IGNORED

John Terry

old_eastender

Interesting to read the speculation that we are now looking at John Terry.

Given there is also speculation that Dean Smith will be sacked if, as seems likely, Villa are relegated... I'd rather have him and let John Terry have the Villa job!

Still prefer Hughton over any other candidate, but given he could have already been bought in, I'm guessing he is not going to get the job.

Just because he was a successful player does not mean he would be a good head coach.  Lack of experience and track record should surely count against him although he might interview well because of all his exposure to media.  It would be a huge gamble at this stage of our development.

Interesting how Tammy always spoke highly about the support he had from John Terry? I’m not disputing what JT was convicted/fined for but surely if he was considered so racist he wouldn’t be held in high regard by young players like Tammy, or even have such a high profile role at Villa?

Baffled he’d even be considered as has no previous experience in achieving promotion from the Championship which surely has to be the logical criteria for the next coach/manager.
Would show SL hasn’t learned a thing with further waste of time and money.

Could just be paper speculation of course but is worrying if there’s any grain of truth in it.

10 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Baffled he’d even be considered as has no previous experience in achieving promotion from the Championship which surely has to be the logical criteria for the next coach/manager.
Would show SL hasn’t learned a thing with further waste of time and money.

Could just be paper speculation of course but is worrying if there’s any grain of truth in it.

Phil Brown, Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce all have experience of promotion from the Championship. Hope it's not any of them. I hope it's not John Terry either BTW.  

18 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Interesting how Tammy always spoke highly about the support he had from John Terry? I’m not disputing what JT was convicted/fined for but surely if he was considered so racist he wouldn’t be held in high regard by young players like Tammy, or even have such a high profile role at Villa?

Just to be clear thatTerry was acquitted by the courts but the FA whose policy is to let the court decision determine guilt did not follow their own policy and found him guilty. 

In respect of the affair the papers did issue an apology that the story was false.

1 minute ago, sludge said:

Phil Brown, Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce all have experience of promotion from the Championship. Hope it's not any of them. I hope it's not John Terry either BTW.  

Would agree with that (though they’d still be better qualified than JT).

Just don’t think another inexperienced managerial ”punt” is the wisest way to go even if they are higher profile. CH or MM much safer propositions IMO.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Just to be clear thatTerry was acquitted by the courts but the FA whose policy is to let the court decision determine guilt did not follow their own policy and found him guilty. 

In respect of the affair the papers did issue an apology that the story was false.

? don’t give a **** what the courts say. There was video evidence of John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a black ***. I do not want John ******* Terry anywhere Near our club 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I am no John Terry fan , but as you say a court of law found him not guilty which whether people like it or not means what it says , the leagues involvement was there own internal decision 

It concerns me a bit that we are being linked with this type of appointment.

Does Steve Lansdown really want , what I see as , a vanity signing ?

We are in a super position to make it to the Prem soon , surely an unproven coach with a big name is glitz over gold ? 

We, and I do believe it , have been inundated with quality applications for the post,  now is the time to get the best man in to take us to the next level .
I don’t want us to be hanging all our hopes on someone who is learning the trade and likely to make many mistakes at our expense , additionally when , and if , he gets it right will bugger off to a more prestigious post in the bat of an eye. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

That’s what I read on Wikipedia, I was a bit confused by the whole thing (what actually happened, and what was written on Wikipedia)

3 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Would agree with that (though they’d still be better qualified than JT).

Just don’t think another inexperienced managerial ”punt” is the wisest way to go even if they are higher profile. CH or MM much safer propositions IMO.

Agreed. Trouble is we don't know if the likes of CH or MM are agreeable to the 'package' we're offering.

Bottom line - "is John Terry qualified for the job and does he fit the profile"

I would say no and no.

I'd be very surprised if he was on the short list and its all paper talk as far as I'm concerned.

Same questions of Steven Gerrard and its yes and yes. I'd be very surprised if he isn't on the short list - if he wants the job is another matter. I've been thinking he would be the clubs number one choice but I'm not convinced he'd be interested at this time and if you have to persuade someone to take the job, its the wrong person.

Hughton nailed on for me.

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

? don’t give a **** what the courts say. There was video evidence of John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a black ***. I do not want John ******* Terry anywhere Near our club 

Equitted or not would Lansdown want anything to do with Terry after recent events in Bristol and run the risk of having protest around Ashton Gate 

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Bottom line - "is John Terry qualified for the job and does he fit the profile"

I would say no and no.

I'd be very surprised if he was on the short list and its all paper talk as far as I'm concerned.

Same questions of Steven Gerrard and its yes and yes. I'd be very surprised if he isn't on the short list - if he wants the job is another matter. I've been thinking he would be the clubs number one choice but I'm not convinced he'd be interested at this time and if you have to persuade someone to take the job, its the wrong person.

Hughton nailed on for me.

Agree with everything you say except the last line. 

None of us can be completely sure about Houghton, as we don't know the bloke. Is he nearly ready to retire from football? Would he see BCFC as one last easy pay day? 

Just now, sludge said:

None of us can be completely sure about Houghton, as we don't know the bloke. Is he nearly ready to retire from football? Would he see BCFC as one last easy pay day? 

Nothing personal at all honestly but. One last easy pay day !! 
?? these blokes are driven men. He played his career in the top flight winning trophys with spurs and playing in a World Cup . He’s established himself as a very good manager in his own right . People like Chris Hughton don’t go after easy pay days ffs . 

2 minutes ago, sludge said:

On that basis you can't be sure about anyone.

I don't know the bloke, but I am confident that he is a credible and professional person based on what I have seen and heard from him. His CV aint half bad either.

Archived