IGNORED

Alex Neil

Sweeneys Penalties

3 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

High tempo football? Really? Read Preston fans thoughts on him and his football. 

At home absolutely. Preston fans are becoming like Ipswich fans in that they're getting way above their station, he's overachieving every season with them.

46 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

Last season Preston at our place were the most depressing team I watched,the cheating by their players was the worse I’ve seen,that is ingrained in training/matches by the coaching staff,something I don’t want to see down the gate

Now come on Satan. The most depressing team seen at Ashton Gate last season (on numerous occasions) has got to be City 

23 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Interestingly my mate who's a Norwich fan said he would have Neil over Hughton. Their fans really didn't like Hughtons negative style apparently. 

Probably makes sense. The difference with Norwich compared to Brighton is that Hughton came in when they were already in the PL and so went to the more defensive style straightaway, whereas he got Brighton up playing decent football.

52 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

Last season Preston at our place were the most depressing team I watched,the cheating by their players was the worse I’ve seen,that is ingrained in training/matches by the coaching staff,something I don’t want to see down the gate

Last season? 

They have been like it for years, every game at AG has been like that under him.

Perhaps because the season was over or there was no crowd but they weren’t quite as bad in the last game.

Horrible side but truth is, if he joins & gets us top six not many will care how he does it.

49 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

The dark arts is part of the game and something we have definitely lacked over the years. If it means we win games then I'm all for it. Preston play brilliant football at times too.

Agreed, we've been very naive for far too long. We had this about us a little during our title winning season, the likes of Wade Elliot, Aden Flint, Wilbraham all knew when to put themsevles about and be clever.  It didn't stop us playing good football as well

43 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Would probably edge it over Cook for me if we can’t/won’t get Hughton. 

PNE punch so far above the sum of their parts it’s unreal. I’d rather win 1-0 playing shithouse football under Neil than draw 3-3 playing wildly entertaining expansive football. 

I think he could potentially be a good fit. 

30 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Preston have always been the team we seem to compare ourself with most. Do they play an exciting brand of football? No. Do they do well on a budget? Yes. 

How much of this is down to Neil I don't know. But my concern is would Neil suit our brand of football? Imo I don't think he would. 

Depends if it's 1-0 every week or just knowing when to shut up shop and do what has to be done. Without looking at all of Preston's results, they scored less than us (by 1) last season and conceded 9 less.

For the last 2 years at least I couldn't tell you what our "brand" of football actually is!

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha, I know what you mean! 

We were attractive under Terry Cooper, but that was in the fourth tier and we were successful too much of the time. I suppose the other obvious time was when we had the likes of Jacki, Andy Cole together and you knew we'd score, just usually lose 3-4!

I think we've probably been better at the shit housery under LJ than anyone, which isn't saying much, I know!

Yeah, it's definitely something we've become better at in the last couple of years, especially away from home. Ofren if you read opposition forums after we've gone there and won, they'll be complaining about us timewasting, being niggly etc.

3 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

I know all teams are up to it at times, but players endlessly falling to the ground stopping the game, I don't want to watch that. In recent years Preston and Birmingham (under Rowett I think) stood out as particularly unwatchable. 

I have a feeling that Dean Holden could stay on in some capacity if Neil is appointed. Holden and Neil did their pro-licence course together and apparently get on well. Could be good to have that continuity running through the club I feel.

42 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And there's the dilemma! Debate the other day, on another thread, with posters arguing strongly that it's attractive football that matters more than league position. And most of the anti-LJ sentiment this season has been about quality of football, not league position. Interested in how @Nogbad the Bad would view this? 

There has to be a happy medium, but providing a decent quality of football that fans find engaging, and hopefully exciting, leading to a reasonable amount of entertainment, should surely be a basic expected of any incoming manager.

As for LJ, the poor quality, often mind numbing, football his charges served up so often at AG over the last 2 seasons should not be acceptable for any manager at any level.

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Probably makes sense. The difference with Norwich compared to Brighton is that Hughton came in when they were already in the PL and so went to the more defensive style straightaway, whereas he got Brighton up playing decent football.

I am sure the  Canaries fans enjoyed Farke’s open attacking football as they got beaten most weeks and now find themselves back in the Championship.

15 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

I have a feeling that Dean Holden could stay on in some capacity if Neil is appointed. Holden and Neil did their pro-licence course together and apparently get on well. Could be good to have that continuity running through the club I feel.

