IGNORED

Korey Smith

BCFC_Josh

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Wages have to be spent but we can save a transfer fee by keeping Smith.  You do know the club loses £16m a year and we don’t have a Webster size fee coming in? Plus no fans in the ground don’t you ?

Blimey. 

Covid will have dented all finances in the near future. Thus, fees and wages will be hit.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wages have to be spent but we can save a transfer fee by keeping Smith.  You do know the club loses £16m a year and we don’t have a Webster size fee coming in? Plus no fans in the ground don’t you ?

Blimey. 

A transfer fee :laugh: do you think bcfc will literally have zero spending power this summer? Do you have that little understanding of the club or how it functions? Are you a new supporter? 

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

A transfer fee :laugh: do you think bcfc will literally have zero spending power this summer? Do you have that little understanding of the club or how it functions? Are you a new supporter? 

If you can’t keep up with the points being made then go to bed and sleep off the booze.  

City won’t be able to strengthen all over the pitch this window so will need to prioritise. 

Looking forward to your pre match write up on tonight’s game, tomorrow!  Haha. 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

If you can’t keep up with the points being made then go to bed and sleep off the booze.  

City won’t be able to strengthen all over the pitch this window so will need to prioritise. 

Looking forward to your pre match write up on tonight’s game, tomorrow!  Haha. 

I didnt think you could answer the question.

55 minutes ago, Lez said:

Dont need significant money to upgrade him do we. William's from Wigan.....I wonder if they are going to hold out for 10 million.

Seriously if you are going to challenge my post at least make your point remotely feasible.

I read somewhere that Williams had a £1.5m relegation release clause.

8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Wouldn't surprise me.

Well we should have a bid lined up or budgeted for as soon as their status confirmed (appeal over 12 pts by end of July). If the release price true of course.

EDIT: The above is IMO. I think we should absolutely if the mooted asking price correct, but whether it's feasible or on the cards who knows.

35 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I'd argue Frankie and entire defence (Joe Bryan being the close one) we've upgraded, we can only compare them against when they left the club Ayling for example Bielsa is getting the best out of him, Joe Bryan feeding of being able to supply Mitrovic etc but as of when he left Jay is close to as good as he was as a wing back. Hunt is better than Little and Kalas is better than Flint defensively just miss his goals.

In midfield we're talking Korey (still here) Freeman and Marlon/Wade Elliot. Freeman wasn't the play for us that he was for QPR so I'd say Pato's performances have been an upgrade. Pack upon leaving vs HNM/AN is tough Marlon would add better balance to our midfield atm.

Wilbs and Agard upfront yes 100% we've upgraded neither would be getting 13-15 goals in the championship

A Pack and Nagy double pivot could've been quite interesting IMO.

51 minutes ago, James54De said:

I don't need to "read what you wrote again". Nor do I care what order a discussion went. Wages have to be spent either way and Korey has probably worked himself up to a decent wage here. 

Korey will probably be the lowest paid senior player.

He signed a 3yr deal (his current contract) in summer 2016, City were not paying anywhere near the wages they are today.

He extended again in Nov 2018 (when injured) taking him to this summer on exactly the same terms as he’d signed 2 years earlier. LJ in fairness didn’t want him trying to rush rehab worrying about trying to get a new deal. So extended him to 2020, where we are now.

I feel for Korey, it’s the other side of being a pro footballer.

New manager has a tough call to make. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

For transfer fee and wages? Can’t see it myself.  Going to be a lot more than that.  Wages alone will be that over a 3 year deal. 

Key thing missing here is potential profit.

Let's assume we pay the rumoured £1.5m for Williams, and that both him and Korey's wages would equate to £500kpa (9kpw), over 2 years.

Korey is more experienced, solid, however injuries have impacted both his agility and appearances.

Williams knows Walsh as both were at the Everton Academy, and has Championship experience at both Bolton and Wigan, and is the age Korey was when we signed the latter from Oldham.

Korey would have no feasible residual at 31 years old.

We could sell Williams, for say, £5m, at 25.

Bang, 100% profit.

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Key thing missing here is potential profit.

Let's assume we pay the rumoured £1.5m for Williams, and that both him and Korey's wages would equate to £500kpa (9kpw), over 2 years.

Korey is more experienced, solid, however injuries have impacted both his agility and appearances.

Williams knows Walsh as both were at the Everton Academy, and has Championship experience at both Bolton and Wigan, and is the age Korey was when we signed the latter from Oldham.

Korey would have no feasible residual at 31 years old.

