IGNORED

Vote for none of the above?

brady bunch

To quote the film Brewster's Millions, is there anyone else who like me are not that inspired by any of the current crop of talked about / betted on possible managers?

SG has little experience and none in the championship, Hughton feels like yesterdays news... I could go on. 

I would have no issues if they had another list of great coaches (possibly overseas) that none of us were talking about, who had heard of David Wagner before Danial Farke, but both are top notch championship managers

35 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

To quote the film Brewster's Millions, is there anyone else who like me are not that inspired by any of the current crop of talked about / betted on possible managers?

SG has little experience and none in the championship, Hughton feels like yesterdays news... I could go on. 

I would have no issues if they had another list of great coaches (possibly overseas) that none of us were talking about, who had heard of David Wagner before Danial Farke, but both are top notch championship managers

To quote “Lansdown’s Billions” ... ‘Mark, just get me a guy who can win promotion, ever since the Coppell debacle I’ve been very nervous about going for a proven, successful guy at this level, please put my mind at rest and get the right one...cheers” 

53 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I'm with you.

I would have liked Chris Hughton or a manager with experience/success at this level as we've never had one of those (you can't count the failed Coppell experiemnt) and outside of that i have no real preference.

Steven Gerrard is just a name at present and whilst i wish him nothing but decades of Ferguson esque success, it doesn't excite me at present. The same with Robins, Lowe, the Cowleys etc. 

Same thing, different day.

Out of the current bunch I’d choose Hughton - simply given his experience in getting 2 teams promoted to the Prem. 
However, I’d love it if someone like Jurgen Klinsmann was interested. He left Hertha Berlin earlier this year, so should be available. If Klinsmann came then I’d be really really excited!!!!!

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Out of the current bunch I’d choose Hughton - simply given his experience in getting 2 teams promoted to the Prem. 
However, I’d love it if someone like Jurgen Klinsmann was interested. He left Hertha Berlin earlier this year, so should be available. If Klinsmann came then I’d be really really excited!!!!!

Known for his humanitarian work isn’t he? Maybe he would see us a list cause that he could rescue from years in the wilderness? :)

24 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Trollope !!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Who would your choice be, out of interest?

A good question, that I don't really have an answer for...

I see why we could need a "name" to tempt those players like Tammy away from the clubs in the smoke. David Moyes (but he is in the Chris Hughton category and some for me). Hopefully MA and SL have put more thought into it then me....

I do think - across football in general, not just with us - there is a massive challenge with expectation management amongst fans.

What Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Chris Wilder, Thomas Frank, David Wagner, Daniel Farke and many of the managers whose success we admire elsewhere have in common is they weren't appointments that set the pulses racing at the club where they found success. 

Being a big or exciting name isn't a guarantee of success and every manager who is looking for a job in the Championship at the moment is doing so because either:

1) The Championship is their level and it is one they will never progress beyond

2) Their last job at a higher level did not work out and nobody is quite sure if they were unlucky or are passed their best.

3) They've never been given a job at this level before and it hasn't yet been tested if they can succeed.

Personally I favour the third category - simply because there is a possibility that Ryan Lowe or Steven Gerrard or Paul Cook or whoever it is could become another Dyche, Wilder or Frank whilst we know the managers in category 1) or 2) will hit a ceiling sooner or later. But I understand that means being underwhelmed by the appointment itself.

But, either way, the reality is no manager is ever going to be guaranteed to succeed at a club and the ones that come closest are being linked with much more glamorous clubs than ours.

For me personally, I couldn't give a damn about how inspiring or exciting a manager when they are announced and do their first press conference. I want someone who has got me buzzing about the club by this time next year. And only time will tell whether the new manager does that whoever it is. 

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do think - across football in general, not just with us - there is a massive challenge with expectation management amongst fans.

What Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Chris Wilder, Thomas Frank, David Wagner, Daniel Farke and many of the managers whose success we admire elsewhere have in common is they weren't appointments that set the pulses racing at the club where they found success. 

Being a big or exciting name isn't a guarantee of success and every manager who is looking for a job in the Championship at the moment is doing so because either:

1) The Championship is their level and it is one they will never progress beyond

2) Their last job at a higher level did not work out and nobody is quite sure if they were unlucky or are passed their best.

3) They've never been given a job at this level before and it hasn't yet been tested if they can succeed.

Personally I favour the third category - simply because there is a possibility that Ryan Lowe or Steven Gerrard or Paul Cook or whoever it is could become another Dyche, Wilder or Frank whilst we know the managers in category 1) or 2) will hit a ceiling sooner or later. But I understand that means being underwhelmed by the appointment itself.

