IGNORED

Is anybody else going to set it on tonight's performance Wells is ............

southvillekiddy

1 hour ago, RobArnold10 said:

Jesus wept, guy bags 20 goals in a season and one off game he isn’t possibly the answer. He had the highest conversion rate going into this game...

It hasn’t been one-off though, has it?  He was awful tonight, but he’s been underwhelming in most games.  He’s 30, don’t forget, so unlikely to improve. Let’s hope we can get a system which suits him because it sure as hell isn’t working at the moment.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It hasn’t been one-off though, has it?  He was awful tonight, but he’s been underwhelming in most games.  He’s 30, don’t forget, so unlikely to improve. Let’s hope we can get a system which suits him because it sure as hell isn’t working at the moment.

Still has one of the top conversion rates...still scores 20 goals. They can come off his arse for all I care as long as he gets them.

Lets be honest as well if he was better than that he’d be a prem  regular. We need to wind our expectations in sometimes.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

20 goals this season is a good effort. Unfortunately since he has come here we have been shit . Fresh start next season with a new manager hopefully he clicks .

Spot on! He's not been great but QPR had something called a Midfield.

But it's the Bristol City way. How many players over the years 'including players of the year prior to coming to us' hit the Ashton turf running like Superman with Kryptonite boot's on.

IMO we will never ever get it right. We will never get a BEILSA Manager and we will never get a squad like Leeds.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who says he can’t improve just because he’s 30? 
Who’d have thought Glen Murray would score 23 goals to take Brighton to the Prem, when he was 33 and had only scored 19 in the previous 3 years! 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He makes proactive runs. Need a manager to find a system that takes that into account. Weimann suffers from same problem.

As a result Wells had been disappointing and looks like he has no confidence. 

Don’t you ever sleep 

2 hours ago, Galway Red said:

At QPR he had a couple of great young wingers who were constantly feeding him with guilt edged chances, he won't get that here

And a little lad called Eze. What I’d give for a player like him. 14 goals and 8 assists from midfield, that’s the dream right there. 

Is it just me that wouldn't be too upset if we sold him onto QPR if they sell Eze, and broke even?

The problem I see is that with the way we play, we've always had a big old unit up top outside of the Reid era, or someone with decent link up play, be it Adebola, Stead, Wilbs, Kodjia, Abraham, Diedhiou, as it gives us a breakout option. Otherwise its been an absolute engine who is a solid finisher i.e. Reid and Baldock. We've also always had solid fullback/wing play to some extent, I.e. Adomah, Bryan, Ayling.

It gives us the option to mix it up, press, over top, or into feet. These are club characteristics over the last 20 years, they're fairly consistent. I would never say we've been a possession heavy team, as the only player we've hd to make such systems viable were single season wonders in the form of Hartley and Webster.

The issue here is that Wells needs a big unit up top to do the bulk work to make the system viable and retain possession inthe final third.

Hanson at Bradford, Hugill at QPR, case studies in particular.

The only team Wells has played at lone as a striker was Huddersfield. They near replaced him with Kachunga the season they went up (another player who is a bit of an engine).

His best scoring seasons, Huddersfield struggled. It wouldn't surprise me if Wells' link up play was part of that problem.

Otherwise why partly replace or rotate your top scorer?

I'd be interested in a Hudderfield Town fan's view of Nakhi in that regard for that period from them.

Not doubting Nakhi's goalscoring credentials, I just wonder on the inpact attempting to integrate him into any system may have ala JET or Tomlin, namely at Championship level. I feel more and more each season its more about the team than individuals. Leeds being a case in point with Bamford as their top scorer on just 16 and WBA not even having a player on the scoring charts.

12 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He's scored 5 for us in the few games he's played while still learning our system, goalscorers tend to miss a lot as they're good at getting into scoring positions so have more shots, Tammy was the same

Archived