IGNORED

Second interviews

There's been a lot of movement in the odds for our new manager market this week. About 10 days ago, it was being rumoured that there had been a shortlist drawn up of Hughton, Gerrard, Lowe, Bowyer and, I think, Flynn.

I wonder if we're now at the second interview stage, where we've ruled out Bowyer & Flynn, as their names haven't appeared recently.

Could be that Hughton was seen again on Sunday night and Lowe yesterday, hence the changing of their odds (and being spotted at Membury). 

Seems to fit in terms of recruitment timing and would lead me to believe that we'd be making an appointment in the next 24-48 hours.

In response the OP, I have no idea.

But with the season ending tomorrow, decisions to be made on the futures of Korey, Maenpaa & Williams & the transfer window opening next week, I do think we need this sorted within the next week now.

Scottish football restarts on Saturday week too, so Rangers will want Gerrard to commit or go & we can then either appoint him or go to the second (or third) person on our list.

Just now, GrahamC said:

In response the OP, I have no idea.

But with the season ending tomorrow, decisions to be made on the futures of Korey, Maenpaa & Williams & the transfer window opening next week, I do think we need this sorted within the next week now.

Scottish football restarts on Saturday week too, so Rangers will want Gerrard to commit or go & we can then either appoint him or go to the second (or third) person on our list.

Decisions on those players will be made by Ashton and Co.  Williams had a meeting with Ashton last Wednesday to discuss his future.  Apparently he tried to get a managers name from Ashton but MA was tight lipped! 

If nothing has been announced by 9pm tonight, then I'd think the earliest anything would be announced would be Thursday.

Wouldn't look good if we announced Neil BEFORE Wednesday's game would it :whistle:

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Decisions on those players will be made by Ashton and Co.  Williams had a meeting with Ashton last Wednesday to discuss his future.  Apparently he tried to get a managers name from Ashton but MA was tight lipped! 

Not doubting you, but that seems very odd to me.

Say Hughton is appointed & he wanted to keep Maenpaa (with him at Brighton) but we had released him a week before?

Not the only example, some new managers might value Korey’s experience, another might prefer the space on the wage bill to bring in his replacement.

Personally I expect Maenpaa will go, (partially because we are lumbered for another year with the ludicrous Gilmartin signing) but you can make a case for releasing or keeping any of those 3 & surely the new man would want to have a say?

15 minutes ago, Taz said:

If nothing has been announced by 9pm tonight, then I'd think the earliest anything would be announced would be Thursday.

Wouldn't look good if we announced Neil BEFORE Wednesday's game would it :whistle:

A half time announcement would go down well! 

44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Personally I expect Maenpaa will go, (partially because we are lumbered for another year with the ludicrous Gilmartin signing) but you can make a case for releasing or keeping any of those 3 & surely the new man would want to have a say?

Another miss guided know it all who knows nothing! Gilmartin was brought in predominantly as a coach who would sit on the bench if circumstance made it happen. He is more than happy to concentrate on the coaching side! His signing has nothing to do with who plays and whose on the bench

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not doubting you, but that seems very odd to me.

Say Hughton is appointed & he wanted to keep Maenpaa (with him at Brighton) but we had released him a week before?

Not the only example, some new managers might value Korey’s experience, another might prefer the space on the wage bill to bring in his replacement.

You’d expect them to have outlined short/medium/long term plans in the second interview. If the Maenpaa decision was unanimous across the candidates then away he goes. 

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Another miss guided know it all who knows nothing! Gilmartin was brought in predominantly as a coach who would sit on the bench if circumstance made it happen. He is more than happy to concentrate on the coaching side! His signing has nothing to do with who plays and whose on the bench

It means that we have 5 goalkeepers & 2 goalkeeping coaches.

Who are we, Manchester United?

He has never really been needed for the bench (Jojo could have covered that) & he isn’t our goalkeeping coach, Pat Mountain is.

A total waste of money.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Initially read that as Neil aka Colin rather than A Neil!

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

There's been a lot of movement in the odds for our new manager market this week. About 10 days ago, it was being rumoured that there had been a shortlist drawn up of Hughton, Gerrard, Lowe, Bowyer and, I think, Flynn.

I wonder if we're now at the second interview stage, where we've ruled out Bowyer & Flynn, as their names haven't appeared recently.

Could be that Hughton was seen again on Sunday night and Lowe yesterday, hence the changing of their odds (and being spotted at Membury). 

Seems to fit in terms of recruitment timing and would lead me to believe that we'd be making an appointment in the next 24-48 hours.

Within 48 hours of end of tomorrow's game.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Betting is just reflective of money being placed at the moment, no indication at all

Add to the fact that it is reported that we are still days / weeks away from appointing anyone we are clearly nowhere near second interviews yet

If you read Gregor's piece yesterday it is very clear what we are doing - The club want Gerrard, but at present he is not budging (sounds like Nketiah all over again), Hughton is / was interested in the job and should walk in as second option (as long as he doesn't lose interest)

Forget any other names at the moment it is just betting / social media nonsense

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

As speculative as this sounds my boss is best friends with Michael Flynn and told me he didn’t get interviewed and the agent told Flynn that Ryan Lowe is favourite? 

I said this is unlikely but he punted a fair amount on the basis of that bit of info. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It means that we have 5 goalkeepers & 2 goalkeeping coaches.

Who are we, Manchester United?

He has never really been needed for the bench (Jojo could have covered that) & he isn’t our goalkeeping coach, Pat Mountain is.

A total waste of money.

Pat Mountain is first team goalkeeping coach.  Gilmartin I understood was working with the academy and the women.  You can pretty much guarantee he'll be the lowest paid member of the senior squad, probably including first year pros.  

Without knowing for sure how much he's on you can't say he's a waste of money.  It could be a rather cheap coach/emergency backup.

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Pat Mountain is first team goalkeeping coach.  Gilmartin I understood was working with the academy and the women.  You can pretty much guarantee he'll be the lowest paid member of the senior squad, probably including first year pros.  

Without knowing for sure how much he's on you can't say he's a waste of money.  It could be a rather cheap coach/emergency backup.

Fair enough.

Based on being a squad player in L2 he certainly should be the lowest paid.

There is an advert out at present for a goalkeeping coach for the women’s team, couldn’t he fill that role, then?

55 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

All of that is true....

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough.

Based on being a squad player in L2 he certainly should be the lowest paid.

There is an advert out at present for a goalkeeping coach for the women’s team, couldn’t he fill that role, then?

....which is why I was surprised about the advert.

Unless he’s moving on this summer.

I had a really good chat with him at Xmas at Charlton Farm (really nice guy). I think he was resigning himself to having to give up the playing side to progress the coaching side.  Also involved with Ireland age group coaching set up.

Archived