But, either way, the reality is no manager is ever going to be guaranteed to succeed at a club and the ones that come closest are being linked with much more glamorous clubs than ours.

For me personally, I couldn't give a damn about how inspiring or exciting a manager when they are announced and do their first press conference. I want someone who has got me buzzing about the club by this time next year. And only time will tell whether the new manager does that whoever it is. 

Way too much sense for this forum. Agree with every word

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I favour the third category - simply because there is a possibility that Ryan Lowe or Steven Gerrard or Paul Cook or whoever it is could become another Dyche, Wilder or Frank whilst we know the managers in category 1) or 2) will hit a ceiling sooner or later. But I understand that means being underwhelmed by the appointment itself...

Great post London ... although it should be pointed out that Paul Cook is a current Championship Manager so he’s obviously in ‘a job at this level’ ...

6 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

We've got more chance of getting Herr Flick than Herr Klinsmann

6 hours ago, brady bunch said:

A good question, that I don't really have an answer for...

I see why we could need a "name" to tempt those players like Tammy away from the clubs in the smoke. David Moyes (but he is in the Chris Hughton category and some for me). Hopefully MA and SL have put more thought into it then me....

So you have no preference yet see fit to critise the shortlist compiled by those who are looking into it..? 

Great! Thanks for your input...! ?‍♂️

6 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Klinsmann, above other names in the hat, based on.....? 

'Vote for none of the above'

The disease of the modern society i.e. criticise, moan, whinge but not putting anything credible forward to replace what's in place. Generally called a cop out.

Personally, don't get this SG talk because it seems to be vote for the celeb. I just hate celeb culture because it seems to be about nothing more than the shiny wrapping paper.

I like the sound of Houghton because he seems to have worked his way up through the ranks and looks to have a lot of potential, but I just think the board have their eye on someone else. If that's the case, I just hope it's not another L1/2 manager because it just hasn't worked over the past few years and seems to tend towards the definition of stupidity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I really hope it's at least a minimum of a Championship level manager and if we could pull the rabbit out of the hat in the same way that Leeds did, it would give us the lift we all probably need right now.

14 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

'Vote for none of the above'

The disease of the modern society i.e. criticise, moan, whinge but not putting anything credible forward to replace what's in place. Generally called a cop out.

Personally, don't get this SG talk because it seems to be vote for the celeb. I just hate celeb culture because it seems to be about nothing more than the shiny wrapping paper.

I like the sound of Houghton because he seems to have worked his way up through the ranks and looks to have a lot of potential, but I just think the board have their eye on someone else. If that's the case, I just hope it's not another L1/2 manager because it just hasn't worked over the past few years and seems to tend towards the definition of stupidity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I really hope it's at least a minimum of a Championship level manager and if we could pull the rabbit out of the hat in the same way that Leeds did, it would give us the lift we all probably need right now.

Moreso, it's Not a democratic process. 

What some bloke on the forum thinks, will have little bearing on who we appoint. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Moreso, it's Not a democratic process. 

What some bloke on the forum thinks, will have little bearing on who we appoint. 

You mean OTIB has no sway on the BCFC board?

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Klinsmann, above other names in the hat, based on.....? 

An internationally respected football professional who has had success and won stuff at the highest level. His style of football is attractive and he'd generate us the same press interest that Gerrard would - possibly more, both here and abroad - with some respect and influence at Tottenham, in Germany and elsewhere to get us some decent signings, both players and coaching/scouting staff. Mrs R&W also finds him physically attractive......

Disclaimer:
There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that Jurgen Klinsmann is interested in the Bristol City Head Coach role. I just suggested him as someone I'd like to see, having admired him as a player for Tottenham (despite his diving antics) and as a manager both at club and international level since.

31 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

An internationally respected football professional who has had success and won stuff at the highest level. His style of football is attractive and he'd generate us the same press interest that Gerrard would - possibly more, both here and abroad - with some respect and influence at Tottenham, in Germany and elsewhere to get us some decent signings, both players and coaching/scouting staff. Mrs R&W also finds him physically attractive......

Disclaimer:
There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that Jurgen Klinsmann is interested in the Bristol City Head Coach role. I just suggested him as someone I'd like to see, having admired him as a player for Tottenham (despite his diving antics) and as a manager both at club and international level since.

No Championship experience though. 

26 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

True - but only Hughton and McCarthy have from the current bunch - and it looks like McCarthy has faded from the running, so that leaves only Hughton - who I said I'd pick from that restricted list ?

Absolutely as first choice, or Pearson. 

Others with experience would Neil & Cooke. 

To a lesser degree, Cowley. 

Archived