IGNORED

Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day 46

Septic Peg

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

The way you talk about Johnson lacks a bit of class and decorum in my opinion. I respect you as a regular poster, but your posts about Johnson over several months read more like a personal grudge rather than a balanced opinion on a manager.

I know it’s just a forum and we’re all prone to a bit of hyperbole, but that’s my feedback which you’re welcome to totally ignore ?

Ha. No issues mate. 

I can possibly only explain it like this. Imagine you were a massive Steve Cotterill fan. You watched him give us the best season you’d ever seen. And then you watched how he was not backed and subsequently dismissed. 

Then you watch another chap come in and the rule book Cotts had to play by is completely torn up and thrown out the window. Meanwhile the new chap continues in his job despite having several times deserved the sack while in each and every week the football gets worse and the bollocks spouted in post match interviews gets worse. Ultimately it leaves you sat watching a game against Preston where you’re not sure if you’re not sure if you’re not interested because it’s an end of season dead rubber or because you just don’t care that much anymore. 

on the plus side... Forest!!!! ???

Phew, what a last day;

Wigan down due to -12 points

Forest choked 1-4 to Stoke and missed the playoffs

Brentford choked the last two games and missed auto promotion and go into the playoffs in shite form

Barnsley scrapped their way to safety thanks to WIgans points deduction

Luton were nailed on pre-lockdown but rallied and are safe

70 points for 6th - what an opportunity missed by us..

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Phew, what a last day;

Wigan down due to -12 points

Forest choked 1-4 to Stoke and missed the playoffs

Brentford choked the last two games and missed auto promotion and go into the playoffs in shite form

Barnsley scrapped their way to safety thanks to WIgans points deduction

Luton were nailed on pre-lockdown but rallied and are safe

70 points for 6th - what an opportunity missed by us..

Not to mention poor old Charlton who have only been in the bottom 3 twice all season.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

I can possibly only explain it like this. Imagine you were a massive Steve Cotterill fan. You watched him give us the best season you’d ever seen. And then you watched how he was not backed and subsequently dismissed. 

Then you watch another chap come in and the rule book Cotts had to play by is completely torn up and thrown out the window. Meanwhile the new chap continues in his job despite having several times deserved the sack while in each and every week the football gets worse and the bollocks spouted in post match interviews gets worse. Ultimately it leaves you sat watching a game against Preston where you’re not sure if you’re not sure if you’re not interested because it’s an end of season dead rubber or because you just don’t care that much anymore. 

Superb summary Fordy - if we’d given Cotts the same backing as LJ we would have done loads better I believe  - I don’t think Cotts is a ‘championship’ manager but at least he’d have had a chance if he’d been given the massive transfer budget that LJ enjoyed without delivering anything ....

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

Yep I totally get it - I know you were a huge fan of Cotterill so I understand how it must feel to see Johnson have considerably more leniency.

I think ultimately Lansdown has some responsibility there for giving Johnson so much time/funding simply because he was ‘his’ man.

I’d have been really interested to see what a promoted Cotterill side would’ve managed with Maguire/Gayle/Gray. Sadly we’ll never find out. 

Unbelievable final day!  :w00t:

What a bad end to Wigan's survival battle: I'm a bit sad for them.

Shame for Brentford too: they would have been an interesting entry for the PL, but after this blow, their success in the playoff is not guaranteed at all.  Forest's fail was even greater, and in some ways, unlucky...but in the Championship you can never relax.

Not sad at all for Hull. :dance:

Ah, we played too, right? ?  Well...not a great end of season, but at least we didn't lose against Voodoo PNE.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

- I don’t think Cotts is a ‘championship’ manager but at least he’d have had a chance if he’d been given the massive transfer budget that LJ enjoyed without delivering anything

But what Cotts had was momentum and a squad that would have walked through plate glass windows for him. 

Sadly all that was gone within 12 to 18 months. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Needed something to brighten up the end of the season and fair play to Forest, they've come up with a belter.

That's a spectacular bottle job.

Can we retrospectively vote this as the champagne moment of the season?

2 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

But what Cotts had was momentum and a squad that would have walked through plate glass windows for him. 

Sadly all that was gone within 12 to 18 months. 

We were beating Man Utd 18 months or so later and were 2nd in the league?

45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

What a load of bollocks. We were two points from safety with 20 games to play. I love how everyone makes out we were 20 points adrift at the bottom of the league. Things changed when Johnson came in because he was allowed to sign players. The very same players Cotts has been after and wasn’t allowed. 

Who said anything about being 20 points adrift. We weren't but it wasn't looking good, performances had seriously been on the downward slope. But that's not the point. The point I was originally replying to was that nothing had moved on since LJ came to the club which is not borne out by our league positions over consecutive seasons. Accordingly what was originally said was, as you so succinctly put it' a load of bollocks'. 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

Perfectly summed up my feelings on the LJ issue at the time.

Don’t think we’re alone.

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

I get that about SC - he gave us a season we'll never forget.

But what I don't get is why hold Johnson responsible for SL's change of strategy (if that's what it was). It's almost like nothing LJ could have done would have been right simply because he replaced Cotterill. That's not his fault. And what's he supposed to do - say no to the opportunity to bring in new players?

And I think also that Cotterill contributed in part to his own downfall because he wouldn't let players go - and that was in conflict with SL's stated strategy. One of our former players hinted at that on OSIB recently - and I think there's probably something in that. LJ was vocal from the start about the fact that he recognised the need to sell to buy - and there's no disputing that he did that. Cotterill never bought into that, which was always going to be a problem when we arrived in the Championship with the sort of money needed to bring players in there.

No argument about Forest though :) 

A shambles of a Season.

Thank God it’s over.

Now. Get someone in who knows what he doing FFS. 

Get a core squad of 20, with some physicality, leadership and fight. Develop an identity, shape and a decent ******* midfield.  Clear out the dead wood. 

Review the Strategy and establish why it’s failed so badly to deliver. 

Start tomorrow.

There ain’t much time for navel gazing and inaction. If we do, there’s a real risk we will be looking more relegation candidates than promotion. 

Go!!!!

Archived