct positions, give them their role and let them bond.

My friend says Preston are a bit of a plodding team with a lot of certainties, eg the kit is always almost identical to the previous season, they don’t spend any money, Pearson will miss a chunk of the season due to suspension and they don’t ever get to the Premier League. This season they at least had hope of going up, and that’s what has killed their patience. 

Previous to Neil they lost Grayson to Sunderland, so they aren’t in the habit of sacking managers lately, and they’ve had some decent names in the past. 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I have a Preston fan as a friend. They say he is not much liked, but this is mainly down to them failing to reach the playoffs after a promising run until the season suspension.

He has been able to get a lot out of his players though, no big names apart from Sinclair. Very little money spent but a lot of team spirit. I think SteveL might like this as although we haven’t been shy of spending we might need to go a bit ‘back to basics’ and play the players in their correct positions, give them their role and let them bond.

My friend says Preston are a bit of a plodding team with a lot of certainties, eg the kit is always almost identical to the previous season, they don’t spend any money, Pearson will miss a chunk of the season due to suspension and they don’t ever get to the Premier League. This season they at least had hope of going up, and that’s what has killed their patience. 

Previous to Neil they lost Grayson to Sunderland, so they aren’t in the habit of sacking managers lately, and they’ve had some decent names in the past. 

I think the big factor for him is not being able to afford who he wants to replace players he loses, wanted Palmer didn't get him, wanted Kieffer Moore didn't get him, wanted Wells and didn't get him, instead he gets given about a tenth of the money they sell players for to reinvest, we'd give him much more.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

PG Woodhouse once said you’d never mistake a Scotsman with a grievance for a ray of sunshine.

Seems apposite in his case (still wouldn’t mind him, though). 

Ah, it’s rare and pleasant to see Plum quoted in OTIB! But, please, Wodehouse not Woodhouse ....

51 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think it does Jon.

Alex Neil would not be the worst choice, there are many other that fit that bill, but not for me.

Houghton is my man, do I think it will happen? No. So SG for me,although I think getting him out of the Teddy Bears will be tricky - but not impossible.

I think SL wants a name, so not discounting Terry.

Want Hughton as well but not confident , as far as Neil goes not sure , we will have to see but no one should think it’s a shoe in , we have been told in the last few days by various itk that him, the Cowleys , Lowe , Terry and even Robins all definitely  were nailed on for the job 

4 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Want Hughton as well but not confident , as far as Neil goes not sure , we will have to see but no one should think it’s a shoe in , we have been told in the last few days by various itk that him, the Cowleys , Lowe , Terry and even Robins all definitely  were nailed on for the job 

I still wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Robins. We know that Lansdown likes him and wanted him for the job in past times.

Given some of the other names touted, neither would I be upset.

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I think the big factor for him is not being able to afford who he wants to replace players he loses, wanted Palmer didn't get him, wanted Kieffer Moore didn't get him, wanted Wells and didn't get him, instead he gets given about a tenth of the money they sell players for to reinvest, we'd give him much more.

Indeed, that was a point that I intended to make. He would be on a much bigger budget here and would be able to build his team differently to how Preston work, that would suit him. But again I stress how he has got a lot out of players he largely inherated. 

No I don’t think he is a cert as some are suggesting, but I can see why he might be on our radar.

On 19/07/2020 at 18:08, robin_unreliant said:

Have PNE improved their league positions since he went there? My impression is they are treading water. If that's because he's had to sell his best players then that was LJ's excuse too. 

Can't see how he is any better than Johnson so wouldn't be excited in any way if it's him. 

I think the difference here is that LJ was given good funds to replace players, although perhaps not the time needed being so close to windows closing.

Archived