IGNORED

No plan, no action

Matthew me

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan. Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again.

Come on City, pick someone, get on with it. Give our new manager every chance of success .

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. 

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly. Guess it's just our "DNA"

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six

Chill. It's a lovely sunny day, I know it's Monday morning but go and grab a coffee & relax a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan. Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again.

Come on City, pick someone, get on with it. Give our new manager every chance of success .

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. 

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly. Guess it's just our "DNA"

So when they appointed LJ it was a rush job, now they are taking their time and they are missing the boat!  No pleasing some people

9 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I’m guessing that you’ve not been a City fan for very long. 

I mean I suppose it makes a change from the relentless LJ bashing or disagreements with refund policy. These ‘blah blah blah’ we should have employed someone straight away posts but still, not very entertaining or informative. Still I expect all these astute businessmen who post on OTIB with there intimate knowledge of the intricate ins and outs of running a football club are spot on.

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

How do you know that our plan doesn't involve someone currently wth a job, and we're just waiting until the season ends??

Completely agree , I think we’ll have someone in place by the end of this week. 

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m guessing that you’ve not been a City fan for very long. 

I've no idea why you'd suggest that. 

Just because I want our replacement to be named asap. Let him meet the players before they head off for holiday.... 

If that makes me less of a fan, so be it

20 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Chill. It's a lovely sunny day, I know it's Monday morning but go and grab a coffee & relax a bit. 

I do need a coffee! ?

9 minutes ago, Roe said:

It took 23 days to hire LJ after Cotterill went. It takes time. 

Sadly, that doesn't bode well. If it took 23 days to find LJ.... I'm even more concerned now

I would certainly hope that anyone interested in the job has already been doing their homework on us, watching our games, speaking to people in the game with a greater knowledge of us etc so that should they be successful then they already know what we're about to an extent.  That's just basic prep work.  If a manager is coming to us completely blind without doing their due diligence then are they really the right choice?

If they are ultimately unsuccessful, then they already have an idea about us when it may come to facing us.

16 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I mean I suppose it makes a change from the relentless LJ bashing or disagreements with refund policy. These ‘blah blah blah’ we should have employed someone straight away posts but still, not very entertaining or informative. Still I expect all these astute businessmen who post on OTIB with there intimate knowledge of the intricate ins and outs of running a football club are spot on.

Ive not bashed anyone before, I just can't understand why we've delayed it and reduced the amount of time our new manager has with the squad. Surely it would of made sense to get the new man in asap

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I suspect we'd rather take someone who's not working , no compo. But let's see

"Let's see" is what I'm doing. You're the one who's already decided we've left it too late!

And not necessarily about compo either, incidentally. Norwich get relegated, sack Farke, is one scenario??

31 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

What makes someone wake up in the morning and think this is a good topic to start? None of us know whether that is the case - it's all hypothetical. I'm glad we're taking time rather than rushing into an appointment.

Managers like Hughton know they're in demand and hold a market value, they're obviously going to take their time over decisions too. 

It actually feels like the opposite to be quite honest.

Whatever your thoughts on the changes since Mark Ashton/Lee Johnson arrived, we’re now a team regularly finishing mid table in the Championship and with a squad that is arguably under achieving.

Any succession plan should be thought out and considered; firing a manager who has been here four years and grabbing the next person ASAP just to fill the void doesn’t feel like the way to find the best replacement, it would feel reactionary.

I have no idea who we are looking for but when we had more chance (albeit slim) of making the playoffs than relegation when we let LJ go, I wanted them to take their time finding the best person for us.

Not saying the time taken will mean we get the right person, but doing the due diligence isn’t a bad thing on something this important.

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I've no idea why you'd suggest that. 

Just because I want our replacement to be named asap. Let him meet the players before they head off for holiday.... 

I said that because if you’d been a long time City fan you’d realise that things take much longer than expected. It’s the same during transfer windows - any movement in or out seems to wait to the last day.

In this case I imagine that JL and MA are being duly diligent and that takes time especially if there have been plenty of applicants.

There’s only one game remaining and personally I can’t see the need to appoint anyone just yet.

One name that hasn’t got much of a mention is Dean Holden..............:cool2:

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I said that because if you’d been a long time City fan you’d realise that things take much longer than expected. It’s the same during transfer windows - any movement in or out seems to wait to the last day.

In this case I imagine that JL and MA are being duly diligent and that takes time especially if there have been plenty of applicants.

There’s only one game remaining and personally I can’t see the need to appoint anyone just yet.

One name that hasn’t got much of a mention is Dean Holden..............:cool2:

I think it's incredibly unlikely to be Holden.

19 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Hughton is available, not sure for how much longer and he had indicated that he wanted to come here, should have been sorted by now.. hanging around waiting for another option or a cheaper option is just crazy 

Seeing as you obviously know the list of requirements that Hughton has, would you like to share them with us?

35 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place, because the club would of course immediately publish their recruitment plan, including all candidates being considered, interview dates, salary and budget being offered and the date by which the appointment will be confirmed. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six, despite almost every fan coming to the realisation over the last few months that LJ had reached the limit of his ability and what he could achieve here, although it would have been madness to pull the trigger while we still had a realistic chance of reaching the play offs. Once that evaporated, the club made the obvious decision.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan, it would be, but how do any of us know that the club did not have a back up/contingency plan in place? Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly, we might have, but what if either/both rejected our offer or are waiting for a better job to come available?. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again, but might not have done if we have been waiting for the club's ideal candidate to become available.

Come on City, pick someone, anyone, we don't care who, what experience they have , or even no experience, get on with it if only to keep us fans happy and give us all the ammunition we need to blame the club for rushing in, going for the cheap option etc. etc. when it all goes tits up, as it inevitably will. Give our new manager every chance of success failing before he's even started by rushing into a decision just to appease impatient fans.

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. We might not see some of them ever again!

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . It stinks of a club that keeps it's cards close to it's chest, which is annoying and frustrating for fans that feel they should be informed as to every move being made and think that making one of the most important appointments made for a long time should be made as quickly as possible.We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly although none of those clubs have acted any quicker than us so far, and we are assuming that CH is the right man for th Bristol City job. Would he be the right man if he demanded a £50m transfer budget to rebuild the squad and with player wages in line with that level of transfer fees?. Guess it's just our "DNA"

The club was criticised for  rushing into the last appointment and taking the "cheap" option - or at least that's what most fans said at the time, and often since - being accused of not following a proper appointment process and when there were, by all accounts, other very good managers interested in the job.

I think I'm right in saying that Lj was appointed back then later than we now are since his sacking - if that makes sense.

Now it seems everyone thinks we are taking too long.

58 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Our back up is Holden and MacAllister .

40 minutes ago, Roe said:

It took 23 days to hire LJ after Cotterill went. It takes time. 

This is what worries me. Lansdown was always giving that job to Johnson. I suspected that the time in took was planned so that it lessened the resistance to LJs appointment. in as much that any dissenters ire would be tempered by the fact that at least we had finally appointed someone.

I wonder if They are doing the same this time. 

Archived