We could sell Williams, for say, £5m, at 25.

Bang, 100% profit.

Absolutely but these are unique times. I think fans might be surprised how little business we do this window as we try to ride the covid wave.  A temporary halt to our practises.  Certainly Lez and JamesD disagree with that which is fine. Any money we do spend would be better spent on a centre back, striker, right back and winger I would say.  

Guess time will tell but I just cannot see us spending £15-20m this summer so why not give Korey another deal?  On the whole he has been good since football returned. 

How much are we going to bring in through selling Fam and Elliason? They will need replacing too and fees for them will be lower than if they had longer on their contracts.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely but there is no guarantee on resell. I think fans might be surprised how little business we do this window as we try to ride the covid wave.  A temporary halt to our practises.  Any money we do spend would be better spent on a centre back, striker, right back and winger I would say.  

Guess time will tell but I just cannot see us spending £15-20m this summer so why not give Korey another deal?  On the whole he has been good since football returned. 

How much are we going to bring in through selling Fam and Elliason? They will need replacing too and fees for them will be lower than if they had longer on their contracts.

Because he is past it plain and simple.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I think a match fit Smith in the centre of the park for us, would be a wonderful asset.

However we havent seen that for a number of seasons.

He's been beset with a number of injuries, one after another; and at times has looked a long way short of his best over the last few months.

Would he be worth the money, if we could guarantee his injury record would improve, absolutely. However i think this is a pragmatic decision; that opens up opportunities for a number of our younger players to step up into the breach.

It may come back to bite us, and he may have a wonderful injury free season elsewhere. Look how Webster turned out for us, after numerous injury laden seasons at Ipswich. That's football and you don't know, what you don't know.

I'll always have fond memories of Korey. But like LJ, its the right time for a parting of the ways.

I wish him the very best in the future.

Well said, to progress we need to move on with a more dynamic all action midfield “general “ last 4 games have been his time to shine, too deep in a back 5, Side ways back rubbish, has to be better options out there or give the others a chance. TBH I’m no fan of Paterson but he has at least been the most dynamic mid we’ve had in recent weeks.

Great servant Korey but we will never get promoted as our captain/Mid lynchpin 

respect?

Love Korey but agree with others that there’s no room for sentiment and it’s time for him to move on.

Next season we already have Nagy, Massengo, Walsh and Morrell in his position. They trump him now I’m afraid. The only thing you could argue we’re missing is experience.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The club are reportedly on the lookout for a defensive midfielder so it would tie in with Korey leaving I guess.

Has been a good player and ambassador for the club a shame about his injuries.

He will go down as a City legend for his goal v United. 

I'm so glad he got that goal too, out of all the players on the pitch that day he deserved it the most. Such an exemplary professional who has served our club tremendously, will be sad to see him go. 

7 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Korey is rarely spectacular but a consistent 7/10 each week at what he does and never goes missing during games. I wish more of our players could demonstrate that consistency. 

He has been a very good performer for City but lately, due to two serious injuries, he has been more like a 5/10.

We need a refreshed midfield now.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

He has been a very good performer for City but lately, due to two serious injuries, he has been more like a 5/10.

We need a refreshed midfield now.

Yes I would agree with that, should have phrased it in the past tense. 

Great player for us and also a really nice guy. I’ve met him once and he is a very genuine man. Friendly and approachable.

He has his limitations and hasn’t quite been the same since injury, but a very useful player to have in the squad and someone who can play a couple of roles.

Hughton managed him at Norwich for a while so may want to keep him around if he joins.

Always liked Korey, but I think we have to be pragmatic and accept it's time to evolve the squad.

I know people disagree but I'd still like someone with more height and strength as an option in this midfield because I think our remaining midfielders have enough creativity and movement.

I'd like a Romeu/Wanyama/Matic type.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Always liked Korey, but I think we have to be pragmatic and accept it's time to evolve the squad.

I know people disagree but I'd still like someone with more height and strength as an option in this midfield because I think our remaining midfielders have enough creativity and movement.

I'd like a Romeu/Wanyama/Matic type.

For me I agree but perhaps slightly Less physical and more mobile

The big question for the new manager is how will he set up and what are the roles of the players in that system.

Korey is often talked about as a DM, the deepest player protecting the CBs, but when Pack was here, he was the energy in front of Marlon.

Nagy would be better in a double pivot rather than as the single deepest midfielder.  His defensive work needs help, so he is not defensively effective if you play him alone in there.  Morrell would work in a double pivot.

A lot for the new man to fathom out.

Archived