IGNORED

Alex Neil

Sweeneys Penalties

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I know he's a very solid manager with a decent record, but I wouldn't feel particularly excited by this appointment. He'd probably be good for us, but I don't find him particularly enthusing. 

That’s how I feel.

I would be more excited for Cook or Hughton. 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

For me Hughton stands alone in terms of excitement because of his history/rep and there aren't many with that. So out of gaffers we could name (ie excluding unknown foreign coaches) Neil would probably be the best fit for us in terms of role, willingness to work in a project and sell players etc and has the experience of getting a team promoted to the PL as well

That's true - I can't put my finger on why, but he doesn't really do anything for me. I actually find Paul Cook a far more interesting appointment.

Just now, MRSATAN said:

Last season Preston at our place were the most depressing team I watched,the cheating by their players was the worse I’ve seen,that is ingrained in training/matches by the coaching staff,something I don’t want to see down the gate

The dark arts is part of the game and something we have definitely lacked over the years. If it means we win games then I'm all for it. Preston play brilliant football at times too.

Would probably edge it over Cook for me if we can’t/won’t get Hughton. 

PNE punch so far above the sum of their parts it’s unreal. I’d rather win 1-0 playing shithouse football under Neil than draw 3-3 playing wildly entertaining expansive football. 

I think he could potentially be a good fit. 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Taking your time with a throw in when you're ahead is one thing; it's natural. Deliberately diving to win a pen, deliberately provoking an opponent, that's cheating, and that's what PNE do under Neil

If it got us in the Prem I for one wouldn't mind.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Taking your time with a throw in when you're ahead is one thing; it's natural. Deliberately diving to win a pen, deliberately provoking an opponent, that's cheating, and that's what PNE do under Neil

For that reason alone, I prefer Hughton to both Neil and Cook.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

PNE punch so far above the sum of their parts it’s unreal. I’d rather win 1-0 playing shithouse football under Neil than draw 3-3 playing wildly entertaining expansive football. 

I'm the opposite!

Beauty is much more important than success (which is also what I tell my missus when she complains that I'm skint....)

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

1 minute ago, sludge said:

If it got us in the Prem I for one wouldn't mind.

And there's the dilemma! Debate the other day, on another thread, with posters arguing strongly that it's attractive football that matters more than league position. And most of the anti-LJ sentiment this season has been about quality of football, not league position. Interested in how @Nogbad the Bad would view this? 

I suppose you do what it takes with the players you have - points mean bonuses and the manager keeps his job.

Horrible when its against your team, but for a lot of supporters its not so bad when its your team thats doing it.

Anyway, I think he fits the profile the club are seeking and, if its true that he has been interviewed, he must be a strong contender for the job. A promotion to the SPL with an unfashionable club and another to the EPL with Norwich, plus keeping PNE hovering around the playoffs isn't a bad record.

And there's the dilemma! Debate the other day, on another thread, with posters arguing strongly that it's attractive football that matters more than league position. And most of the anti-LJ sentiment this season has been about quality of football, not league position. Interested in how @Nogbad the Bad would view this? 

In my 30 plus years of watching us play, I don't remember us playing huge amounts of attractive football. And I don't ever remember us being good at shit housery!  ?

8 minutes ago, sludge said:

In my 30 plus years of watching us play, I don't remember us playing huge amounts of attractive football. And I don't ever remember us being good at shit housery!  ?

Ha ha, I know what you mean! 

We were attractive under Terry Cooper, but that was in the fourth tier and we were successful too much of the time. I suppose the other obvious time was when we had the likes of Jacki, Andy Cole together and you knew we'd score, just usually lose 3-4!

I think we've probably been better at the shit housery under LJ than anyone, which isn't saying much, I know!

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can he bring Daniel Johnson with him?  

Another number 10, just what we need!

No thanks, bring Ben Pearson or Ben Davies. Or Darnell Fisher.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can he bring Daniel Johnson with him?  

Another number 10, just what we need!

No thanks, bring Ben Pearson or Ben Davies. Or Darnell Fisher.

Admittedly, I’ve been an exile for quite some time due to living away and having young kids.

When I was an ST holder, late 90s to mid 00s, the Ashton Gate crowd was always at its loudest when we had an energetic, fired up side who were pressing and tackling hard.

Thats what I want to see from City, fast-paced and exciting football with a tough, no nonsense spine.

I think Neil would bring that.

16 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

People really turning their noses up at Alex Neil?

High pressing, high tempo football, a promotion to the Premier League and has done a cracking job at Preston.

No pleasing some is there? **** me.

High tempo football? Really? Read Preston fans thoughts on him and his football. 

Archived