IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

No idea if they would work out here or not but let’s not split hairs - other than this season they are not experienced at this level and would represent a punt.

Not sure it’s what we need to improve on where we are just now, but maybe we aren’t in a position to get that next level type manager.

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

Sack a manager who nearly made the play offs and replace with one who nearly got relegated. Only at BCFC. 

In a nutshell. Would be a very very poor appointment. I am sure SL is far too smart to hire them. Absolutely certain of it. ?

I don't know that I understand the level of vitriolic animosity around this one. The would't be my first choice but they've won two promotions and achieved what they had to do this season in tough circumstances. The last time we appointed a manager with that kind of lower league record we ended up with our highest finish since 1980 and in a play-off final. 

I understand why people would prefer Chris Hughton, although there is no guarantee at all he would succeed. But their track record is a sight better than Steven Gerrard's who has won nothing more than a manager of the month, and some posters seemed ridiculously excited about him when he was linked last month.

I'd not be delighted if the Cowleys got it but I'd give them a chance. It wouldn't fill me with excitement in the way some other candidates would but, whilst it is a risk - although so is every other appointment - I don't think it would be anywhere near as much of an unmitigated disaster that some on here seem to think. 

I think it’s hilarious how many people are pulling their hair out over this thought. I bet if you were to look back a year or so, you will find posts and threads where they were being touted to replace Johnson, and people moaning why we don’t give Managers like this a chance.

Talk of walking away from the club is cheap, and would last five minutes with a good start to the season.

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

This is OTIB putting 2 + 2 together and getting 442. 

Theres a rumour he was sacked for talking to another club, and that rumour has led to betting on them, which shortened the odds, which has fuelled the rumour further.

It's what we do on this forum. Seeing as the club are giving out zero info.

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

This is OTIB putting 2 + 2 together and getting 442. 

Theres a rumour he was sacked for talking to another club, and that rumour has led to betting on them, which shortened the odds, which has fuelled the rumour further.

This is true. Boro, Birmingham and seemingly Watford are all available too so there is no certainty at all that, if there was another club, that other club was us...

20 minutes ago, marmite said:

Sack a manager who nearly made the play offs and replace with one who nearly got relegated. Only at BCFC. 

That bit does seem very odd.

The only trump card they appear to hold at present is the “no evidence they are racists” one.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it’s hilarious how many people are pulling their hair out over this thought. I bet if you were to look back a year or so, you will find posts and threads where they were being touted to replace Johnson, and people moaning why we don’t give Managers like this a chance.

Talk of walking away from the club is cheap, and would last five minutes with a good start to the season.

You’re right. I mentioned on here I would of wanted him here when he was at Lincoln to replace LJ over a year ago. Things change though when Chris Hughton says he wants the job. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

That bit does seem very odd.

The only trump card they appear to hold at present is the “no evidence they are racists” one.

It’s not odd because we all watched the football LJ gave us and it was only a matter of time before it went awry. 

You never know but I'd be surprised if the Cowley brothers were appointed because Mark Ashton has gone on the record as wanting a head coach style of appointment rather than someone with managerial powers.  In other words he wants to keep control over transfer purchases and sales. 

In this interview Danny Cowley said:- "the opportunity to be a managers rather than head coach is important to us as it's how we have always worked"

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You’re right. I mentioned on here I would of wanted him here when he was at Lincoln to replace LJ over a year ago. Things change though when Chris Hughton says he wants the job. 

We may well have missed the boat with CH now. Needed to be bold and tell him we wanted him as our No 1 choice, not fanny around and dither. Better options may now appear for him and we lose our window to get him in. 

I think the chance to have got Hughton has now gone,due to the increasing competition from other clubs releasing managers. As they say, Time and Tide wait for no man, He who hesitates is lost, Strike when the irons hot. We've sat on our ass and wasted the opportunity in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, fatchers said:

I think the chance to have got Hughton has now gone,due to the increasing competition from other clubs releasing managers. As they say, Time and Tide wait for no man, He who hesitates is lost, Strike when the irons hot. We've sat on our ass and wasted the opportunity in my opinion.

Of course it's all hypothetical.  The club may have already appointed someone subject to contract details. They wont announce until it's all done and dusted.  But while we wait, we can discus names from Hughton to Holden, it's a forum after all. Then again, they may be dithering. It's just the City way.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

True, Cowley's record is miles better than Gerrard's.

He did a pretty unbelievable job at Lincoln. Got to the quarter finals of the FA cup when they were in the Conference. That's pretty remarkable stuff. 

Won the Conference with Lincoln in that season too. 

Got to the final of the EFL trophy whilst in league two which is some achievement.

Got them promoted the following season to league one.

Looked like he had Lincoln playing some great stuff in league one before moving to Huddersfield.

