IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is The Championship though, he won 13 out of 40 in it, which is bottom half form.

Michael O’Neill took over Stoke who were bottom, been in a mess for 2 years & he’s won 13 out of 31...

Fair comparison but you have to say Huddersfield have a worse group of players. How on earth Stoke have spent so long flirting with relegation is beyond me. There's proven prem players there. Should have been doing what West Brom have been doing last 2 seasons..

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Fair comparison but you have to say Huddersfield have a worse group of players. How on earth Stoke have spent so long flirting with relegation is beyond me. There's proven prem players there. Should have been doing what West Brom have been doing last 2 seasons..

Haven’t though, have they?

Gary Rowett couldn’t turn them around, (& he’s done pretty well elsewhere) Nathan Jones couldn’t turn them around, (yet he’s gone back to Luton & has done incredibly well) but Michael O’Neill actually did.

He’s a very underrated manager, the work he did with Norn Iron was off the scale, Stoke are still in huge difficulty financially, as parachute payments have finished & their wage bill is frightening, but they could be dark horses next season.

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I might just be he's waiting for a Premiership club maybe Watford or Crystal Palace over the coming months

Watford have had 4 different people in charge this season and it’s still not over. Yes there is no security in football management but that position is not very appealing to a manager at the moment  IMO. Yes the City job isn’t massive in size terms but SL will give the new person time and that is appealing to some .

15 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Watford have had 4 different people in charge this season and it’s still not over. Yes there is no security in football management but that position is not very appealing to a manager at the moment  IMO. Yes the City job isn’t massive in size terms but SL will give the new person time and that is appealing to some .

I agree Watford is arguably the most unstable club in the top two divisions regarding managers and I would be surprised if Hughton would want to work for their owners. City is all based on potential and if the new manager gets it right you could become the next Brighton, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves etc. 

Ive know idea what's holding you guys back as its all in place for success, wealthy chairman, great stadium & training facilitie, big fanbase and a nice part of the country to live in. Some posters have said location is the problem as managers won't travel daily from the Home Counties like Hoddle & Di Casio did at Swindon but if the package is good surely that wouldn't matter as they could move to the area or even fly regularly if it was someone like Gerrard. 

Maybe it's a case your chairman is stubborn and won't  give them what they want but to achieve things he will probably have to spend big and reap the rewards later 

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

@Lez has been on here a while.  Don’t think she is in a great place.  Over 60 posts in a day (getting more and more unhinged) and being on here literally every hour of the day until past 1am isn’t exactly healthy.

He and I'm fine.

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Gary Rowett couldn’t turn them around, (& he’s done pretty well elsewhere) Nathan Jones couldn’t turn them around, (yet he’s gone back to Luton & has done incredibly well) but Michael O’Neill actually did.

He’s a very underrated manager, the work he did with Norn Iron was off the scale, Stoke are still in huge difficulty financially, as parachute payments have finished & their wage bill is frightening, but they could be dark horses next season.

Yes, said the same on Forever Bristol podcast.  He’s got Stoke playing much better and results wise they’d have been challenging playoffs had he had the whole season.  As you say his job at national level was excellent.  The pool of players is very small.

How they recruit this summer will be interesting. 

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I agree O Neill is an excellent manager.  Pity he isn't an option 

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Did a massive job on Brentford at the weekend, when nobody up until then had looked close to breaking their run of wins.

I think Stoke will have the same problem as we have. Trying to get rid of players on big money to other cash strapped sides.

If MON is successful at bringing the wage bill down; and getting a set team together, I can see them being playoff contenders next season.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Exactly the same point of view I heard when we appointed Cotterill. 

They have an almost unblemished record with multiple promotions.

They know the division now and did a decent job sorting Huddersfield out who were an absolute car crash when they joined. I'd prefer others but would have these over an awful lot of the others mentioned.

Some fair points there to be honest and if they are appointed I would love to be proved wrong.

Like I prefer a number of others and like you there are others I want a lot less than Cowley.

It doesn’t to me make sense to sack LJ, proclaim the Premier League being the target and appoint someone with no experience of having gained promotion from this division. 

19 minutes ago, One Team said:

Some fair points there to be honest and if they are appointed I would love to be proved wrong.

Like I prefer a number of others and like you there are others I want a lot less than Cowley.

It doesn’t to me make sense to sack LJ, proclaim the Premier League being the target and appoint someone with no experience of having gained promotion from this division. 

Although it doesn’t mean PL isn’t still the target if Cowley is appointed. To be fair to Cowley, he has more achievements on his managerial CV than LJ. It would just mean that based on performance at interview, willingness to work with our budget and structure and desire to improve our youngsters, Lansdown concluded that Cowley was the best option available to reach that target. 

28 minutes ago, One Team said:

But experience of actual promotion which LJ hasn't got in about 7 seasons of football

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Although it doesn’t mean PL isn’t still the target if Cowley is appointed. To be fair to Cowley, he has more achievements on his managerial CV than LJ. It would just mean that based on performance at interview, willingness to work with our budget and structure and desire to improve our youngsters, Lansdown concluded that Cowley was the best option available to reach that target. 

I got a side promoted from Bristol and suburban div 4.....so technically I have more achievements than LJ too.

53 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I agree O Neill is an excellent manager.  Pity he isn't an option 

I don't know why he wouldn't be an option - I think we'd be able to afford him in terms of compensation and at the moment are a better prospect than Stoke.

If we're doing our due diligence, we should be considering people like him.

He fits the same sort of profile as Paul Cook - very competent and potentially a shrewd appointment. However some fans wouldn't like it as they aren't as familiar with him as a Hughton/Gerrard.

3 minutes ago, Lez said:

I got a side promoted from Bristol and suburban div 4.....so technically I have more achievements than LJ too.

The Post reported over the weekend that new applications are still coming in if you fancy a go?

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't know why he wouldn't be an option - I think we'd be able to afford him in terms of compensation and at the moment are a better prospect than Stoke.

He fits the same sort of profile as Paul Cook - very competent and potentially a shrewd appointment. However some fans wouldn't like it as they aren't as familiar with him as a Hughton/Gerrard.

I wouldn't want someone whose willing to walk out on a new job after 8 months because a better option came up

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That must have been a long night on Championship Manager 

Championship manager? Completed it mate

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I simply don’t think he would jump ship.

Stoke are a similar size club to us, more successful in recent times though.

He has had 30 odd games to suss out his squad & to plan for next season & I would be amazed if he wanted to start that all over again when he thinks he is beginning to make real progress.

From his point of view I also cannot think of anything that would make his think our job is any more attractive to him than his current one.

Definitely someone I rate highly, but our vacancy hasn’t come up at the right time for him to be interested, in my opinion.

Archived