Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol City v Preston North End Match Day 46

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

- I don’t think Cotts is a ‘championship’ manager but at least he’d have had a chance if he’d been given the massive transfer budget that LJ enjoyed without delivering anything

But what Cotts had was momentum and a squad that would have walked through plate glass windows for him. 

Sadly all that was gone within 12 to 18 months. 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Needed something to brighten up the end of the season and fair play to Forest, they've come up with a belter.

That's a spectacular bottle job.

Can we retrospectively vote this as the champagne moment of the season?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

But what Cotts had was momentum and a squad that would have walked through plate glass windows for him. 

Sadly all that was gone within 12 to 18 months. 

We were beating Man Utd 18 months or so later and were 2nd in the league?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

What a load of bollocks. We were two points from safety with 20 games to play. I love how everyone makes out we were 20 points adrift at the bottom of the league. Things changed when Johnson came in because he was allowed to sign players. The very same players Cotts has been after and wasn’t allowed. 

Who said anything about being 20 points adrift. We weren't but it wasn't looking good, performances had seriously been on the downward slope. But that's not the point. The point I was originally replying to was that nothing had moved on since LJ came to the club which is not borne out by our league positions over consecutive seasons. Accordingly what was originally said was, as you so succinctly put it' a load of bollocks'. 

14 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

I can possibly only explain it like this. Imagine you were a massive Steve Cotterill fan. You watched him give us the best season you’d ever seen. And then you watched how he was not backed and subsequently dismissed. 

Then you watch another chap come in and the rule book Cotts had to play by is completely torn up and thrown out the window. Meanwhile the new chap continues in his job despite having several times deserved the sack while in each and every week the football gets worse and the bollocks spouted in post match interviews gets worse. Ultimately it leaves you sat watching a game against Preston where you’re not sure if you’re not sure if you’re not interested because it’s an end of season dead rubber or because you just don’t care that much anymore. 

on the plus side... Forest!!!! 😂😂😂

Perfectly summed up my feelings on the LJ issue at the time.

Don’t think we’re alone.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Ha. No issues mate. 

I can possibly only explain it like this. Imagine you were a massive Steve Cotterill fan. You watched him give us the best season you’d ever seen. And then you watched how he was not backed and subsequently dismissed. 

Then you watch another chap come in and the rule book Cotts had to play by is completely torn up and thrown out the window. Meanwhile the new chap continues in his job despite having several times deserved the sack while in each and every week the football gets worse and the bollocks spouted in post match interviews gets worse. Ultimately it leaves you sat watching a game against Preston where you’re not sure if you’re not sure if you’re not interested because it’s an end of season dead rubber or because you just don’t care that much anymore. 

on the plus side... Forest!!!! 😂😂😂

I get that about SC - he gave us a season we'll never forget.

But what I don't get is why hold Johnson responsible for SL's change of strategy (if that's what it was). It's almost like nothing LJ could have done would have been right simply because he replaced Cotterill. That's not his fault. And what's he supposed to do - say no to the opportunity to bring in new players?

And I think also that Cotterill contributed in part to his own downfall because he wouldn't let players go - and that was in conflict with SL's stated strategy. One of our former players hinted at that on OSIB recently - and I think there's probably something in that. LJ was vocal from the start about the fact that he recognised the need to sell to buy - and there's no disputing that he did that. Cotterill never bought into that, which was always going to be a problem when we arrived in the Championship with the sort of money needed to bring players in there.

No argument about Forest though :) 

• Like 5

Makes you wonder about the lower leagues where they stopped and used PPG.  In our league Forest and Preston would have been in the playoffs if we had used PPG, while Luton and Barnsley would have gone down.

A shambles of a Season.

Thank God it’s over.

Now. Get someone in who knows what he doing FFS. 

Get a core squad of 20, with some physicality, leadership and fight. Develop an identity, shape and a decent ******* midfield.  Clear out the dead wood. 

Review the Strategy and establish why it’s failed so badly to deliver. 

Start tomorrow.

There ain’t much time for navel gazing and inaction. If we do, there’s a real risk we will be looking more relegation candidates than promotion. 

