IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

30 minutes ago, bris red said:

Spot on. If we do appoint them Lansdown and the board need to stop bullshitting the fanbase - they don’t WANT promotion they are quite happy to plod at this level. SL’s main play thing is the rugby club in my honest opinion.

Totally 100%.

The appointment, whoever it is, will tell us all we need to know.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But surely a team with short players usually don't smash it long? 

It really did look like they passed it a lot to me under Cowley.

I was joking.  Yes, Lincoln did pass it this season under The Cowleys.  Joe played alongside predominantly Bostwick in those games.  It’s ok playing nice stuff, but you need a big old unit to win the ball back for you.  Payne tended to play as the freer midfielder.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah amazing at Lincoln. Outstanding. Quarter finals of FA cup with conference side whilst also comfortably winning the title.

Got to the national league playoffs with part-time Braintree before taking Lincoln job.

All good managers have to start somewhere.

Their record is pretty exceptional if you look into it.

Only negative for me is less than a season at this level but achieved their objectives (survival)

4 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

If we employ the Cowley brothers, I'm ******* done. 

I'm ******* done. 

You don't get a Ferrari by putting in a Skoda engine. You want a Premier League team, by putting in league one managers. 

I would be absolutely fuming. 

I've overtaken a Ferrari in a Skoda :laugh:

Just now, Rocky said:

Danny Cowley was a PE teacher a few years ago. Absolutely don’t want him and his brother (was he a postman or something?).

Lansdown is so haunted by Coppell, who was the first and last ‘big name’. 

Bet you wouldn’t have wanted Bobby Robsons interpreter either. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Congratulations on being the 100th person to make this joke, your prize is a seat behind the dugout, so you can shout it out at regular intervals throughout the games.

I don't think you could get a tune out of Barry anymore.. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Bet you wouldn’t have wanted Bobby Robsons interpreter either. 

Jose became Robson and then Van Gaals assistant after a while. 

If other clubs want to hire former interpreters, PE teachers, that’s fine, it’s just not what I would want at my club. 

16 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

If we employ the Cowley brothers, I'm ******* done. 

I'm ******* done. 

You don't get a Ferrari by putting in Skoda engine. You want a Premier League team, by putting in league one managers. 

I would be absolutely fuming. 

Why, out of interest, is a manager with a track record - specifically at this level - a requirement? Zero guarantee it would work out.

The only ones meeting that criteria currently free are Hughton (who has only ever worked at this level with Parachute payments and some of the best squads in the division), and McCarthy, who hasn't managed a team to the top six in six years. No guarentees they would replicate it.

The Cowley's, outside of managing City, have a better track record than LJ in that they actually have a promotion on their CV, and you can see how far Lincoln have fallen since they left, being top six and falling away to 17th in League 1. Even then this is all hearsay, as there's no concrete evidence as of yet they're even on their way here.

Plus for comparison this is the top six at this level for the last two seasons;

image.png.2b5e7319173ab4c70b5761311e6b3292.png

image.png.f9c15306af90e4d6ff85fa195906308f.png

How many of those managers had previously had a promotion from the Championship to the Prem on their CV? None, and only one of them previously managed in the PL, Bilić.

Others included, in order, Bielsa, Frank, Parker, Lamouchi, Harris, Farke, Wilder, Moore (and Shan), Smith, and Lampard.

I don't see the reassoning for this obsession. The last manager that had a record similar to the Cowley's IMO is Cook, difference being the Cowley's achieved it within a shorter period of time, mostly due to being at a single club for the duration (Lincoln).

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Why, out of interest, is a manager with a track record - specifically at this level - a requirement? Zero guarantee it would work out.

The only ones meeting that criteria currently free are Hughton (who has only ever worked at this level with Parachute payments and some of the best squads in the division), and McCarthy, who hasn't managed a team to the top six in six years. No guarentees they would replicate it.

They Cowley's, outside of managing City, have a better track record than LJ in that they actually have a promotion on their CV, and you can see how far Lincoln have fallen since they left, being top six and falling away to 17th in League 1. Even then this is all hearsay, as there's no concrete evidence as of yet they're even on their way here.

Plus for comparison this is the top six at this level for the last two seasons;

image.png.2b5e7319173ab4c70b5761311e6b3292.png

image.png.f9c15306af90e4d6ff85fa195906308f.png

How many of those managers had previously had a promotiong from CH to the Prem on their CV? None, and only one of them previously managed in the PL, Bilić.

Others included, in order, Bielsa, Frank, Parker, Lamouchi, Harris, Farke, Wilder, Moore (and Shan), Smith, and Lampard.

I don't see the reassoning for this obsession. The last manager that had a record similar to the Cowley's IMO is Cook, difference being the Cowley's achieved it within a shorter period of time, mostly due to being at a single club for the duration (Lincoln).

Thanks Danny.

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Congratulations on being the 100th person to make this joke, your prize is a seat behind the dugout, so you can shout it out at regular intervals throughout the games.

Thought I would be,I wasn't that interested in looking back through the comments,City appointing the Cowley brothers would be a kick in the teeth so to me this is a pointless thread. 

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Why, out of interest, is a manager with a track record - specifically at this level - a requirement? Zero guarantee it would work out

Pretty sure none of top 5 had managed a season in this division before Bielsa arrived last season 

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Jose became Robson and then Van Gaals assistant after a while. 

If other clubs want to hire former interpreters, PE teachers, that’s fine, it’s just not what I would want at my club. 

