IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Finley_Smith10

46 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Last time everyone wanted Pearson here, he went to Derby and quickly got sacked.

He's a good manager but I'm not convinced how good a job he would do here. 

I've never really got the "Yes man" thing. I work as a senior manger for a charity and a fair bit of the time my job involves going into meetings arguing my corner for an hour against senior colleagues and then coming out of that meeting and publicly backing whatever decision was made.

If there was a decision I couldn't live with then I'd ultimately quit but, outside of that, part of management is assuming collective responsibility and ownership for decisions made. Going out and telling people you manage, the media or the general public that you disagree is just being unprofessional. 

We don't know what decisions got made behind the scenes or why they were made, or how much LJ argued about those at the time. All we know is that he was (until after the Cardiff game on the day he got sacked) professional enough to publicly back the decisions that were made. That didn't make him a "Yes Man". It just meant he wasn't an arsehole who whines and whinges in public about the arguments he didn't make persuasively enough in private. 

The "Yes man" and "SL won't hire anyone who answers back" attitude is just something people are hiding behind so they can criticise SL or MA and whoever we hire.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Just what this team needs. I don't care if he might upset SL, he needs upsetting. Order a taxi and get him down the gate tomorrow.

I think the man pumping millions into our club is allowed to not be upset. Not saying he can do no wrong but I think he’s earned the right to appoint someone he feels comfortable with. Pearson’s a loose cannon

19 minutes ago, grifty said:

The "Yes man" and "SL won't hire anyone who answers back" attitude is just something people are hiding behind so they can criticise SL or MA and whoever we hire.

Yes people using this as a stick to beat him with is highly disrespectful imv

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Last time everyone wanted Pearson here, he went to Derby and quickly got sacked.

He's a good manager but I'm not convinced how good a job he would do here. 

I've never really got the "Yes man" thing. I work as a senior manger for a charity and a fair bit of the time my job involves going into meetings arguing my corner for an hour against senior colleagues and then coming out of that meeting and publicly backing whatever decision was made.

If there was a decision I couldn't live with then I'd ultimately quit but, outside of that, part of management is assuming collective responsibility and ownership for decisions made. Going out and telling people you manage, the media or the general public that you disagree is just being unprofessional. 

We don't know what decisions got made behind the scenes or why they were made, or how much LJ argued about those at the time. All we know is that he was (until after the Cardiff game on the day he got sacked) professional enough to publicly back the decisions that were made. That didn't make him a "Yes Man". It just meant he wasn't an arsehole who whines and whinges in public about the arguments he didn't make persuasively enough in private. 

Well I am surprised having attended management meetings that you have never come across a "yes man". I also , when working,attended monthly management meetings and came across plenty of yes men over the years They were not prepared to criticize ideas or suggestions by the boss and always  thought his ideas were good. They would never rock the boat. 

10 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well I am surprised having attended management meetings that you have never come across a "yes man". I also , when working,attended monthly management meetings and came across plenty of yes men over the years They were not prepared to criticize ideas or suggestions by the boss and always  thought his ideas were good. They would never rock the boat. 

I'm not saying I've never come across "yes men" or that such people don't exist. What I am saying is the test of whether someone is or is not a "yes man" is what they say in meetings in private, not in public.

I don't want a new manager who constantly undermines the owner and the club in the media. I want someone who will go into meetings, fight tigerishly for their point of view, win the arguments where it really counts but also pick their battles and decide when to respectfully disagree and keep that disagreement in-house.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

But in your professional situation - which I've often found myself in - people more senior probably owe that position to greater experience or knowledge. Their opinion deserves respect, or at least consideration.

The 'yes man' thing comes from the unusual nature of Steve Lansdown's position. He doesn't have more football knowledge or experience than a manager like Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy. Unless I'm mistaken when they were plying their trade as players he didn't even follow football. But he will expect to be the boss, because he owns the club. The club chairman expects to have a say because his Dad owns the club.

That could make life difficult for a respected 'been there, done it' manager who wants to question decisions, e.g. Cotts. The ideal appointment is someone so grateful for the job they'll just do what they are told. A 'yes' man.

But I'm not really clear where this sense that SL only wants a "yes man" comes from. I'd be massively surprised if he got where he's got to in finance without listening to people who disagree and, for all the reasons why it is hard to warm to Mark Ashton, he doesn't strike me as much of a "yes man" either. In fact, I think it's pretty much leaked out that he wanted rid of LJ in 2017 and SL did not so they clearly respectfully disagreed and MA didn't just agree with SL for the sake of it.

The issue with Cotts wasn't that he questioned decisions. It was that he felt the need to let it be known in the media that he was unhappy with decisions that were made and let his frustration affect our performances. That's not "not being a yes man". It's not being professional. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I don't know if Pearson fits what our board are specifically looking for but surely we have to at least have a conversation with him.

I think you are right - probably too experienced & autonomous for an ego like Lansdown.

If you want to be serious then Pearson is the type of appointment to make - he's been there & done it. Had some off periods but, the overall CV is good.

Watford are owned by the Cellino of the PL - they were down before he came in & the downturn in form is linked to key injuries.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

But I'm not really clear where this sense that SL only wants a "yes man" comes from. I'd be massively surprised if he got where he's got to in finance without listening to people who disagree and, for all the reasons why it is hard to warm to Mark Ashton, he doesn't strike me as much of a "yes man" either. In fact, I think it's pretty much leaked out that he wanted rid of LJ in 2017 and SL did not so they clearly respectfully disagreed and MA didn't just agree with SL for the sake of it.