Huddersfield were in a mess and he did well enough to keep them up. Had a great month in October winning the manager of the month, a 6 game unbeaten run. Results looked okay really. Not sure he had the best squad to work with and seems like Huddersfield fans are mainly not happy he has gone.

That is some record he has so far. I'd take him.

Probably would agree with you if this appointment was 4 years ago. 

Not now. 

14 minutes ago, fatchers said:

Maybe, maybe not. We may have spoken to Hughton or not. He may still be in the running or has been ruled out due to excessive demands. Alternatively his agent may have told him to wait until the Championship and Premier league seasons finish as there may be other, and better opportunities than Bristol City. The fact is we don't know, and if he doesn't end up here it may be nothing to do with a lost opportunity of our making. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Maybe, maybe not. We may have spoken to Hughton or not. He may still be in the running or has been ruled out due to excessive demands. Alternatively his agent may have told him to wait until the Championship and Premier league seasons finish as there may be other, and better opportunities than Bristol City. The fact is we don't know, and if he doesn't end up here it may be nothing to do with a list opportunity of our making. 

He may also have said yes and be away on hols. Who knows ????

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

True, Cowley's record is miles better than Gerrard's.

He did a pretty unbelievable job at Lincoln. Got to the quarter finals of the FA cup when they were in the Conference. That's pretty remarkable stuff. 

Won the Conference with Lincoln in that season too. 

Got to the final of the EFL trophy whilst in league two which is some achievement.

Got them promoted the following season to league one.

Looked like he had Lincoln playing some great stuff in league one before moving to Huddersfield.

Huddersfield were in a mess and he did well enough to keep them up. Had a great month in October winning the manager of the month, a 6 game unbeaten run. Results looked okay really. Not sure he had the best squad to work with and seems like Huddersfield fans are mainly not happy he has gone.

That is some record he has so far. I'd take him.

...so are you saying that given a choice of Chris Hughton, Mick McCarthy, Alex Neil, Paul Cook or the Cowleys you take the Cowleys?

Or are you saying 'whoever Steve L appoints I'll be happy'?

I ask because I genuinely think that a major divide on this forum is between people who weigh the candidates in a situation like this and have their own criteria for a 'good' or 'bad' appointment (I'd like to see someone with experience of promotion to the Prem)...

....and there are others who will go along with whatever is decided. And then defend that appointment until the day they are sacked! 

53 minutes ago, irishreds said:

If they're appointed I think it's more to do with Mark Ashton keeping control, and the not the best interests of Bristol City.

Pat Lam would not have joined Bristol Rugby if this structure was in place for the rugby club.

Bristol Rugby are a massive team in Rugby who under performed for years, you can compare them to leeds

Bristol City aren't a massive team and will always struggle to attract a coach of lams equivalent unless we have a prolonged run in the top flight,

You just can't compare the two

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Maybe, maybe not. We may have spoken to Hughton or not. He may still be in the running or has been ruled out due to excessive demands. Alternatively his agent may have told him to wait until the Championship and Premier league seasons finish as there may be other, and better opportunities than Bristol City. The fact is we don't know, and if he doesn't end up here it may be nothing to do with a lost opportunity of our making. 

One thing is for sure. 
We may have been turned down by Hughton, Gerrard, McCarthy, Jokanovic etc, but the club statement from Ashton on appointment will say “Michael (Flynn) was always our first choice”.  

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Stop talking sense man! 

Just now, Harry said:

One thing is for sure. 
We may have been turned down by Hughton, Gerrard, McCarthy, Jokanovic etc, but the club statement from Ashton on appointment will say “Michael (Flynn) was always our first choice”.  

Absolutely: 'there was always one stand out candidate for us and I'm delighted we've got our man. After an exhaustive search led by myself I'm delighted to introduce to you (fill in name here)...'

Just now, JonDolman said:

I don't know enough about the Cowley's. But it appears to me they are the type I would want. 

Successful everywhere they have been. I think they have played youth, but not completely sure on that. I think they played great football at Lincoln going by the bits I saw, but not sure on that either.

So if they do those things that are intending to play good football and trusting in youth, as well as the amazing record they have. It does look more of the right type for us.

Plus the wages will be cheaper and no compensation pay out. Not that the wages is a big factor!

I am not sure some of those other names would be able to work with what the club wants.

Experience of promotion to the prem might be quite useless the way the game has changed in recent years.

Okay WBA and Fulham were bound to be up there. But the overachievers in this league which are Leeds and Brentford play a game that some of those managers would never play. Championship football is different to what it once was.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Despite having heard a lot about them from Lincoln fans I'd be deflated if they were the appointment. 

But I would, as with LJ, give them a chance.

Archived