IGNORED

No plan, no action

Matthew me

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As you've shown in that list there is a real variant in the types of managers being linked. In terms of ones that I've heard we are actually interested in then I'd have to say they do fall into the last three categories. In terms of the likes of Hughton and McCarthy, whilst they have both stated they have an interest in the job, to my knowledge that isn't replicated by the club - but that's not to say we definitely aren't interested in that type. Maybe just not these two specifically, or maybe it's just being kept very quiet. There is however of course logic in the argument that if we were interested in Hughton, for example, then it should be done by now given he is out of work and our season is over. 

I speculated in the middle of last week that Gerrard was SL's first choice and so it was interesting to read the Express article from Saturday night that stated Gerrard has turned us down and also that he was our first choice. That seems to fit together. I'm no longer convinced Hughton is the "fallback" as I suggested last week, however.

image.thumb.png.1869409bef7a0d3470e296919caee296.png

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think the pretty unrealistic Hughton option is clouding everyone’s judgment on alternatives.  He has allegedly turned down one Premier League and four Championship jobs in the last year. He has Watford, Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich jobs potentially available.

The chance he would want to come to us is pretty slim I reckon. 

If he wasn’t in fans heads then the options such as Robins, Cowley and Lowe might be better received.  

I see the Hughton appointment as a pleasant surprise if it happens.  Looking at it realistically I am happy with the three mentioned above.  

The latest article and tweets from GMcG give this fresh context; Gerrard is the target, Post referencing the Express article with regard to Gerrard turning us down and saying they don't believe that he has. Perhaps Hughton is the fallback, but if we spend too long pursuing Gerrard the danger is we end up with neither.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Why should he meet the players before they go on their holidays.

What difference will that make to anything.

Perhaps he could give each player sixpence for an ice-cream.

That's what my Gran did when I was going on holiday.

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan. Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again.

Come on City, pick someone, get on with it. Give our new manager every chance of success .

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. 

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly. Guess it's just our "DNA"

The more I read this post, the better it gets.  Could it please be put in the classics section?

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The latest article and tweets from GMcG give this fresh context; Gerrard is the target, Post referencing the Express article with regard to Gerrard turning us down and saying they don't believe that he has. Perhaps Hughton is the fallback, but if we spend too long pursuing Gerrard the danger is we end up with neither.

Maybe Hughton has already turned us down

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

How do you know that our plan doesn't involve someone currently wth a job, and we're just waiting until the season ends??

Indeex

4 hours ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan. Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again.

Come on City, pick someone, get on with it. Give our new manager every chance of success .

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. 

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly. Guess it's just our "DNA"

we were always going to wait until the end of the season before we brought someone in,

Whats the point of bringing some one in for 3 games only? Whats the point in bringing someone one when there wasn't really much to play for?

Whats the point bringing someone when holden got the team winning?

Stop being an idiot

3 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Hughton is available, not sure for how much longer and he had indicated that he wanted to come here, should have been sorted by now.. hanging around waiting for another option or a cheaper option is just crazy 

I'm not trying to question what you say but when and how did Chris Hughton actually indicate that he wanted to manage Bristol City?

What was the point of letting LJ go when we did? Trigger could and should have been pulled a lot sooner if performances and league position were the criteria for keeping his job. Most of us could see this wasn’t being achieved for months.

Not saying that the club aren’t following up on a plan but from the outside to me it doesn’t look like it

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

What was the point of letting LJ go when we did? Trigger could and should have been pulled a lot sooner if performances and league position were the criteria for keeping his job. Most of us could see this wasn’t being achieved for months.

Not saying that the club aren’t following up on a plan but from the outside to me it doesn’t look like it

We let him go when we did because he was failing his objective set this season, ie top 6, lansdown said he wanted that this season and we weren't going to get it,

If he was still in charge and we slipped to 7th on the final day he still would of been sack,

It mirrors Danny Wilson in a way, missed his target so was sacked

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

We let him go when we did because he was failing his objective set this season, ie top 6, lansdown said he wanted that this season and we weren't going to get it,

If he was still in charge and we slipped to 7th on the final day he still would of been sack,

It mirrors Danny Wilson in a way, missed his target so was sacked

Yep, I get that but I think we could all see that wasn’t going to happen a while ago regardless if by hook or by crook we managed to somehow get in the Playoffs.

So what I think I’m getting at what seems like a lack of a plan to kick into action when LJ is finally shown the door.

Just seems all very much. “Hmm, well we’ve sacked the head coach we’d better get on to HR and get them to get a job advert on Indeed, Monster etc. Oh, and check who’s out of work on LinkedIn”

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Indeex

we were always going to wait until the end of the season before we brought someone in,

Whats the point of bringing some one in for 3 games only? Whats the point in bringing someone one when there wasn't really much to play for?

Whats the point bringing someone when holden got the team winning?

Stop being an idiot

In my opinion, it makes perfect sense to add a new manager when the season is dead. We have contract negotiations to complete , signings to plan, and it allows the manager to see and feel the players reaction during a period of dead games. It would of been a pre-season, before pre season!

If wanting a manager into your club asap to meet the players, move house, settle in the area, plan the transfer window means I'm an idiot, so be it. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Glad you reacted that way.

That said, Monkeh does make very sensible points................:cool2:

Full reaction below ? next post 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you might be on the right lines. I wonder if Terry would be too divisive. I wouldn't rule out a similar high profile former player appointment from abroad. Someone international/world level as a player who's retired in the last 10 years.

That would certainly be interesting. Particularly if it was someone who'd spent a bit of time at reserve or assistant level. Could certainly see it. 

3 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Ridiculous is sacking a manager during a season with reduced transfer window, reduced holidays , lots of managers available and do nothing for weeks

Can you back up your claim that we are ‘doing nothing for weeks’ ? 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You don’t agree RE?  

Seems very reasonable to me.

I thought it questionable that we were always going to wait until the end of the season to bring someone in...hindsight is a wonderful thing...and more questionable that the OP putting his cards on the table made him, if one happened to disagree, an 'idiot'.

But I have to confess I was looking for an opportunity to indulge in an emoji exchange. :cool2:

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I thought it questionable that we were always going to wait until the end of the season to bring someone in...hindsight is a wonderful thing...and more questionable that the OP putting his cards on the table made him, if one happened to disagree, an 'idiot'.

But I have to confess I was looking for an opportunity to indulge in an emoji exchange. :cool2:

SL inferred they were looking to move quickly in his TS interview.  That’s not to say he meant something different, but I agree, to be adamant that it was going to be end of season is speculative in the same way me thinking it would be quick was.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

SL inferred they were looking to move quickly in his TS interview.  That’s not to say he meant something different, but I agree, to be adamant that it was going to be end of season is speculative in the same way me thinking it would be quick was.

Yep, my impression was that we were going to be quick off the mark. Obs not - as younger folk might say!

Archived