The issue with Cotts wasn't that he questioned decisions. It was that he felt the need to let it be known in the media that he was unhappy with decisions that were made and let his frustration affect our performances. That's not "not being a yes man". It's not being professional. 

I don't think SL has carried the approach that made him successful in business into his stewardship of Bristol City, or rather his stewardship of City on the field. Off the pitch he hires experts to build a stadium or whatever. On the pitch he seems to me to go for appointments in which he, SL, can be part of the story. I think Ashton smooths his ego. Cotts was his own man, with trophies in hand, he could walk away.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Not really. Bristol city seems like a far too comfy place to be to me. The only managers that come in are happy to be puppets on strings- Johnson, Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll etc. 

One manager who got bolshy and wanted to change some things (Cotterill) got the boot. 

Could you really imagine Lansdown answering questions or criticisms aimed at him and Bristol sport? No, the person asking those questions would swiftly be out the door. 

I'm not openly criticising Lansdown, he has done a load for this club. However, if you don’t fall in line with him and Ashton, you’re not coming in sort of thing. 

10 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Not really. Bristol city seems like a far too comfy place to be to me. The only managers that come in are happy to be puppets on strings- Johnson, Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll etc. 

One manager who got bolshy and wanted to change some things (Cotterill) got the boot. 

Could you really imagine Lansdown answering questions or criticisms aimed at him and Bristol sport? No, the person asking those questions would swiftly be out the door. 

I'm not openly criticising Lansdown, he has done a load for this club. However, if you don’t fall in line with him and Ashton, you’re not coming in sort of thing. 

Fairly sure all of those managers got the boot 

I am still really open to who we get.  Even with the likes of Flynn, if MA/SL/JL can give us good reasons why, then I’ll be fine.  They just don’t appear obvious reasons at this point in time.  They might be reasons I don’t like, they might be reasons I can get right behind.

The way it’s going, from an outsider looking in and lots of assumptions, it appears that we are looking for a manager to play with what we have already.  It’s a decent squad, younger players chomping at the bit.  

Sacked by Watford for lumping a player at half time during the West Ham game after choice words were exchanged. Had the players locked in the dressing room at full time & wouldn’t let the chairman in. HT incident was reported to higher ups, inquiry ensued, Pearson gone.

Lansdown wouldn’t touch this nutcase with a barge pole. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I am still really open to who we get.  Even with the likes of Flynn, if MA/SL/JL can give us good reasons why, then I’ll be fine.  They just don’t appear obvious reasons at this point in time.  They might be reasons I don’t like, they might be reasons I can get right behind.

The way it’s going, from an outsider looking in and lots of assumptions, it appears that we are looking for a manager to play with what we have already.  It’s a decent squad, younger players chomping at the bit.  

Me too Dave, but if it's a 'lesser' name, I'd want to hear about their vision and persuasive and compelling delivery of that vision.

If Flynn came in and spoke with Lansdown with the usual cliches you'd hope it wasn't enough to land this job.

If, however, Lansdown was spellbound by Flynn's passionate and assertive demeanor, and his nuanced and detailed plan for success, then I guess we trust the recruitment for the time being...

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

There's one big difference... Mark Ashton. I'm not saying he's a good or bad influence but Lam doesn't have to work with him

I don’t really follow the rugby, who’s the MA equivalent?  Tainton?  Is he a good’ un?

Am I right in think he’s related to Trevor?

4 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Sacked by Watford for lumping a player at half time during the West Ham game after choice words were exchanged. Had the players locked in the dressing room at full time & wouldn’t let the chairman in. HT incident was reported to higher ups, inquiry ensued, Pearson gone.

Lansdown wouldn’t touch this nutcase with a barge pole. 

I did wonder if there was an altercation connected with the West Ham match as he is known as a hot head and remember him grabbing an opposing player whilst manager of Leicester    

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I did wonder if there was an altercation connected with the West Ham match as he is known as a hot head and remember him grabbing an opposing player whilst manager of Leicester    

Been told the altercation wasn’t all that serious & Watford owners jumped at the chance to sack him to avoid paying a considerable safety bonus in Pearson’s contract if he kept them up. Going to get messy this one.  

5 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Been told the altercation wasn’t all that serious & Watford owners jumped at the chance to sack him to avoid paying a considerable safety bonus in Pearson’s contract if he kept them up. Going to get messy this one.  

Watford certainly get through their managers 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Meh. Nicey nicey bollox

We need a statement of intent - not some up and coming promise. We need someone proven or someone able to inspire (ex top pro).

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Not a chance.

Most ridiculous suggestion yet.

If they couldn't handle Cotterill...

This unfortunately. Pearson would be a good shout and as others have said he is a strong character - just what the club needs.  Too strong of a character for the hierarchy at this club though, Ashton and Lansdown fear a Person, not the yes man that they are looking for.

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Meh. Nicey nicey bollox

We need a statement of intent - not some up and coming promise. We need someone proven or someone able to inspire (ex top pro).

That’s what I want too.  But that might not be what we get.  Hughton calibre appointment is my no1.  If we can’t attract that type, then I want Cook.

Archived