Go!!!!

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Funny Sky trying to get excited about Liverpool v Chelsea when no-one gives a ****

Great game though

33 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Who said anything about being 20 points adrift. We weren't but it wasn't looking good, performances had seriously been on the downward slope. But that's not the point. The point I was originally replying to was that nothing had moved on since LJ came to the club which is not borne out by our league positions over consecutive seasons. Accordingly what was originally said was, as you so succinctly put it' a load of bollocks'. 

Do you think the team is a better team now then when Johnson took over. We seemed to have been through so many players and systems but lost any grit and determination and I can't see how the team is that much better. 

25 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Do you think the team is a better team now then when Johnson took over. We seemed to have been through so many players and systems but lost any grit and determination and I can't see how the team is that much better. 

We have a better squad with, overall, better payers.

Unfortunately LJ demonstrated in the last 12 months his ability to turn 11 good  players into an average to poor team.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think we have some better players but I accept that people will have differing opinions as to whether we've got the best out of them. As far as grit and determination is concerned I think the business with Ayling could have been handled better and letting him go was a mistake but he still may not have become the player he is now at Leeds where he's had to buckle down under a more disciplined regime. Flint and Bailey Wright would put their bodies on the line but so will Baker while first Webster, and then Kalas are better players. Dasilva has more grit than Bryan. The biggest losses for me have been Kodja, Pack, Webster and Brownhill but Kodja wanted out, we weren't prepared to match the package that Cardiff were prepared to give Marlon and we weren't going to stand in the way of either Adam or Josh departing for the Prem. With the possible exception of Marlon we got good deals for the rest. We need to move some players on, and make a couple of additions but we have a decent squad. Let's just hope the new head coach, whoever he is can use them better. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Superb summary Fordy - if we’d given Cotts the same backing as LJ we would have done loads better I believe  - I don’t think Cotts is a ‘championship’ manager but at least he’d have had a chance if he’d been given the massive transfer budget that LJ enjoyed without delivering anything ....

@Fordy62

To you both.

The rather simple analysis overlooks a few factors. 

1) What was our turnover in 2015/16? Apples and pears! 

2) Are you aware of that season being the final one year analysis of FFP at £13m? Overspend and stay down and we get an embargo.

Cotts would've loved that! :whistle2:

3) Remember the Kodjia sale. How would Cotts have accepted the necessity to trade..?

To both buy and simply to offset losses and stay within FFP, trading is an integral part of our strategy. 

Await your alternative calculations. Only if we'd gone straight up or in two years at most might it have been issue free.

Hell, even the latter may have seen a January 2017 embargo imposed which would've seen us unable to strengthen at a crucial time or even a fail in March 2017 if projected accounts saw us over and points docked. 

I await some alternative calculations.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Disappointing to see the winning run at Ashton Gate come to an end, especially with a silly error costing us, but it was a good game and thought we played well.

I'm sure if you make the right appointment they'll be able to get more out of your squad and push you into contention.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RedRock said:

A shambles of a Season.

Thank God it’s over.

Now. Get someone in who knows what he doing FFS. 

Get a core squad of 20, with some physicality, leadership and fight. Develop an identity, shape and a decent ******* midfield.  Clear out the dead wood. 

Review the Strategy and establish why it’s failed so badly to deliver. 

Start tomorrow.

There ain’t much time for navel gazing and inaction. If we do, there’s a real risk we will be looking more relegation candidates than promotion. 

Go!!!!

Spot on.

14 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Disappointing to see the winning run at Ashton Gate come to an end, especially with a silly error costing us, but it was a good game and thought we played well.

I'm sure if you make the right appointment they'll be able to get more out of your squad and push you into contention.

I am quietly celebrating the fact that, following 6 consecutive seasons of never achieving more than 1 point against you, we have remained unbeaten and taken 2 points off you this season! Ok, we haven't beaten Preston in the last 7 seasons, but we are now unbeaten in 3.  Even our other main bogey team, Leeds, we managed to beat 1-0 at home a few seasons ago.  All the best for next season, you never know we might sneak a win🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1