IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Finley_Smith10

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I don't think SL has carried the approach that made him successful in business into his stewardship of Bristol City, or rather his stewardship of City on the field. Off the pitch he hires experts to build a stadium or whatever. On the pitch he seems to me to go for appointments in which he, SL, can be part of the story. I think Ashton smooths his ego. Cotts was his own man, with trophies in hand, he could walk away.

Spot on. If he'd transferred his business skills to the football club we'd be in the Champions league next year, not the Championship 

44 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Sacked by Watford for lumping a player at half time during the West Ham game after choice words were exchanged. Had the players locked in the dressing room at full time & wouldn’t let the chairman in. HT incident was reported to higher ups, inquiry ensued, Pearson gone.

Lansdown wouldn’t touch this nutcase with a barge pole. 

Lumping a player - isn't that what GJ did at Plymouth to Sproule; he was a good manager for a while!!!!!

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

But I'm not really clear where this sense that SL only wants a "yes man" comes from. I'd be massively surprised if he got where he's got to in finance without listening to people who disagree and, for all the reasons why it is hard to warm to Mark Ashton, he doesn't strike me as much of a "yes man" either. In fact, I think it's pretty much leaked out that he wanted rid of LJ in 2017 and SL did not so they clearly respectfully disagreed and MA didn't just agree with SL for the sake of it.

The issue with Cotts wasn't that he questioned decisions. It was that he felt the need to let it be known in the media that he was unhappy with decisions that were made and let his frustration affect our performances. That's not "not being a yes man". It's not being professional. 

I’ve always considered the “yes man” tag to be a tired cliche that means very little. A lazy, throwaway comment.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve always considered the “yes man” tag to be a tired cliche that means very little. A lazy, throwaway comment.

Totally agree . O’Driscoll, GJ, Mcinnes, Coppel and Cotts were not “Yes” men in any way so I think the thought that we only appoint “yes” men is well wide of the mark to be honest . 

Very odd- and harsh- decision to sack, especially so late.

Would suggest though one or two if the posts- about Silva, 'foreign unknowns' tad on the parochial side tbh.

Silva's record wasn't do bad, Phelan left Hull fairly stranded- that would've been a bit of a great escape. Everton first season not so terrible. Managers who have managed in good foreign Leagues, or European competition, aren't foreign unknown as such, except to Merson. 

Bielsa to Leeds or Rowett to Stoke in 2018...suspect a few may have preferred/rated more highly the latter...?

Quique Flores a foreign unknown? Managed Valencia, Atletico. Both major European competitions, sure he won Europa with the latter too. 

Harsh sacking for sure but the 'foreign unknowns' always interests me.

Last 4 seasons inclusive of this, promoted. 

Foreign Managers 6 UK managers 4. You'd have to say a fair chance of Brentford or West Brom making it 7, with playoffs who knows. Could be anything between 6 and 6 or 8 and 4!

Prior 4 seasons it was, 10 UK managers, 2 foreign. Albeit 2 were from elsewhere in UK.

A few of these will be 'foreign unknowns'. 

Back on Pearson, his Derby record wasn't up to much, but he was only there two months or so into the season, and we all know how they're run. 

1 hour ago, Greedo said:

Sacked by Watford for lumping a player at half time during the West Ham game after choice words were exchanged. Had the players locked in the dressing room at full time & wouldn’t let the chairman in. HT incident was reported to higher ups, inquiry ensued, Pearson gone.

Lansdown wouldn’t touch this nutcase with a barge pole. 

If that's true then it wouldn't be the first time.

32 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The bloke is unhinged. Not helped by the fact he drinks to much 

Seems well chilled in front of camera. A bit old school won't take shit from an under performing millionaire player. 

Clearly had to go if he clumped and imprisoned people though ?

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes and clough would also have not let a chairman anywhere near a dressing room.

No manager whos anybody would do so.

He must have laid some foundations, for leicesters title surely?

Reminds me of a joke I heard...

”Dad, can you tell be about the time when Leicester won the Premier League?”

”Well it all started when Nigel Pearson’s son sh*gged a Thai prostitute”

I can see why he is disliked by many because of his dour character and also his history of strange incidents such as the one with the Palace player and the whole ostrich thing. I can't help but like him though, he seems like an intense guy who tells it like it is and he has a good record. It has been suggested by the media that he's a bully but I don't know if there is really anything to that and anybody who gets a team promoted from the championship with 100+ points gets serious credit from me. I don't think Pearson is as good a fit for the club as Hughton but they are on a level that would show that we are serious about promotion, however I'm not convinced thats the type of level of manager we are going to replace LJ with. My guess is Pearson will go for a PL team who start next season badly similar to the job he has done at Watford.

