IGNORED

Our last untapped revenue stream

CyderInACan

Bearing in mind FFP restrictions and the Covid related slump in revenue and talk of the new manager (and new coaching team?) being much better remunerated than LJ I wonder if Lansdown has considered the naming rights to AG?

I guess he'd be loathed to sell/buy the ground a la Derby et al given his public opposition to such financial chicanery, so the sponsorship or naming rights, call it what you will , could pull in some extra (and presumably substantial) revenue, especially if a big name such as Stevie G was installed as our new gaffer. 

When AG was redeveloped I had kind of expected it to be the Hargreaves Lansdown Stadium (or similar) but we obviously resisted any such move. Now with a squeeze on income and the potential* of a touch of the box office to our new appointment, I wonder if a deal  could be done to strengthen our hand in the transfer market at a time when lots of other clubs will be really feeling the pinch. 

Could we? Would we? Would anyone be too bothered about it if it brought in a few more million quid?

*chose that word in case we appoint some bloke off the Downs 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Bearing in mind FFP restrictions and the Covid related slump in revenue and talk of the new manager (and new coaching team?) being much better remunerated than LJ I wonder if Lansdown has considered the naming rights to AG?

I guess he'd be loathed to sell/buy the ground a la Derby et al given his public opposition to such financial chicanery, so the sponsorship or naming rights, call it what you will , could pull in some extra (and presumably substantial) revenue, especially if a big name such as Stevie G was installed as our new gaffer. 

When AG was redeveloped I had kind of expected it to be the Hargreaves Lansdown Stadium (or similar) but we obviously resisted any such move. Now with a squeeze on income and the potential* of a touch of the box office to our new appointment, I wonder if a deal  could be done to strengthen our hand in the transfer market at a time when lots of other clubs will be really feeling the pinch. 

Could we? Would we? Would anyone be too bothered about it if it brought in a few more million quid?

I don't know the answer here, but you've just reminded me that I was pondering over the weekend why Hargreaves Lansdown has never sponsored City. Does anyone here know? Seems to me that it would have been a legit deal?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't know the answer here, but you've just reminded me that I was pondering over the weekend why Hargreaves Lansdown has never sponsored City. Does anyone here know? Seems to me that it would have been a legit deal?

DaveFev is your man. He knows these things.

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

They can sponsor us, as long as it's not at an inflated price. RSG (Keith Dawe's company I believe) sponsored the shirts for a few seasons. 

It's part of the reason Man City were recently in court, there were claims the sponsorship deals they had were a lot more than market value. 

SL did not even want the new stand to be named after him, I think he said he would fire the person the first person who suggested it!! They had to "collectively" break the news to him that we were gonig to call it the Landsdown stand, I would have no problem at all with the stadium being names after the family who have done so much for the club.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

DaveFev is your man. He knows these things.

Not really.  But I know naming rights were subject to a lot of fuss in the UEFA FFP rules when Man City tried it on, who deemed it an “improper transaction”.  I’m not sure if that was based on value or principle.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

They can sponsor us, as long as it's not at an inflated price. RSG (Keith Dawe's company I believe) sponsored the shirts for a few seasons. 

It's part of the reason Man City were recently in court, there were claims the sponsorship deals they had were a lot more than market value. 

I'm not so sure on this. Sheffield Wednesday have 3 sponsors which aren't even real companies. Think it's shirt, shorts and stadium sponsors. 

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

I'm not so sure on this. Sheffield Wednesday have 3 sponsors which aren't even real companies. Think it's shirt, shorts and stadium sponsors. 

I guess we will find out the answer shortly.  If they a points deduction they could be worse off than Wigan.

Intra-Company transaction should be done at fair value / arms length, but I don’t know whether the sums involved are fair or not. @Mr Popodopolousis the real expert on this stuff.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

We'd get a heck of a lot more for the naming rights as a Premier League club.... 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I guess we will find out the answer shortly.  If they a points deduction they could be worse off than Wigan.

Intra-Company transaction should be done at fair value / arms length, but I don’t know whether the sums involved are fair or not. @Mr Popodopolousis the real expert on this stuff.

@Selred

Haha I do try, thanks Dave- hopefully @Coppello will rubberstamp this one.

That seems right- fair value/arms length- as if a genuine, truly commercial transaction.

As I recall, the EFL didn't have any particular issue with Sheffield Wednesday and these deals- I put it down to two reasons. 1) Harvey- say no more! 2) The sponsorships don't strike me as OTT, or excessive- I think in total they came to £1-1.5m per season- shirt, shorts and stadium sponsors was it for a fairly big, well supported Championship club? Probably about par isn't it. Not excessive in any case IMO.

Unsure if it forms part of these cases- most likely the stadium stuff, ie date, price, reporting period etc.

Archived