IGNORED

Congratulations Luke Ayling

Redland

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Pereira is one.

Point noted Major, but I don't count players under loan as our players. A very good prospect, and potentially a top-top player. You certainly could see the upgrade in control over Hunt when he came on yesterday. I wish I could see us signing him but the rumoured agrred fee looked too big pre Covid 19, so unless MA can renegotiate this (maybe to <£2M) and agree a sustainable player contract, I don't think it would be likely. Maybe the new manager would see his signing as a deal maker. Probbaly would need to move Jack Hunt which might be difficult.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There are parallels with the brilliant Farkes at Norwich who refuses to adjust their way of playing at a higher level and the consequence is they will be playing pretty, open football back in the Championship next season. 

Farked it right up.

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You are too needy, mate. Too fragile. Too melty. Too flaky. Too concerned with what others are thinking about us. Too in need of smoke being blown up one of your passageways - so to speak/as a football fan - which, in a time of a respiratory pandemic crisis mask wearing stay at home lockdown behind closed doors situation I don't think is advisable.

Stay off twitter and try reading a book....

Fair play. Made me laugh 

2 hours ago, warbie_118 said:

No thanks. Guys a ****. Grateful for the double winning season but other than that I couldn’t care less. 

You are too needy, flaky and fragile mate for disliking a former player who dislikes us. ?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep I remember many fans preferred Matthews who was very good for us on loan. Glad we only got him again on loan and not permanently!

Yeah for me Korey was outstanding in our first championship season.

Whilst playing 2/3rds of the season with an ankle injury.

Kodjia amazing and should have been up top on his own. Get the ball to him and he would create his own chances. One hell of a player before the bad injury at Villa.

I thought Bennett was a very good loan for us.

Yes, he was....but Blackburn offered him more money in the Jan Window, so he left.  Was the only player Kodjia passed to, who he thought he might get it back from! ?

But other than those players they were mainly all very poor. Pack was awful. Bryan was nowhere near as good as he should have been. Williams lost all confidence. Ayling under Cotts was such a liability in the back 3.

Still think he gets over-criticised for his runs forward, and that detracts from how good a defender he was (in normal defensive scenarios).  He was top notch aerially on the back post, positionally his covering of Flint (who really struggled initially in the Champ) was great.

I actually thought Johnson really got Pack playing far better than Cotts ever did. Not just 17/18 season but as soon as he came in at end of 16/17 season Pack improved hugely. 

Of course we also had a top right back in Fredericks who looked terrible in the little we saw of him before he went to Fulham.

Do you remember the Leeds (h) game, where we rescued a point with 2 goals late on.  Fredericks made 4/5 runs beyond the Leeds Left Back (Cooper??) and every time Pack left it short, and Cooper galloped up field.  4 times Fredericks made lung busting recovery runs 3/4s of the pitch.  On the 5th one it was like “oh FFS Pack”.  It wouldn’t surprise me if that was the reason it all allegedly kicked off. 

Most were playing very badly and whoever we brought in might have played badly too. Baker was not at his best either. Flint was always exposed. Little was terrible.

I don’t think Litts was ever the same after his shoulder op.  That bulldozering style was his main armoury.
Probably never quite that great at championship level but went on to look better than what we saw under Cotts. 

Cotts had to go.

Good luck to him, he was part of a very successful squad for us.

I know he left under a bit of a cloud and was always up for the game against us so you have to question our management of the situation.

Ayling is a leeds fan at heart so it was a no brainer.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There are parallels with the brilliant Farkes at Norwich who refuses to adjust their way of playing at a higher level and the consequence is they will be playing pretty, open football back in the Championship next season. 

Yep good point - but then you also get people like Hughton who do change how a team plays to adapt to a new division, and as a result people mostly then remember him for that boring / attrition football! Can't win either way really.

On 19/07/2020 at 11:25, irishreds said:

Cott's should also take the credit for giving Reid the opportunity and persevering with Reid. I remember before a home game our group having quite a heated argument about Reid "Cotts has got it wrong, Reid is too lightweight for the Championship and will never make it, he shouldn't be starting today". I thought Reid was a quality player and just needed the match time. Ok, Johnson should take credit for moving him further up field, but Reid was City Academy player not a LJ/MA signing. I don't see Reid as the LJ contribution, he would have made it in the Championship regardless.  

That's unfair. Some people are determined to rewrite history to frame things negatively against Johnson. Essentially it was him as a manager who used Reid in that false 9ish role. It wasn't anyone else. 

It doesn't matter if he wasn't an LJ signing, it was LJ who converted him into the position he's progressed his career being played in. 

RE: Ayling - it seems the decision to get rid of him was more from the board, rather than LJ and was because of Cheltenham. I thought it was a mistake to let him go personally.

RE: Freeman - I felt he'd gone a bit stale here and personally was quite surprised he ended up in the Prem. Well done to him though. 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's unfair. Some people are determined to rewrite history to frame things negatively against Johnson. Essentially it was him as a manager who used Reid in that false 9ish role. It wasn't anyone else. 

It doesn't matter if he wasn't an LJ signing, it was LJ who converted him into the position he's progressed his career being played in. 

RE: Ayling - it seems the decision to get rid of him was more from the board, rather than LJ and was because of Cheltenham. I thought it was a mistake to let him go personally.

RE: Freeman - I felt he'd gone a bit stale here and personally was quite surprised he ended up in the Prem. Well done to him though. 

