IGNORED

Griffin Park

Roadrunner

10 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

New grounds are souless and dull usually. Preferiit if they kept griffin park

It’s become very run down and as good as the character is it needed upgrading, hopefully for them to welcome in Premier League football

I used to live not too far from Brentford so was always a dead cert away day for me. The stadium announcer was always on pitch with a microphone and clearly loved the Bees. Classic pub quiz question was which club has a pub on each corner of the ground. The other fascinating fact was that they had the largest advertising hoarding in the UK - KLM on the roof of one of the stands - as the ground is near Heathrow. Quite fond of them tbh. 

I'm just going to copy my thread starter the day after our last trip to Griffin Park in October, titled:

Brentford - Ground, Pubs, Stewards and Fans.

All top notch again last night in my experience.

Chatty, friendly bar staff and Brentford fans in the pub.

Smiley, friendly, helpful stewards outside and inside Griffin Park - the all to often miserable looking stewards who survey us grimly and suspiciously at AG could learn a thing or two.

Griffin Park - what a great ground, an absolute pleasure to visit so often over the decades, a traditional away day experience second to none imo. that will be hugely missed.

Good luck to Brentford FC in their new ground - looking forward to visiting when the time comes and hopefully they can retain that friendly and welcoming feel as well as at least some of the traditional atmosphere of Griffin Park. Also hoping it is close enough to use the same fantastic pubs and that none of these historic alehouses are in any way threatened by the move.

P.S. The lights being switched off in the stands last night when the game was on made a hugely positive difference to the atmosphere - powers that be at AG take note. The policy of leaving them on has completely destroyed the 'special atmosphere of AG under the lights' the club constantly goes on about as far as I'm concerned.

49 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Ah the Ninian Park experience, dodging coal, coins and bottles of piss after the match while held in on the terrace.

I had that experience elsewhere, well maybe not the Full Ninian, but never at Cardiff ?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Red7 said:

My favourite ground bar none. Fantastic away day.

it's interesting that so many people agree with this. 

The ground itself is awful, the facilities to buy anything or have a pee are horrendous. 

Yet so many of us like the place 

I put it down to two main reasons. The first we often get a favourable result there and secondly (I got feedback from Brentford about this) that from the guy serving in the pub, to the programme seller to the police, to the stewards etc they are all so welcoming and make you feel appreciated. That in itself is a novelty nowadays 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The ground itself is awful, the facilities to buy anything or have a pee are horrendous. 

I put it down to two main reasons. The first we often get a favourable result there and secondly (I got feedback from Brentford about this) that from the guy serving in the pub, to the programme seller to the police, to the stewards etc they are all so welcoming and make you feel appreciated. That in itself is a novelty nowadays 

Part of the away end being a terrace is quite desirable too!

8 hours ago, phantom said:

The welcoming atmosphere does it for me.
And, to be fair, you can get everything you need to buy (drink, food) in one of the pubs by the ground.
By the time I get into the ground after a few pints, I'm not too fussed about the state of the bogs...

Archived