IGNORED

Alex Neil

Sweeneys Penalties

On 20/07/2020 at 18:44, petehinton said:

Has an outrageous pay out that apparently is the main reason why he didn’t go to Stoke..

According to their forum its a release clause so like a player's release clause could be open for negotiation if PNE were willing for him to move on to bring someone else in if they wanted a change. 

On 20/07/2020 at 18:44, petehinton said:

Has an outrageous pay out that apparently is the main reason why he didn’t go to Stoke..

Stoke were willing to buy him out and give him a very large contract, by all accounts. However they supposedly tried to contact him behind our backs which led to PNE reporting Stoke to the EFL and refusing to deal with them - https://www.pnefc.net/news/2019/november/club-statement/

As it happened he wasn't keen on the move anyway, we were actually top of the league at the time and Stoke were bottom.

However it's now widely believed that he'd be open to moving.

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

He’s no Hughton, Gerrard or Pat Lam type name is he.... but he’s probably good with PowerPoint,  not too expensive and with a solid couple of years of not quite making the play-offs behind him. 

With a squad on a tiny budget, Hugill sold for approx £8m gets given £800,000 to replace him, Callum Robinson sold for big money and is allowed Scott Sinclair etc. Wanted Wells too expensive, wanted palmer on loan when he went to Blackburn no etc allow him to raise the value of players he can deal with and I think he could get us top 6. 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

With a squad on a tiny budget, Hugill sold for approx £8m gets given £800,000 to replace him, Callum Robinson sold for big money and is allowed Scott Sinclair etc. Wanted Wells too expensive, wanted palmer on loan when he went to Blackburn no etc allow him to raise the value of players he can deal with and I think he could get us top 6. 

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/neil-out.3430952/

You might well be right about his chances  here but this isn’t a great read. 
I live in the area. He’s not very popular and style / tactics often questioned. 

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/neil-out.3430952/

You might well be right about his chances  here but this isn’t a great read. 
I live in the area. He’s not very popular and style / tactics often questioned. 

Pragmatism because he can’t go recruit the players he wants to, as said he wanted Nahki wells but could only afford Stockley or has to use Barkhuizen upfront. He wants to play intense pressing football but can’t recruit who he wants to for it. It sounds similar to us loosing Bobby except we want the funds to get who we wanted.

preston consistently top half bar 1 season is no mean feat

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Pragmatism because he can’t go recruit the players he wants to, as said he wanted Nahki wells but could only afford Stockley or has to use Barkhuizen upfront. He wants to play intense pressing football but can’t recruit who he wants to for it. It sounds similar to us loosing Bobby except we want the funds to get who we wanted.

preston consistently top half bar 1 season is no mean feat

All I know is that the Preston fans round here will not be bothered, the football isn’t good. They expect to, and almost certainly will, keep finishing solid top half - they have for ages.  they’re in the same place they were when Grayson left. No better, no worse. 

Preston fan here! The fanbase is pretty split on Neil, but up until say November 2019 he could do no wrong - we were flying and no one doubted him.

Unfortunately though we hit a rocky patch which continued after football resumed, and in turn some fans have wanted him replaced.

Personally I cannot see us getting anyone as good as him should he leave. He has a tendency to stick to his 4231 formation but showed some flexibility for the first time against Sheffield Wednesday a few weeks back and we won.

i believe if he were given more funds to play with, we would be in the playoffs. It’s well documented that the owner has never given him the resources needed, and we were a good striker away from achieving the top six.

AN has made noises about the need for a new striker next season, showing signs of frustration, but from what I have heard this isn’t going to be happening.

I have also heard that you were set to make an approach for him the day after our game, so it would not surprise me if the man who is talked about on the back page of the Bristol Post tomorrow is him.

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

All I know is that the Preston fans round here will not be bothered, the football isn’t good. They expect to, and almost certainly will, keep finishing solid top half - they have for ages.  they’re in the same place they were when Grayson left. No better, no worse. 

I dont know what else Preston fans could expect, they are punching well above their weight compared to attendance tables, budget etc.

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Odds have dropped today from 8-1 to 5-1 with SkyBet.

Could be another interviewed candidate?

Wouldn't surprise me, although I doubt it would be publicised unless it got to the point of him taking the job, same with anyone else who's currently employed (Cook is different due to the circumstances)

2 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

It appears that they are trying to keep him under wraps as nothing has been mentioned about him being on the shortlist. Despite this he is one of the favourites in the betting. It looks to me as though he could be our man.

I'd be happy with that appointment. Has by and large finished around the same place as us most seasons, on a very smaller budget. Preston are also very rarely easy to beat.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I know he's a very solid manager with a decent record, but I wouldn't feel particularly excited by this appointment. He'd probably be good for us, but I don't find him particularly enthusing. 

For me Hughton stands alone in terms of excitement because of his history/rep and there aren't many with that. So out of gaffers we could name (ie excluding unknown foreign coaches) Neil would probably be the best fit for us in terms of role, willingness to work in a project and sell players etc and has the experience of getting a team promoted to the PL as well

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

For me Hughton stands alone in terms of excitement because of his history/rep and there aren't many with that. So out of gaffers we could name (ie excluding unknown foreign coaches) Neil would probably be the best fit for us in terms of role, willingness to work in a project and sell players etc and has the experience of getting a team promoted to the PL as well

Out of likes but spot on.

Archived