IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

by all accounts was on Talksport just now that they were sacked because they applied for the job here

That is certainly the rumour up there. Grew up in those parts and still have a number of friends who follow the Terriers. 

43 minutes ago, Lez said:

I got a side promoted from Bristol and suburban div 4.....so technically I have more achievements than LJ too.

Well I managed a title winning team in Suburban Div 2, so I must be a sharper footballing mind that yourself ???

47 minutes ago, Lez said:

I got a side promoted from Bristol and suburban div 4.....so technically I have more achievements than LJ too.

I played in a team that managed 3 promotions in the Suburban League so, if you get the job, can I be first team coach?

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

That is certainly the rumour up there. Grew up in those parts and still have a number of friends who follow the Terriers. 

It is a rumour but there there are lots of others. Following the story as closely as I can it seems far more likely that Hodgkinson, the owner, decided he wanted the Spanish coach Corberan from Leeds United to go for a different style. I think it is a crazy decision that he and Huddersfield's supporters will regret.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Well I managed a title winning team in Suburban Div 2, so I must be a sharper footballing mind that yourself ???

I retired due to my PHD otherwise who knows.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I played in a team that managed 3 promotions in the Suburban League so, if you get the job, can I be first team coach?

What team was it?

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

by all accounts was on Talksport just now that they were sacked because they applied for the job here

If he applied and was appointed wouldn't we have then owed Huddersfield compensation?

If that was the only reason, it seems a bit short-sighted from them to miss out on a payday?

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Melbury Utd a long time ago. I don’t think it exists anymore 

When I was 15 (mid 80s) I started playing senior football for a team who got joined with Melbury at the end of the season. We were all sent a letter saying we had to pay £x to join. I said sod that!

Was that you! ?

37 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Melbury Utd a long time ago. I don’t think it exists anymore 

Played against Melbury several times in the 80’s if memory serves me correctly. You may have been runners up to us at some stage as we won several suburban titles and cups before winning 3 successive titles in the Somerset senior league ( Stockwoid Green )

Just now, Laner said:

If he applied and was appointed wouldn't we have then owed Huddersfield compensation?

If that was the only reason, it seems a bit short-sighted from them to miss out on a payday?

One article in the local Huddersfield paper says Hodgkinson had been sounding out the possibility of bringing in the Leeds coach, Corberan, last month. That would suggest there is little truth in the rumours they's applied for the Bristol City job.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I was 15 (mid 80s) I started playing senior football for a team who got joined with Melbury at the end of the season. We were all sent a letter saying we had to pay £x to join. I said sod that!

Was that you! ?

I am innocent as I played for Melbury in the 70s. It was a very up and down period for the club, with some bad and some good times 

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Played against Melbury several times in the 80’s if memory serves me correctly. You may have been runners up to us at some stage as we won several suburban titles and cups before winning 3 successive titles in the Somerset senior league ( Stockwoid Green )

See above. I’d left Melbury by then and switched to playing Sunday football for my local pub. I didn’t like getting up early on Sundays but the post match lunch time sessions in the pub made up for it 

2 hours ago, ROKERITE said:

One article in the local Huddersfield paper says Hodgkinson had been sounding out the possibility of bringing in the Leeds coach, Corberan, last month. That would suggest there is little truth in the rumours they's applied for the Bristol City job.

What's interesting is that Cowley had barely been mentioned, if at all, on here until the news of his departure broke yesterday, and certainly no indication of him being a serious candidate. Yet reading comments from Huddersfield fans, it seems to be fairly common knowledge/suspicion amongst them that he was interested in our job.

48 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Now 12/1, Ryan Lowe 10/11 fav.

Absolutely bizarre betting field this one! Basically no-one outside of the inner circle has a clue what is going on. I suppose in that sense you could say that the club is doing well to keep cards close to the chest. Either that or they have no idea themselves what is going on & the plan is evolving on a daily basis.

3 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Absolutely bizarre betting field this one! Basically no-one outside of the inner circle has a clue what is going on. I suppose in that sense you could say that the club is doing well to keep cards close to the chest. Either that or they have no idea themselves what is going on & the plan is evolving on a daily basis.

I think we've done some of our best business when something is announced out of nowhere or very late. The club do seem to go about their work quietly these days.

Hoping for the same here.

50 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I put a shilling on Lowe . 
:yes:

Didn't want more people clicking on a The *** link that had to.....

The *** understands owner Phil Hodgkinson wants total control over transfers — but his manager was not willing to work that way.

Cowley, and his brother and assistant Nicky, were fired after Terriers avoided the drop to League One by beating West Brom.

Hodgkinson is talking to Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson and Marcelo Bielsa’s assistant Carlos Corberan.

Insiders claim the Terriers’ owner decided  he was going to dismiss the brothers during the  coronavirus lockdown.

A club source said: “Danny and Nicky had an inkling and could have just walked out.

“But they wanted to see it through because so many jobs were at stake if they went down.”

After Friday’s  2-1 win, Cowley said  the club needed to sign  working-class British players  fans would identify with.

Sources say Cowley felt they should follow the model Sean Dyche has used at Burnley.

But Hodgkinson decided he wanted to bring in  European players.

It is also understood the  owner released several players this summer against Cowley’s wishes.

Archived