IGNORED

Nottingham Forest

Eddie Notgetinya

Sorry for the massive text!

Another one of those fallen great football clubs that have become an absolute joke in recent times. 8 managers in 4 years (not including caretakers).

They certainly got the right man in this time as they have almost certainly made the playoffs and secured their highest league position in 9 years (unless they have an absolute mare on the final day) - all with a squad I’d argue is really no better than ours.

Goes to show how important this next managerial appointment could be for us.

41 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Another one of those fallen great football clubs that have become an absolute joke in recent times. 8 managers in 4 years (not including caretakers).

They certainly got the right man in this time as they have almost certainly made the playoffs and secured their highest league position in 9 years (unless they have an absolute mare on the final day) - all with a squad I’d argue is really no better than ours.

They were only a ‘great’ club for about 10 years, and only because of one great manager. Otherwise they are a run of the mill club, who have hovered between the top two divisions for 130 years! 

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They were only a ‘great’ club for about 10 years, and only because of one great manager. Otherwise they are a run of the mill club, who have hovered between the top two divisions for 130 years! 

You have highlighted the difference between City and Forest.

They bounce between top and second tiers.

We are Second and Third.

At least they have achieved trophies that we can only dream of.

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We are Second and Third.

They don’t bounce anywhere. They haven’t been out of the Championship since 98/99

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

We are Second and Third.

Have they not been 2nd & 3rd tier for the past 20 years..? 

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We are Second and Third.

I’m not belittling them whatsoever, all I’m trying to say is, take away Brian Clough and Forest have won two FA cups. One 60 years ago, one 120 years ago. So this thought of them being a big club is ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

But you can't take away their history

A ten year history!

Obviously Forest are a bigger club than us, not just because of their purple patch in history but also as that period of success helped create a larger fanbase than ours. 

In a lot of respects I find them similar to us though, size of city, two team city and its not long ago they would average less than we do at the moment.

Perennial average Champ club now with a trigger happy chairman so it is certainly one of our failures finishing below them this season.

Just talking about the here and now.

I don't think they're wildly better than us- I said this weeks ago and we saw it when we were unlucky to lose there in LJ's penultimate game.

Not solely or wholly on the strength of that game, we should have been genuinely aiming at 5th or 6th IMO- I really don't see them as anything special, anything unattainable- and same goes for chasing pack a lot of the time. Top 4 seem that much better in a number of ways- either outstanding style of play, manager, or squad depth- I'd put Fulham in the last category but below that was or should've been properly open for a run, open to anyone IMO.

Not saying they're a poor side or poor sides, but you know- 5th downwards, this sort of chase/position felt obtainable. An open race- yet it wasn't!

Forest remind me a lot of Huddersfield the season they went up. I don't think they are an exceptional side by any means but they are extremely well organised and hard to play against. Both games against us, their plan seemed to be to avoid conceding at all costs, draw us out and get something on the break. At Ashton Gate, it earned them a 0-0 draw with ten men and it obviously worked a charm in the reverse fixture where we essentially played into their hands.

I don't envy whoever gets them in the play-offs and I can see them potentially going up but I think, if they don't, they may struggle to replicate it again next season. 

On 20/07/2020 at 06:39, Portland Bill said:

I’m not belittling them whatsoever, all I’m trying to say is, take away Brian Clough and Forest have won two FA cups. One 60 years ago, one 120 years ago. So this thought of them being a big club is ridiculous.

Agreed. Growing up I saw Forest as a ‘big’ club, even when relegated in 93-it was a shock. 

When I looked at their general history before Clough I was taken aback by how nondescript they had been. 

On 19/07/2020 at 17:01, Eddie Notgetinya said:

You even wrote it in particularly large text, for all to see...! ???

Archived