I agree with this.

In a recent interview, I think before the Preston game whilst some thought he seemed a bit downhearted at the prospect of his time at City coming to an end, I actually thought the opposite in that he seemed to be talking about next season as if he expected (or knew) that he'd still be here.

Hello City Fans , quite a while since I posted - Alex Neill certainly divides opinion amongst Preston fans ! 

I think on the positive he has done exceptionally well to have finished in the top half for the last three seasons with the squad we have - we have not replaced Hugill , Robinson , Cunningham and the lack of goals this season was partly responsible for us tailing of and not making the playoffs .. he is well paid after Preston locked him into a 3 Year contract last year after Stoke had shown interest ...

The negatives , the style of football especially in the last six months has frankly been negative  , turgid , sideways and backwards football and we seem more concerned about the opposition and how they set up than ourselves , I recently voted that I wouldn't be bothered to see him leave as although with our budget / crowds / recent history we should be top end of League One / bottom third of the championship its very hard to watch week in week out and for that reason alone I would not be bothered to see him go , he was very upbeat in his first couple of seasons , high press ( dark arts has always been a part of his management ) , we tried to win games not hope for a 1-0 but thats disappeared and some of that I think is down to the owner and how he runs the club / transfer policy 

Do I think Alex Neill will move on , reinvigorate himself and become a top draw manager ? - not sure in honesty but being a Preston fans for over 40 Years and doing very well it perhaps says a lot that I wouldn't be at all bothered if he left and like AJ he's very very streaky once in a bad run it goes on for a lot of games ....

Mortis

3 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Hello City Fans , quite a while since I posted - Alex Neill certainly divides opinion amongst Preston fans ! 

I think on the positive he has done exceptionally well to have finished in the top half for the last three seasons with the squad we have - we have not replaced Hugill , Robinson , Cunningham and the lack of goals this season was partly responsible for us tailing of and not making the playoffs .. he is well paid after Preston locked him into a 3 Year contract last year after Stoke had shown interest ...

The negatives , the style of football especially in the last six months has frankly been negative  , turgid , sideways and backwards football and we seem more concerned about the opposition and how they set up than ourselves , I recently voted that I wouldn't be bothered to see him leave as although with our budget / crowds / recent history we should be top end of League One / bottom third of the championship its very hard to watch week in week out and for that reason alone I would not be bothered to see him go , he was very upbeat in his first couple of seasons , high press ( dark arts has always been a part of his management ) , we tried to win games not hope for a 1-0 but thats disappeared and some of that I think is down to the owner and how he runs the club / transfer policy 

Do I think Alex Neill will move on , reinvigorate himself and become a top draw manager ? - not sure in honesty but being a Preston fans for over 40 Years and doing very well it perhaps says a lot that I wouldn't be at all bothered if he left and like AJ he's very very streaky once in a bad run it goes on for a lot of games ....

Mortis

He comes across as dour and a bit abrasive - would that be a fair description of him ?

3 minutes ago, Mortis said:

The negatives , the style of football especially in the last six months has frankly been negative  , turgid , sideways and backwards football and we seem more concerned about the opposition and how they set up than ourselves 

that sounds depressingly familiar.... 

8 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Mortis

Jesus. You’ve literally just described Johnson’s reign here. 

Don’t know if he’s what we need, doesn’t feel like it would lift the club and push us on, rather continue trundling along and missing out on play offs. 

If it is true that we are choosing between Neil, Hughton and Cook then I think that is three gold choices who I’d be happy with. I think Neil is the most solid appointment of the three - I’d feel more confident of him doing well than Hughton or Cook but I think Cook has a possibility of being outstanding and would be my first choice. 

But all three have a decent pedigree and track record and fit in with the sort of manager I would hope we go for.

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Now 11/10, not that it means much, Hughton was 1/4   !

Actually means nothing. It’s just people putting money on certain candidates based on recent media reports. They know just as much as we do. 

1 hour ago, Bainsey said:

Sorry mate...that has been the problem over the last few years. We need totally fresh personnel with new ideas and visions. 

40 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Actually means nothing. It’s just people putting money on certain candidates based on recent media reports. They know just as much as we do. 

Interesting thing with this one as opposed to Hughton, Cook, Holden is that, as far as I’m aware, it hasn’t been prompted by a story.

Archived