IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

One thing is for sure. 
We may have been turned down by Hughton, Gerrard, McCarthy, Jokanovic etc, but the club statement from Ashton on appointment will say “Michael (Flynn) was always our first choice”.  

Who says the others have turned us down ?

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Who says the others have turned us down ?

No-one except those who want to criticise the club for `lack of ambition` `dithering` `missing our chance` `typical City, wasting time`. They`ll never be happy unless their personal choice is appointed.

It`s no different to when another club signs a player - `another one we`ve missed out on FFS` - without having the slightest idea of whether that player or City were remotely interested.

51 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't know that I understand the level of vitriolic animosity around this one. The would't be my first choice but they've won two promotions and achieved what they had to do this season in tough circumstances. The last time we appointed a manager with that kind of lower league record we ended up with our highest finish since 1980 and in a play-off final. 

I understand why people would prefer Chris Hughton, although there is no guarantee at all he would succeed. But their track record is a sight better than Steven Gerrard's who has won nothing more than a manager of the month, and some posters seemed ridiculously excited about him when he was linked last month.

I'd not be delighted if the Cowleys got it but I'd give them a chance. It wouldn't fill me with excitement in the way some other candidates would but, whilst it is a risk - although so is every other appointment - I don't think it would be anywhere near as much of an unmitigated disaster that some on here seem to think. 

Agree. I must admit that when the Cowleys were at Lincoln I had a feeling they might end up here one day. I must admit I was surprised when they took the job at Huddersfield as they seemed to be on downward spiral; I thought they would have gone for a more stable opportunity. Anyway we’ll see and if they are appointed they’ll get the same level of support from me as any other manager. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Hey, you didn’t come across as grumpy.  I’m not suggesting for one second that they should be in the frame either.  Today is a weird day on the football manager front!!!

I’m only saying about their style at Lincoln because it changed from the Conference days.  As you know I work with Joe Morrell’s dad so I watched a lot of them this season (and their early season form and style was great).

Here’s a good compilation of Joe.  Thanks to jbcfc on twitter.

Good to see the different ways he can play too.  Not just a tenacious DM.

Some great clips. I hope we don’t loan Joe out next season. Need him in our squad. 

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

No-one except those who want to criticise the club for `lack of ambition` `dithering` `missing our chance` `typical City, wasting time`. They`ll never be happy unless their personal choice is appointed.

It`s no different to when another club signs a player - `another one we`ve missed out on FFS` - without having the slightest idea of whether that player or City were remotely interested.

I was very happy when Cotts was appointed - he wouldn't have been my personal choice because I don't think I had one then, and I don't really now. He just seemed an ambitious and accomplished appointment.

By contrast I certainly felt the club lacked ambition when it appointed Tins and Keith Millen...and I was right.

I appreciate, of course, that you exaggerate for effect but I doubt many posters on OTIB want to criticise the club, by contrast we'd all like to be pleasantly surprised!

12 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Despite having heard a lot about them from Lincoln fans I'd be deflated if they were the appointment. 

But I would, as with LJ, give them a chance.

I wouldn’t be deflated, but I’d be left wondering about what the other candidates were that weren’t good enough.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know enough about the Cowley's. But it appears to me they are the type I would want. 

Successful everywhere they have been. I think they have played youth, but not completely sure on that. I think they played great football at Lincoln going by the bits I saw, but not sure on that either.

So if they do those things that are intending to play good football and trusting in youth, as well as the amazing record they have. It does look more of the right type for us.

This “amazing record” that Danny Cowley has, he’s been in charge of a Championship side with parachute payments for just 40 games in his career & has only won 13 of them.

I felt that LJ had run out of road but didn’t honestly think we would appoint someone who finished below us in the league.

You can make a case that the 3 clubs that came up last season (all currently in a 4 way relegation battle with Hull) had far less resources, but a side with parachute payments? Not really.

45 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town-sell-top-scorer-day-they-sack-danny-cowley-2917979

Looks like they are selling Karlan Grant for £15 million as well to a Championship club...

Can't see that, who the **** has £15m to splash on a striker this summer especially? Fulham and Cardiff (1st season Parachute payments) both in the play offs so they wouldn't be making bids atm, doesn't fit Norwich's style to make a huge bid and can't see another team out of the play offs willing to pay it. 

