IGNORED

Charlton under Embargo

Davefevs

49 minutes ago, Lez said:

God no.

Why not? Of the realistic options in that position and in our division he's got the best stats bar 29 year old Cabral at Reading. If he's available on the cheap then he'd be a great replacement if Maenpaa leaves.

He's got better statistics than Bentley this season, despite facing a few more shots than our number 1, and is a couple of years younger.

I know promoting O'Leary to number 2 is probably preferable. But Phillips is well worth a look, especially if Maenpaa leaves and our younger keepers get loaned out again.

Just now, Curr Avon said:

Taxi for Rick Parry?

He's not had long enough to be responsible for it, was a problem at least in Shaun Harvey's time as well and has been for a long time. Parry hasn't yet been in the job for a year.

32 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes, the old Unfit and Improper test has worked its magic again. Taxi for Rick Parry?

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's not had long enough to be responsible for it, was a problem at least in Shaun Harvey's time as well and has been for a long time. Parry hasn't yet been in the job for a year.

Let’s not forget a certain CEO a bit closer to home is also on the EFL board! 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Let’s not forget a certain CEO a bit closer to home is also on the EFL board! 

Very good point. Personally not thought too much about Bowyer.

Wouldn't be dead against it if we were going for another "Johnson up and coming type", but most certainly doesn't fit the profile of someone who has achieved the promotion we're after, whereas Alex Neil does.

8 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes, the old Unfit and Improper test has worked its magic again. Taxi for Rick Parry?

8 hours ago, Lrrr said:

In fairness, Parry has excellent credentials. He's only been in charge what 9-10 months and has had one hell of an in-tray...

...That idiot I've bolded is responsible for a lot of this- what a mess he left!!

However, it's not entirely his fault- actually it's not entirely any individuals fault. The EFL and company law can play a role AFAIK. Club owners vote on regulations.

Think about that a second. Let it sink in- there are plenty of outstanding or even decent club owners,

However, are club owners and especially the rogues or at least those push the boundaries among them going to vote for tighter regulations? Maybe Post Covid this will change but before hand? Not a chance!

Or in enough numbers to effect meaningful change in this area?  Only way to do so would be a genuinely independent external body or Government giving the EFL powers equivalent to it- Owners may vote for it but unconvinced, so it has to bypass them in some areas.

I consider Parry to be excellent- I do! Like I say his credentials, his track record. His speaking out on Parachute Payments, his driving for salary caps, his determination to a) Keep all the clubs solvent through safeguarding their future and b) His determination to enforce proper standards- possible e.g. in future automatic points deduction for wage caps, he's a real reformer and ideal for these times but what a mess he's inherited- and that's even pre Covid!

Archived