IGNORED

Cowley Brothers

Waffleflap

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

His job was to keep them up with no real financial backing with a team that hadn't yet won a game.

He goes in and wins manager of the month the following month, 6 game unbeaten run. Keeps them up. Got the job done. 

Yes he kept them up. What a major achievement that is considering we have Barnsley Luton and Hull in this league.

52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know enough about the Cowley's. But it appears to me they are the type I would want. 

Successful everywhere they have been. I think they have played youth, but not completely sure on that. I think they played great football at Lincoln going by the bits I saw, but not sure on that either.

So if they do those things that are intending to play good football and trusting in youth, as well as the amazing record they have. It does look more of the right type for us.

Plus the wages will be cheaper and no compensation pay out. Not that the wages is a big factor!

I am not sure some of those other names would be able to work with what the club wants.

Experience of promotion to the prem might be quite useless the way the game has changed in recent years.

Okay WBA and Fulham were bound to be up there. But the overachievers in this league which are Leeds and Brentford play a game that some of those managers would never play. Championship football is different to what it once was.

How were they successful at Huddlesfield? 
So you want Cowley because you think but not sure that they play good football and play youth but then you think they do but not sure on. 

Just now, Shaun Taylor said:

Managers are a big reason players sign for a club if appointed will Cowley be able to attract them 

One of the criticisms of LJ was that he didnt have the playing record to appeal or gain respect from top players.....he was at yeovil Bristol city derby kilmarnock......we are now linked with a guy whose only games on WIKI are for ROMFORD!!!

1 minute ago, Lez said:

One of the criticisms of LJ was that he didnt have the playing record to appeal or gain respect from top players.....he was at yeovil Bristol city derby kilmarnock......we are now linked with a guy whose only games on WIKI are for ROMFORD!!!

And that was only 18 games?

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

...so are you saying that given a choice of Chris Hughton, Mick McCarthy, Alex Neil, Paul Cook or the Cowleys you take the Cowleys?

Or are you saying 'whoever Steve L appoints I'll be happy'?

I ask because I genuinely think that a major divide on this forum is between people who weigh the candidates in a situation like this and have their own criteria for a 'good' or 'bad' appointment (I'd like to see someone with experience of promotion to the Prem)...

....and there are others who will go along with whatever is decided. And then defend that appointment until the day they are sacked! 

I guess the point for me is we can have our own criteria for what we think is a "good" or "bad" appointment but we'll never have the full information because we are judging externally. Let's say* Mick McCarthy, Hughton was adamant he'd only come if we spent a fortune on veterans in their thirties, Paul Cook made clear in the interview he saw this as a stopgap until a job he really wanted and Alex Neil was aggressive and bad-tempered in the interview and seemed impossible to work with. In those circumstances I'd go for the Cowleys for sure. 

I know what I want from an appointment but I will never know enough about what each manager has said about how they would approach the job or what they have done or not done in the interview to have any idea of whether the manager has shown they will do what I want. I guess the difference for me is that I'm not just interested in their track record but also what their plans are for the club. Shortly after LJ left, I started a thread where I outlined the ten things I wanted the new manager to do

And I will assess the new manager, whoever they are, based on this and make a decision on if they are a good or a bad appointment in a few months time. But there is no way on Earth I can know enough about someone I never met based on an interview process I am not privy to in order to decide for certain if a particular manager is a good or bad appointment on name or track record alone. 

*All of this is of course hypothetical with no basis in fact and not meant to reflect at all on the people in question. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fair enough. Cowley is not top of my list but somewhere on it. But I admit I don't know much about him, just going on his record and what it sounds like he has been like as a manager, playing young players and in the past played very attractive passing football.

The thing about proven managers at this level is what did they have before that got them promoted. 

Would a McCarthy or Hughton demand money to go and get what they need to do the job.

I imagine the likes of Robins and Cowley may be a bit more willing to work with what we have. We have a number of short technical players and I think it probably suits their philosophy more than some other managers who have proven to be a success at this level before, when the championship was quite different to what it is now.

I am very interested in the right foreign coach for sure. Recent foreign head coaches at this level have at times been a success, whilst often playing good football too. 

Don't know who though.

It seems , and like you I’m not 100%
the football he played at Lincoln was very route 1. 
The reason for his dismissal , this coming from a reporter At Huddersfield on talkSPORT earlier. Said it was because of very pragmatic playing style. 

11 minutes ago, Lez said:

You're quoting a post about who they could attract player wise, he had enough about him to get Emile Smith-Rowe from Arsenal on loan

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well I more meant I think he will play good football with us. What I saw of Huddersfield it certainly wasn't bad football, but when you're surviving you maybe need to be a bit more pragmatic. Lincoln looked like he played some great stuff.

And on youth I think he will probably go with quite a few of our young players, but not sure. I can't be bothered to look into ages of all the players he has ever played.

It's okay isn't it to sometimes not know things! I don't know much about the Cowley's. 

Just saying it seems like he is the right type that I want and the club probably want, from the little of the Cowley brothers I know!

One thing I do know is he has done a good job at Huddersfield and overachieved massively at Lincoln. 