What they used to do is totally irrelevant as they have proved they can perform their new role. There are a lot of famous actors and comedians out there who have done other jobs whilst working their way up.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Spot on. And I really would not be surprised if a manager who had succeeded at this level completely fails with us.

The championship has changed and also what did they have to work with before, what were they up against before. It's completely different situation coming into our club in this current championship, especially with what has happened in recent months. People are saying we won't be spending much. Does these players suit some of these older proven championship managers? Not so sure.

Cowley even at Huddersfield seems to have done well considering he's spent nearly nothing and had to work with players that were doing terribly under the previous manager. No wins. He kept them up. Good job. 

He did not even have a chance to build his own side there.

Cowley hasnt had enough success at Huddersfield for me to convinced  he is the right man for us.

24 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Pretty sure none of top 5 had managed a season in this division before Bielsa arrived last season 

Having decent players helps.

I would be completely underwhelmed if we appointed the Crowley Bro‘s but there are atleast two positives:

- Atleast it isn’t John Terry.

- It would increase the likelihood of a backroom clear out as it clearly wouldn’t be a case of BOGOF.

Although i'm not particularly pleased at the possibility of the Cowley's taking charge I feel that maybe they could be a good fit for us. 

They will be hungry to move on and improve, Lansdown will give them time - which he is the type of manager to gradually improve over time. They aren't opposed to playing tricky players like Grant, Smith-Rowe, Pritchard etc that could see some of our other players on the fringes get opportunities. I see us in a similar situation to his time at Lincoln - loyal fanbase that travels well, spurts of good football with some mixed bag performances, some good quality players but predominantly younger and hard working types. 

But he is not a galvanising name that can get the fanbase onside or not a name to really get the players excited which it seems like we need after LJ bored the love of football out of them. It also goes for attracting players to the club which won't improve unless there is a bigger name. It will more than likely be more lower league or signings from abroad (not against this, but I think our squad needs some real experience now).

We still have lots of excess players that need loans, gametime or shifting before we probably bring anyone in and in this financial climate will be tough to navigate so i'm not expecting major changes.

I will back and support whoever comes in, whether its McCarthy, Cowleys, Hughton or even Holden but this appointment will really show the intentions of our higher ups. If its a Cowley type then its obvious Lansdown is willing to wait another 3-4 years on more progression to see if we can pinch in a top six place.

Its conflicting because mentioning playoffs and improvement year on year and sacking LJ makes his point and I commend Lansdown for that but this appointment is crucial in backing up this statement he made a couple weeks ago or is it just a way of keeping fans interested just so season ticket sales don't plummet after LJ's abject performances? I'm not sure.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lansdown's decision making I'll be truly honest, this next decision will confirm whether my skepticism is warranted.

Annoyed beyond belief.

No so much at the thought of two Championship amateurs, or with this being a sign of cost cutting and ambition sizing, or the fact that this sort of appointment doesn't fill be with confidence that they will help sell more tickets and either impact the transfer budget, or for their ability to attract new signings; but for this...

Check it out now, the Cowley Brothers.....

6 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Although i'm not particularly pleased at the possibility of the Cowley's taking charge I feel that maybe they could be a good fit for us. 

They will be hungry to move on and improve, Lansdown will give them time - which he is the type of manager to gradually improve over time. They aren't opposed to playing tricky players like Grant, Smith-Rowe, Pritchard etc that could see some of our other players on the fringes get opportunities. I see us in a similar situation to his time at Lincoln - loyal fanbase that travels well, spurts of good football with some mixed bag performances, some good quality players but predominantly younger and hard working types. 

But he is not a galvanising name that can get the fanbase onside or not a name to really get the players excited which it seems like we need after LJ bored the love of football out of them. It also goes for attracting players to the club which won't improve unless there is a bigger name. It will more than likely be more lower league or signings from abroad (not against this, but I think our squad needs some real experience now).

We still have lots of excess players that need loans, gametime or shifting before we probably bring anyone in and in this financial climate will be tough to navigate so i'm not expecting major changes.

I will back and support whoever comes in, whether its McCarthy, Cowleys, Hughton or even Holden but this appointment will really show the intentions of our higher ups. If its a Cowley type then its obvious Lansdown is willing to wait another 3-4 years on more progression to see if we can pinch in a top six place.

Its conflicting because mentioning playoffs and improvement year on year and sacking LJ makes his point and I commend Lansdown for that but this appointment is crucial in backing up this statement he made a couple weeks ago or is it just a way of keeping fans interested just so season ticket sales don't plummet after LJ's abject performances? I'm not sure.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lansdown's decision making I'll be truly honest, this next decision will confirm whether my skepticism is warranted.

Your scepticism is already warranted to be fair.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Alan Dicks=unknown 

Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan = unknown quantities as managers

Gary Johnson = Conference Manager

I hope you are right. 

After 125 years that’s the best you can come up with. 1 good appointment in the 70’s and 1 appointment that got us 1 game away from the prem. ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah amazing at Lincoln. Outstanding. Quarter finals of FA cup with conference side whilst also comfortably winning the title.

This is The Championship though, he won 13 out of 40 in it, which is bottom half form.

Michael O’Neill took over Stoke who were bottom, been in a mess for 2 years & he’s won 13 out of 31...

If it's not Cowley then some of the reactions on here are going to look very silly.

Intriguing to see how many people are "finished" or "done" with the club because they don't like the alleged choice of manager.

And before the divs pipe up, he wouldn't be my choice either, but I'm not going to write him off before he's taken charge.

Archived