Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do you think Alex Neil would be able to get us promoted with some money behind him? 

Without a doubt. 

Just look at what he’s done with us with absolutely nothing behind him. For context, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you sold Webster for £20M and straight away reinvested £8M in Kalas.

In PR1, we sold Jordan Hugill for £9M then replaced him (12 months later) with Jayden Stockley for £750K. 

53 minutes ago, UpTheWhites said:

Alex Neil is a top manager and would be daft not to take the job. 

An owner that backs the manager, a new stadium, brand new training ground being built (compared to the debacle surrounding our mysterious new training ground)...

A nice city as well, Bristol. Not that it's too bad up here, despite some of the comments above! 

For years we've been one striker away from the play offs and potentially even the top two, and more than ever you've been able to sense the growing frustration in his voice since the end of the season. 

Should he go, and I hope he doesn't, he'd leave with my best wishes and hopes that he gets you promoted to show our stingy owner that he's worth backing. 

True enough, I used to work at Warton quite a bit and often stayed in Wrea Green and the Clifton Arms. 

We do have form though when it comes to not bringing in a striker when we need one.

Just now, Portland Bill said:

Simply, money going on other candidates. 

While true for lowering the odds for the other candidates I still think 20/1 is a big drift in odds, any thoughts of him being realistic would have seen him out at 12/1 or so still

17 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Drifted to 20/1, either negotiations have been water tight about info getting out or there is nothing there

The City Board would require permission from their counterparts at Deepdale, in order to speak with Neil. These approaches are usually publicised. As we've heard nothing to that effect it's probably a rumour about a rumour.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

While true for lowering the odds for the other candidates I still think 20/1 is a big drift in odds, any thoughts of him being realistic would have seen him out at 12/1 or so still

Fair point👍 

I just think it’s one big guessing game atm, the bookies know as much as we do..... nothing!

11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

The City Board would require permission from their counterparts at Deepdale, in order to speak with Neil. These approaches are usually publicised. As we've heard nothing to that effect it's probably a rumour about a rumour.

This is a myth.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes its not.

Well as Cook is now out of the running apparently, I think Holden is being used as a smokescreen and Neil will be appointed. Which the majority of fans would be content with as at least it won't be Holden. 

21 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Drifted to 20/1, either negotiations have been water tight about info getting out or there is nothing there

⬇️⬇️⬇️

21 hours ago, Riaz said:

This is a myth.

Yep.  

On 04/08/2020 at 14:59, Riaz said:

This is a myth.

Yeah sometimes it’s kept very firmly under wraps.

If a manager in work goes for an interview or has permission to speak to another club but then doesn’t get the job, if it were public it would become very difficult for them to return to their club.

By all accounts we interviewed Uwe Rösler along with Neil when we last had a vacancy. Fleetwood didn’t have to announce it and preferred to keep it quiet.

22 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Yeah sometimes it’s kept very firmly under wraps.

If a manager in work goes for an interview or has permission to speak to another club but then doesn’t get the job, if it were public it would become very difficult for them to return to their club.

By all accounts we interviewed Uwe Rösler along with Neil when we last had a vacancy. Fleetwood didn’t have to announce it and preferred to keep it quiet.

Bit of a random question nothing to do with Alex Neil

What do you think of Will Keane when he played for you? I see he is out of contract.

I know he hardly ever scores and is injured a lot, but whenever I have seen him i've been impressed! 😂

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bit of a random question nothing to do with Alex Neil

What do you think of Will Keane when he played for you? I see he is out of contract.

I know he hardly ever scores and is injured a lot, but whenever I have seen him i've been impressed! 😂

He didn't do much, scored once in 20 games but despite that, he still felt PNE was below his standing in the world. We'd signed him on a season-long loan but he asked to return to Man Utd as soon as the January transfer window opened to go back to compete for a first team place! For the remainder of the season all he did was play 20 minutes away at Shrewsbury in the FA Cup.

Was a stupid decision because he'd actually just started to settle in to our team as well.

He's always had a lot of ability but his career has been hampered by injuries and also the fact that he thinks himself far, far better than he actually is.

Edited by pnefcok
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, pnefcok said:

He didn't do much, scored once in 20 games but despite that, he still felt PNE was below his standing in the world. We'd signed him on a season-long loan but he asked to return to Man Utd as soon as the January transfer window opened to go back to compete for a first team place! For the remainder of the season all he did was play 20 minutes away at Shrewsbury in the FA Cup.

Was a stupid decision because he'd actually just started to settle in to our team as well.

He's always had a lot of ability but his career has been hampered by injuries and also the fact that he thinks himself far, far better than he actually is.

Cheers.

If he can stay fit and get a run of games then who knows, maybe he could be a late developer.

I guess not many will be taking a chance on him though.

42 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

He was at 16-1 earlier today on SkyBet I believe and 20-1 yesterday. Checked a few mins ago and he was 12-1. Now he's down to 9-1. His odds look to be shortening quickly again.

By a process of elimination, from the outside looking in, Neil was good value at 16/1.

The club will, rightly or wrongly, be slaughtered if they appoint Holden and Cook apparently fancies a break. If they can’t compromise with Hughton then there’s real value in the market with the top three, one of which is odds on, all with their question marks.

Of the names {credibly} linked Neil has always been my preference after Hughton.