Pearson is a natural leader and manager of men. Inspires respect from the sort of player you want respect from and the ones you don't can fade away.

Same mould as Cotts.

Doesn't suffer fool gladly, particularly owners of football clubs.

He is the manager we should go for, but won't.

He's got the charisma of a brick.

I actually think he detests the media. He's another who's likely to say "stupid question" whilst looking like he will punch your lights out.

At the interview he'd be looking down his nose and telling SL where he's been going wrong all these years.

You think some people would've mellowed as they get older but not him.

Its a no from me.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Pearson is a natural leader and manager of men. Inspires respect from the sort of player you want respect from and the ones you don't can fade away.

Same mould as Cotts.

Doesn't suffer fool gladly, particularly owners of football clubs.

He is the manager we should go for, but won't.

Took the words out of my mouth. I said much the same to @Kid in the Riotyesterday.

I’d take him if he was interested. Doesn’t fit the SL profile, though, eg he’s no lapdog. 

On 19/07/2020 at 20:12, Shaun Taylor said:

Watford certainly get through their managers 

If I heard correctly on talk sport earlier it's 13 in 10 years!

41 minutes ago, tin said:

Took the words out of my mouth. I said much the same to @Kid in the Riotyesterday.

I’d take him if he was interested. Doesn’t fit the SL profile, though, eg he’s no lapdog. 

No, don't think it'll be him.

If it's true he hit one of his players yesterday then he may struggle to get a top job in the near future! 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, don't think it'll be him.

If it's true he hit one of his players yesterday then he may struggle to get a top job in the near future! 

Deeney on the Pearson rumours:

"I just want to put it out there, there was no fight at half-time," he told beIN Sports. "It's 2020, you don't do that any more and certainly with all the cameras you would see a lot more if that was the case.

"The gaffer didn't put his hands on anybody. He was just frustrated and had a firm talking to us. No-one was fighting, no-one was punched and no-one was tickled. There were no hands thrown.

"Second of all, Troy will not be picking teams - I have read that online as well. I am player-coach, apparently. Anything else I have missed out? We weren't locked in... so a lot of interesting things."

[Goal]

My sister in law works for Watford in their media team and Pearson is a really nice guy apparently. 

He's clearly a decent coach and Watford looked dead and buried before he came in. Lockdown came at a bad time for them to be honest. 

We could do a lot worse. He wouldn't be my first choice but he knows the league well and he's got out of this league before. 

16 hours ago, mozo said:

Deeney on the Pearson rumours:

"I just want to put it out there, there was no fight at half-time," he told beIN Sports. "It's 2020, you don't do that any more and certainly with all the cameras you would see a lot more if that was the case.

"The gaffer didn't put his hands on anybody. He was just frustrated and had a firm talking to us. No-one was fighting, no-one was punched and no-one was tickled. There were no hands thrown.

"Second of all, Troy will not be picking teams - I have read that online as well. I am player-coach, apparently. Anything else I have missed out? We weren't locked in... so a lot of interesting things."

[Goal]

So no controversy then, the guy was just the latest "victim" of working for the nutter that Watford have running them. The full payout that Premiership Managers get after being sacked will get him over it.

I wouldn't have any problem at all if he Lansdown/Ashton appointed him to come and manage us.

13 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So no controversy then, the guy was just the latest "victim" of working for the nutter that Watford have running them. The full payout that Premiership Managers get after being sacked will get him over it.

I wouldn't have any problem at all if he Lansdown/Ashton appointed him to come and manage us.

So I heard a few of their players went to the owners to complain he hurt their feelings. Owners have a close relationship with most their signings.

38 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

So I heard a few of their players went to the owners to complain he hurt their feelings. Owners have a close relationship with most their signings.

Sounds like they all just needed to get some Ben & Jerry's, find Ghost on Netflix and have a duvet day. Everything would be better the next day.

Wanted Vile to go down by a country mile, but the way Watford owners have acted recently, they are a close second for sure.

Wouldn't have a problem with Pearson down here tbh. Would definitely toughen us up a bit in defense and midfield.

Just imagine Pearson and Tomlin in the same dressing room after a 5-0 defeat..... would be interesting! 

2 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Wanted Vile to go down by a country mile, but the way Watford owners have acted recently, they are a close second for sure.

Wouldn't have a problem with Pearson down here tbh. Would definitely toughen us up a bit in defense and midfield.

Just imagine Pearson and Tomlin in the same dressing room after a 5-0 defeat..... would be interesting! 

Yeah doubt that Pearson would change the dressing room rules because he couldn't handle him!

Archived