IGNORED

Job description

Bat Fastard

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

They did but they signed Mbuemo the same day, probably requirement of the deal and knew they could move Watkins centrally. Imagine if we told Brighton 'sorry deal only happening if we get another CB' with that much money on the line at that time in the window.

Perhaps we should’ve insisted on Ben White!!  In fairness that was sorted earlier that summer....but no reason we couldn’t force them to take Matt Clarke and usurp Derby!

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps we should’ve insisted on Ben White!!  In fairness that was sorted earlier that summer....but no reason we couldn’t force them to take Matt Clarke and usurp Derby!

White was done July 1st, could have insisted on Clarke though he didn't move until like Aug 5th

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I know what you mean but in my 50 odd years of watching City I have seen many managers come and go and know that change does not always bring the required improvement.  Heaven knows where we will end up.

I know where we would end up if LJ had remained in charge. 

It's named League One these days. The miserable home form would have guaranteed that.

16 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I too would like to understand the difference between the 'Head Coach' role at Ashton Gate, compared to, say, the 'Manager' role at Rangers (with the talks of Gerrard in mind). Particularly the influence that the Head Coach has over the purchase and sale of players. 

I'm not trying to go over old ground with another LJ debate, but if the Head Coach role at Bristol City is significantly different to the Manager role at, say, Brentford or Leeds (examples given above) then Lee would (MAYBE) not have been able to purchase his first choice of players, but would have had to work with whoever was provided (or taken away) by Mark Ashton and his team. I can't see this being the case for Bailsa at Leeds or Frank at Brentford (although I accept that I might be wrong)

If (and I mean a big IF), this turns out to have some glimmer of truth in it, then that would explain why so-called 'big name' managers don't seem to want to come to us, leaving us trying to choose from lesser experienced managers from the lower leagues who would put up with working within the rules in order to cut their teeth at a higher level. Lee Johnson was one such example.

I can't argue with the great work that Ashton is doing regards to balancing the books - here are the figures if anyone fancies a look https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/alletransfers/verein/698 

However, making a nice tidy profit in the transfer market keeps the bank balance healthy, the Administrators and FFP at bay, but it doesn't necessarily provide the manager with the players he would prefer to work with.

I think it was right that LJ left and I'm not making excuses for him; he knew what the role entailed and chose to accept it, but I'm not confident that his successor will fare much better unless he has more control over ins/outs.

I notice that over the period of LJ’s stewardship we didn’t in fact sell that many players but we did sell our stars like Webster, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan who would have been played if they stayed and quite a few like Kelly, Pack, Tomlin who were not regular first team starters or showing diminishing performances. 

LJ did a good job up until the last one and a half seasons but the churn of players is normal at every club , what is not so normal is that all the funds generated were ploughed back into the playing squad, just ask Preston fans ! 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I notice that over the period of LJ’s stewardship we didn’t in fact sell that many players but we did sell our stars like Webster, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan who would have been played if they stayed and quite a few like Kelly, Pack, Tomlin who were not regular first team starters or showing diminishing performances. 

LJ did a good job up until the last one and a half seasons but the churn of players is normal at every club , what is not so normal is that all the funds generated were ploughed back into the playing squad, just ask Preston fans ! 

A churn to some extent is normal but not to the levels we saw under LJ. 

Look at Leeds. 

Ayling, Cooper, Berardi, Alioski, Phillips, Dallas, Klich, Forshaw, Hernandez, Roberts. 

Midtable mediocrity two seasons ago and ended the season on a poor run. All in the promotion squad. 

Add to the above, Peacock-Farrell, Jansson, Saiz, Roofe. All played two seasons ago to varying levels, in a rise from 13th to 3rd last season. 

Our levels of churn have been ridiculous and excessive.

Archived