The jobs they have taken I can't really see how they could have done much better than they have so far in their careers.

Lowest home goals % in the league.

Just now, Lrrr said:

You're quoting a post about who they could attract player wise, he had enough about him to get Emile Smith-Rowe from Arsenal on loan

Seriously? Emile Smith-Rowe?! I think we are on slightly different wavelengths ?

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Lowest home goals % in the league.

Seriously? Emile Smith-Rowe?! I think we are on slightly different wavelengths ?

I'm sure we'd be very disappointed if we got a youngster Arsenal rate highly... especially given how excited our fans were for getting Nketiah.....

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Twas merely a hypothetical situation, for a bit of a laugh. Come on Tone, you’ve got your own joke thread - keep up sir. ?

Apologies, but my own joke thread has since been renamed !!

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

I'm sure we'd be very disappointed if we got a youngster Arsenal rate highly... especially given how excited our fans were for getting Nketiah.....

You're wasting my time with youth players.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fair enough. Cowley is not top of my list but somewhere on it. But I admit I don't know much about him, just going on his record and what it sounds like he has been like as a manager, playing young players and in the past played very attractive passing football.

The thing about proven managers at this level is what did they have before that got them promoted. 

Would a McCarthy or Hughton demand money to go and get what they need to do the job.

I imagine the likes of Robins and Cowley may be a bit more willing to work with what we have. We have a number of short technical players and I think it probably suits their philosophy more than some other managers who have proven to be a success at this level before, when the championship was quite different to what it is now.

I am very interested in the right foreign coach for sure. Recent foreign head coaches at this level have at times been a success, whilst often playing good football too. 

Don't know who though.

Well I'm grateful that you didn't didn't come back at me with the 'well who fits your criteria?' rhetoric cos I would have been stumped.

With managers like Robins, Cook, Lowe and Cowley, we're essentially taking a punt on their ability to transfer lower league achievements to our play offs objective in the Championship.

Any of them might be the man for the job, but Hughton would fill me with far more piece of mind. Actually what I'd love is for us to unearth a gem from the Bundesliga, but I'm really not being specific here!

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I guess the point for me is we can have our own criteria for what we think is a "good" or "bad" appointment but we'll never have the full information because we are judging externally. Let's say* Mick McCarthy, Hughton was adamant he'd only come if we spent a fortune on veterans in their thirties, Paul Cook made clear in the interview he saw this as a stopgap until a job he really wanted and Alex Neil was aggressive and bad-tempered in the interview and seemed impossible to work with. In those circumstances I'd go for the Cowleys for sure. 

I know what I want from an appointment but I will never know enough about what each manager has said about how they would approach the job or what they have done or not done in the interview to have any idea of whether the manager has shown they will do what I want. I guess the difference for me is that I'm not just interested in their track record but also what their plans are for the club. Shortly after LJ left, I started a thread where I outlined the ten things I wanted the new manager to do

And I will assess the new manager, whoever they are, based on this and make a decision on if they are a good or a bad appointment in a few months time. But there is no way on Earth I can know enough about someone I never met based on an interview process I am not privy to in order to decide for certain if a particular manager is a good or bad appointment on name or track record alone. 

*All of this is of course hypothetical with no basis in fact and not meant to reflect at all on the people in question. 

All good points - and a good thread started earlier. Well here's what I think - based on 40 years of hope but little expectation. I think that all of us as fans kind of know what a 'good one' looks like when it comes along, even if we can't articulate it. Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Danny Wilson, GJ, Cotts....they all felt 'right'...men who had achieved something. By the same token some were a bit 'meh', for me that includes Denis Smith, McInnes, O'Driscoll, even John Ward who went on to be good. Some appointments were depressing - Tinnion, Millen, to an extent LJ. 

Now I fully accept that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Who thought Coppell would turn out to be such a poor appointment? But for me 'up-and-coming lower league hopeful' smacks of a lack of ambition at a time when the fanbase is being told by Lansdown that the club aims for play-offs very soon and promotion in the next few years.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Well I'm grateful that you didn't didn't come back at me with the 'well who fits your criteria?' rhetoric cos I would have been stumped.

With managers like Robins, Cook, Lowe and Cowley, we're essentially taking a punt on their ability to transfer lower league achievements to our play offs objective in the Championship.

Any of them might be the man for the job, but Hughton would fill me with far more piece of mind. Actually what I'd love is for us to unearth a gem from the Bundesliga, but I'm really not being specific here!

Cook is far more proven than Lowe and cowley.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Shows how much you know given he's older than 18 and RB Leipzig have taken him on loan 

And played how many games. I mention big names with big personality and you mention some kid because they play for arsenal. 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Might sound ridiculous where we see where Barnsley are, but I like their manager! ?

Barnsley board made it very clear that they would keep him on despite potential relegation.  They're very impressed with him.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I just assumed when they had players like Payne and Morrell in their midfield, both about 5 foot 6 I reckon, they'd have been a footballing side. Plus the bits i saw on TV but then that's pretty much always in and around the box which might have before the clips come from a hoof ball down field!

For an assumption that small midfielders means footballing side, I’ll give you Dennis Wise and Wimbledon. 

Archived