Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

David James just said on ITV news he applied for a Football management job last week. He’s coached a little in India and has experience playing and being managed at the very top. 
He may have sent his CV into BCFC? He wouldn’t say who it was. Also said another job came up this week(Huddersfield/Watford)?? Ex Watford player too.

Would you give him a interview if you were on the BCFC Board of directors??

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

David James just said on ITV news he applied for a Football management job last week. He’s coached a little in India and has experience playing and being managed at the very top. 
He may have sent his CV into BCFC? He wouldn’t say who it was. Also said another job came up this week(Huddersfield/Watford)?? Ex Watford player too.

He would be a long long way down a long list of potential candidates for me.

He’s a smart guy but a bit too ‘ flaky ‘ for the post . 

14 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

It's a definite no from me, however Jamie Macallister was with him during his stint as a manager in India I believe.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

He also said he understood the role he applied for has been filled to his understanding. 

12 minutes ago, daored said:

He also said he understood the role he applied for has been filled to his understanding. 

I pointed out his response on the CH thread.  It might mean we’ve appointed CH or another but not announced it yet.

He’s clearly a very intelligent guy and I am surprised he has not managed more than he has.

If I was Chairman of a league one or league two club, I’d certainly speak to him and see what he had to say.

Big ask for someone with limited experience to take charge at this level though.

• Like 3

Can see him possibly being given a chance at Huddersfield if they go down...Their board, like ours, like to control the transfers, so would be a lower pressure role for him to go for.....either that or Plymouth, should they lose Ryan Lowe............

I think DJ could become a good manager. He's vastly experienced and an intelligent guy - but he will be cutting his teeth at a lower level first. 

It surprises me, because he was never really a big fan of football, it just happened to be what he did and knew, so I'm surprised he wants to go down the managerial route. Although I suppose the mental challenge of management is very different to that of playing.

He said when he was playing that he hardly knew any of the players he was playing against. Obviously knew the superstars and house hold names but other than that he didn’t know the names of about 80% of his opponents. Probably something he’d need to start taking note of if he wants to be a manager. 

Edited by jambodinho
1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

Personally I can’t see him getting anything above league 2 or non-league at this moment in time. Think he should go down the assistant manager road for a bit.

Perhaps SL wants David James to be assistant to Stevie G?

Have a real Liverpool feel to the coaching staff

I saw him save two penalties in a match once. I can't recall ever seeing a City keeper do that!

People quickly forget that.

As for the manager jobs, I feel he perhaps needs to prove himself at a lower level in this country first. Stepping in to Watford, Huddersfield or even here would be a massive step up. We would be going backward and I don't mean that as a criticism of David James, but even LJ had managed at Oldham and Barnsley first.

A really nice bloke who's played at the top level but has he got the toughness and capacity to deal with a squad of players? Or will he flounder out of his comfort zone a bit like his ballroom dancing.