IGNORED

Griffin Park

Roadrunner

Tonight could well be Brentford's last ever game at Griffin Park. Been there many times with the City, last time  a few months ago when some how we got a 1-1. Always a good atmosphere into and outside ground, a pub on each corner helps. Looking forward to a visit to the new ground.

Went for a midweek game in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Raining hard and from the outside it looked like the away terrace had no roof. As I was in a work suit, I went in the home terrace, then realised that there was a bit of roof for away fans. Got a police officer to walk me round the side of the pitch. As I approached the away ‘end’, flanked by 2 coppers, the nutters started applauding.

I think it was also Brentford in the 90’s when Tony Robinson was dragged out the crowd to do the half time lottery draw. City were 1-0 up and when Baldrick drew a 10, he shouted ‘And the next ball is the score, one nil’. We all went bonkers as the compère tried to regain control. 
Very happy memories of Brentford.

22 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Fingers crossed the pubs around Griffin Park will still be used by home and away fans, be awful to see any of them go with it.

Tis only a short distance away from the new ground but also there area is heavily residential so hopefully that will keep them in business.

Certainly one of my favorite away days, nice easy journey, decent pubs on each corner.  Boxing Day when Lita came off the bench and got two, giving the bloke behind the terrace stick, the 4-1 victory in our promotion season under ward.. and the limbs when Barnard equalised in the PO Semi.  

Really sad that for their fans they've been to their final ever game at Griffin Park and didn't even realise it at the time.

Hopefully the demolition is delayed so they can play a friendly or something to say farewell.

Love Griffin Park, I think the new ground will take some getting used to. The pictures I've seen just don't look right, it looks like it was built by a 9 year old who had run out if Lego. 

Of course I'll love it once we've had a good away win there

My 1st ever away game was at Griffin Park. They were managed by Frank McLintock & we won 2-1. 1st away game was meant to be Plymouth, but it got rained off late in the day.  Went to the rearranged match, they needed to win to get promoted & stuffed us 4 nil. As an innocent young lad I thought we had taken an amazing following, but when the 1st goal went in it became apparent there were loads of home fans in the away end!!

33 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Love Griffin Park, I think the new ground will take some getting used to. The pictures I've seen just don't look right, it looks like it was built by a 9 year old who had run out if Lego. 

Of course I'll love it once we've had a good away win there

Be interesting to see how Brentford adapt to. Grounds like Griffin Park are a real leveller at times. The home fans right on top of you, proper old school ground 

Some times when they move to a new, standard, flat pack stadium...teams just don’t seem to have that edge any more 

• Admin

Griffin Park whilst being old school really needed updating, I guess the shame was that it could not be done on the current site

But don't be surprised to see them have a play off game there this weekend

The new ground looks horrendous and to think we were worried the Atyeo made our ground look mishaped !

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I reckon I’ve been to Griffin Pk more times than any other away ground, so may in fact that I’ve lost count.
Second would be  the County Ground......:shocking:  followed by Ninian Pk. 

Same here, well almost as sadly I never had the Ninian Experience for one reason or another. One of life’s regrets that. Loved a Brentford away day though.

And yes promotion would be a great end to Griffin Park, but sadly that might lower our chances of visiting their new ground next season ( Covid allowing of course, which seems very doubtful). 

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Same here, well almost as sadly I never had the Ninian Experience for one reason or another. One of life’s regrets that. Loved a Brentford away day though.

And yes promotion would be a great end to Griffin Park, but sadly that might lower our chances of visiting their new ground next season ( Covid allowing of course, which seems very doubtful). 

Like most grounds, it's great when you win (they'd still lob things at you) Brentford like Notts C had decent pubs outside... 

Leeds and Liverpool are trying to dissaude their fans from celebrating outside, no chance... 

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Tonight could well be Brentford's last ever game at Griffin Park. Been there many times with the City, last time  a few months ago when some how we got a 1-1. Always a good atmosphere into and outside ground, a pub on each corner helps. Looking forward to a visit to the new ground.

There's not been (open) pubs on each corner for years. 

Got some good memories of games and days out there, bit no doubt that it's not fit for purpose and they desperately need the new ground to progress as a club. 

I’ve been there a few times. First visit was when we beat them in the Ward promotion season. I haven’t seen us win there since! Great away trip, though, I’m going to miss it. One of the few grounds apart from AG where I’ve stood in different ends. 

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ninian Pk was an amazing day out. It had to be the most hostile and aggressive ground I ever went to. No love lost of course between them and us and that intense rivalry heightened the volatile atmosphere incredibly.

The day Scott Murray ran the length of NP towards us fans with his hand cupped to ear will stay with me for ever and why it’s my favourite iconic City picture of them all.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Griffin Park whilst being old school really needed updating, I guess the shame was that it could not be done on the current site

But don't be surprised to see them have a play off game there this weekend

The new ground looks horrendous and to think we were worried the Atyeo made our ground look mishaped !

Good luck to Brentford.

New ground doesn’t really look Premier League standard, though.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

New grounds are souless and dull usually. Preferiit if they kept griffin park

Archived