Freeman likely to be moving on this summer, with Sheffield Utd looking like they’ve tied up John Swift for £3.5m!!

Is that fee a combination of Covid and / or Reading’s financial state? 

On 19/07/2020 at 10:15, Fordy62 said:

When people bang on about LJ bringing on talent, Ayling and Freeman were the flip side. Sold wholly under value. 

I recall saying that the time that they’d both go on to better things. Shame really as Ayling’s is a position we’ve really struggled with. 

No chance. Freeman was very predictable with us, once we got into the championship.

Patterson came in and was a level above him.

His contract was ending and we got rid. Always the right choice

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No chance. Freeman was very predictable with us, once we got into the championship.

Patterson came in and was a level above him.

His contract was ending and we got rid. Always the right choice

He was one of the very first players to get the public shaming treatment LJ so loved to  dish out. In fact he was the first of a long line of quality number 10’s that LJ couldn’t get the best out of. So I’d suggest the issue is firmly at LJ’s door... however much you don’t want to hear it. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What have I rewritten, all facts.

Don't worry Johnson will rewrite history.

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He was one of the very first players to get the public shaming treatment LJ so loved to  dish out. In fact he was the first of a long line of quality number 10’s that LJ couldn’t get the best out of. So I’d suggest the issue is firmly at LJ’s door... however much you don’t want to hear it. 

Total nonsense. He could'nt beat a player and every time he tried he lost the ball.

Pato came in and goes past players regularly

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Freeman likely to be moving on this summer, with Sheffield Utd looking like they’ve tied up John Swift for £3.5m!!

Is that fee a combination of Covid and / or Reading’s financial state? 

I actually think Freeman would suit us quite well now. He's matured as a player and has the X-factor we need in midfield.. but with more consistency than Paterson/Palmer. I don't think he'll be coming back as that ship has sailed but we do need someone like him - decent from dead balls too.

Reading are a funny club who seem in flux, I've always liked John Swift and that's a very decent fee for him.

13 minutes ago, irishreds said:

What have I rewritten, all facts.

Don't worry Johnson will rewrite history.

Your opinion actually, and in my opinion yours is quite an unfair one! ?

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Indeed. Because he isnt consistent. But he is a level above Freeman.

Interesting viewpoint.  The Freeman that left here, did well at QPR and earned a moved to Premier League Sheffield United.  I know he hasn’t featured tonnes, but United’s recruitment is pretty advanced too.

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Indeed. Because he isnt consistent. But he is a level above Freeman.

Are you trying to undermine every argument you ever make? This is a remarkable statement. In fact it’s so laughable I’m not sure I believe that you believe it. 

Can you imagine if a fact checking site checked your claim that Pato is a level above Freeman!!!! ????

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Brilliant. You’ve picked a chap LJ shipped off to Derby who averages one good game in ten. You win! ???

You’re a bit obsessed mate aren’t you? Every topic is turned into something about LJ.

Bet you didn’t moan when pato went out on loan?

3 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

You’re a bit obsessed mate aren’t you? Every topic is turned into something about LJ.

Bet you didn’t moan when pato went out on loan?

Nope. He’s exactly the sort of player we need out the door if we want to be pushing for top six. 

And for the record, I think you’re a reincarnation of Matty Taylor is God. 

On 19/07/2020 at 10:51, Redland said:

I thought £700,000 was rumoured at the time. Whether it was £200 or £700,000 Leeds could clearly see quality and got themselves a bargain.

There is a journalist who reports on Leeds who has been claiming that it was £200k recently.

I’m as sure as I can be that we said it was £750k at the time & that seems to be far more likely, Leeds were rivals, Ayling was still a regular in the squad & even if we did decide to get rid, this amount seems highly improbable.

Also, Leeds fans & some of their journalists are a strange lot, LJ really got under their skin with his comments (bizarre when you consider they invariably beat us) & I wouldn’t rule out this story circulating now they have gone up as part of that “feud”.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Nope. He’s exactly the sort of player we need out the door if we want to be pushing for top six. 

And for the record, I think you’re a reincarnation of Matty Taylor is God. 

I like that guy, he speaks facts. He is the most sane person on here.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Interesting opinion, if you include all CM's, wingers and 10's from the championship who've played 900 minutes or more Pato has the 8th best non-penalty goals per 90 ratio and 23rd assists per 90 ratio. And if you want to take his City only games his non-penalty goals per 90 is 3rd in the league for those positions.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Interesting opinion, if you include all CM's, wingers and 10's from the championship who've played 900 minutes or more Pato has the 8th best non-penalty goals per 90 ratio and 23rd assists per 90 ratio. And if you want to take his City only games his non-penalty goals per 90 is 3rd in the league for those positions.

I don’t doubt it. My issue is that he’ll now go missing for the next 6 months. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t doubt it. My issue is that he’ll now go missing for the next 6 months. 

He's played the equivalent of 21.6 games of 90 minutes to achieve that ranking though so this season he's not performed like a 1 in 10 game player though which has been the criticism of him.

I am pleased for him. I have never had a problem with Ayling and always felt as though he was a very competent champ RB.

I know he didn’t actually play RB for us all that much....however since he departed we haven’t managed to sign a RB even half as good as him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but RB has been a problem position for us ever since.

Will he cut it in the prem? Who knows. I wish him all the best though.

Archived