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This “amazing record” that Danny Cowley has, he’s been in charge of a Championship side with parachute payments for just 40 games in his career & has only won 13 of them.

I felt that LJ had run out of road but didn’t honestly think we would appoint someone who finished below us in the league.

You can make a case that the 3 clubs that came up last season (all currently in a 4 way relegation battle with Hull) had far less resources, but a side with parachute payments? Not really.

All those saying Cowley did a great job at huddersfield are deluded....with the resources he had he managed to scrape it to keep them up.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Can't see that, who the **** has £15m to splash on a striker this summer especially? Fulham and Cardiff (1st season Parachute payments) both in the play offs so they wouldn't be making bids atm, doesn't fit Norwich's style to make a huge bid and can't see another team out of the play offs willing to pay it. 

Maybe Leeds? 

Just now, warbie_118 said:

Bad is an understatement. 

An absolute typical Bristol City thing to do. Have the choices of Hughton, even McCarthy and we appoint a man who has done nothing of note at this level (if it happens). Just another Lee Johnson

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Can't see that, who the **** has £15m to splash on a striker this summer especially? Fulham and Cardiff (1st season Parachute payments) both in the play offs so they wouldn't be making bids atm, doesn't fit Norwich's style

Unless they`re selling Pukki for silly money.

Just now, Harry said:

Maybe Leeds? 

Is Grant a Bielsa type forward? Yes they'll need to upgrade on Bamford but thought they'd have been aiming higher, they still potentially have to fork out on Augustin as Fifa lawyers have been called in on that one potentially having a purchase clause Leeds will have to pay at £17m ish

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

to make a huge bid and can't see another team out of the play offs willing to pay it. 

Unless they`re selling Pukki for silly money.

Even so just spending £15m at this level doesn't fit their club style from memory, summer 18/19 they barely spent anything

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Keep DH and JM . And it will be as you were. Underwhelming is an understatement 

This is the concern for me.  It wouldn’t feel much of a departure at all from what we already had even if DH and JM do go (which i imagine they will if LJ gets a job relatively quickly). I’d be massively disappointed given the quality that’s available. All conjecture at this point though.  

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Looks like he was allowed to spend 180k on Spearman and the rest were loans.

A team doing terrible at the bottom of the championship and no real backing from the board in January. 

He did a very good job, as that's why Huddersfield fans are furious. It's not often a team that just about survives want their manager to stay like Huddersfield fans do.

A very good job?! He became manager in September and its taken them until the last game of the season to secure survival. With that much talent including loans from top prem sides he has done the bare minimum.

And huddersfield fans arent bothered about cowley they are bothered about being seen as a basket case.

We want prem football and we could be looking to hire someone who played for ROMFORD and JUST kept huddersfield up DESPITE the resources he had. No thanks.

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don't think anyone is saying 'amazing' record but seemingly when your objective is just to keep the team in the league and you do that to then be sacked before the end of the season when you've been given £120,000 to spend in January plus a few loans just seems strange and poor to not give him a pre-season and chance to get a season off to a good start. Their squad at this level isn't anything special so shouldn't have been expecting to rip up trees etc.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Looks like he was allowed to spend 180k on Spearman and the rest were loans.

A team doing terrible at the bottom of the championship and no real backing from the board in January. 

He did a very good job, as that's why Huddersfield fans are furious. It's not often a team that just about survives want their manager to stay like Huddersfield fans do.

Whilst I don't disagree with your logic, a manager that kept a team up in the Championship difficult circumstances isn't the CV I was hoping for.

Winning 2 promotions with then non-league Lincoln is still not quite what I was hoping for.

I genuinely thought that our club in it's current guise could attract a manager that has had success at the top end of our division, or an equivalent achievement in another European league. 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

We may well have missed the boat with CH now. Needed to be bold and tell him we wanted him as our No 1 choice, not fanny around and dither. Better options may now appear for him and we lose our window to get him in. 

Perhaps we did exactly that. Perhaps we didn't. We don't know. 

Just now, mozo said:

Whilst I don't disagree with your logic, a manager that kept a team up in the Championship difficult circumstances isn't the CV I was hoping for.

Winning 2 promotions with then non-league Lincoln is still not quite what I was hoping for.

I genuinely thought that our club in it's current guise could attract a manager that has had success at the top end of our division, or an equivalent achievement in another European league. 

This spot on.

Archived