IGNORED

Who gets traded up this time?

Dr Balls

So in the last 2 years, we have sold Bryan, Reid, Flint, Pack, Kelly,Webster and Brownhill all of whom have either been in the Premier League this season, or are at teams that finished in the playoffs this season.

On that basis, which players from our current squad will be sold and do the same next year? My suggestions are Palmer, Eliasson and Diedhiou. Plus Afobe will start scoring again for a rejuvenated Stoke, who are my tip for the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

So in the last 2 years, we have sold Bryan, Reid, Flint, Pack, Kelly,Webster and Brownhill all of whom have either been in the Premier League this season, or are at teams that finished in the playoffs this season.

On that basis, which players from our current squad will be sold and do the same next year? My suggestions are Palmer, Eliasson and Diedhiou. Plus Afobe will start scoring again for a rejuvenated Stoke, who are my tip for the playoffs.

With the possible exception of Eliasson, it doesn’t feel like we have any obvious Crown Jewels at the moment who have enhanced their reputation this season to the point of becoming too good for us.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

With the possible exception of Eliasson, it doesn’t feel like we have any obvious Crown Jewels at the moment who have enhanced their reputation this season to the point of becoming too good for us.

Swansea wanted Palmer last summer. Should they go up via the playoffs, I can see them putting in a bid for him.

6 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Stop using this stupid terminology that the club are trying to seep into us.

It‘a just a way of dressing up our best players will again be sold.

I don’t like the terminology either or continually selling our best players, and bringing in “ones for the future” who may or may not make the grade. It may make some economic sense but from a footballing viewpoint it makes progress so much harder and smacks of lack of ambition.

4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

I mean technically we sold Brownhill this year but out of the current crop it’s Eliasson. I hope he doesn’t go but we have treated him so poorly it’s mad. 

Eliasson will need to improve quicky on his game without the ball. If a move transpires to a lower level PL team that will need to grind out results, is he than man for that job? Undoubtedly fantastic on the ball and he can skin anyone with those step overs and his final ball is at times excellent. 

If he moved to say Celtic (previously linked) I would be massively disappointed.  He needs to stay with us under new leadership and see where that can take both us and him. 

I'd actually be most worried about losing Jay Dasilva, such a talented left back who just needs to improve a bit in the final third. His touch and movement is up there with the best in the squad. It all depends on who we're going to bring in manager wise I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Eliasson will need to improve quicky on his game without the ball. If a move transpires to a lower level PL team that will need to grind out results, is he than man for that job? Undoubtedly fantastic on the ball and he can skin anyone with those step overs and his final ball is at times excellent. 

If he moved to say Celtic (previously linked) I would be massively disappointed.  He needs to stay with us under new leadership and see where that can take both us and him. 

I agree with a lot of this but my problem is I think our best formation going into next season (especially with Moore, Morrell and Walsh coming back and hopefully playing a big role) is 3-5-2 and Eliasson just doesn't fit in that system. Yes he'd be a great plan B option from the bench but would it not be better value to us (with one year left on his contract) selling now and using the money gained to invest in an upgrade at RWB (assuming Periera is not signed) and maybe another centre half to cover/challenge Baker/Kalas/Moore/Vyner (assuming Williams leaves) or striker to replace Afobe? Interested to get peoples thoughts....

10 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I agree with a lot of this but my problem is I think our best formation going into next season (especially with Moore, Morrell and Walsh coming back and hopefully playing a big role) is 3-5-2 and Eliasson just doesn't fit in that system. Yes he'd be a great plan B option from the bench but would it not be better value to us (with one year left on his contract) selling now and using the money gained to invest in an upgrade at RWB (assuming Periera is not signed) and maybe another centre half to cover/challenge Baker/Kalas/Moore/Vyner (assuming Williams leaves) or striker to replace Afobe? Interested to get peoples thoughts....

He is that type of player that if we let him go (probably on the cheaper side) will we look back and say that was a massive mistake. 

New man may not play 3-5-2. 4-3-3 is the flavour of the month. He can play in that. It's a tricky one for sure. 

I have said on previous thread that I don't think Moore, Walsh and Morrell get in first 11. Squad players pushing for first team action is where I think they are at. 

I also think MA has already identified who stays, who goes and who he is after, regardless in the incoming man. 

Eliasson will probably go along with Fam as they are both in the final year of their contracts. Baker is also in his final year so we may cabs in on him, imo one of the best defenders in the division when he's not injured. 

Kasey and Han will probably get some attention as well. 

O'Dowda, Watkins and Adelakun may also leave. 

The new gaffer will have a rebuilding job to do. 

Fammy will be by far our biggest loss, if he does move on. And I'd say 1 that we wouldn't be able to afford to replace. 

May cash in on Ellison, although it would be good to see what the new manager can get out of him. 

Likewise with Palmer I suppose, but I can't see anything in him bar the odd inventive pass. 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Fammy will be by far our biggest loss, if he does move on. And I'd say 1 that we wouldn't be able to afford to replace. 

May cash in on Ellison, although it would be good to see what the new manager can get out of him. 

Likewise with Palmer I suppose, but I can't see anything in him bar the odd inventive pass. 

The problem regarding Palmer is we haven’t really seen enough of him on a regular basis to say whether he is what we need in terms of creativity. Early in the season, supplying Afobe, he looked great, and clearly Wells needs midfield playmakers to set him up on goal, so there may still be a role for him here. It all depends on how the new head coach wants to set up the team.

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Ellison will go 

7 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

You make it sound as if we had a choice. In the modern game power is with the players not the clubs. If a player really wants away he will go and the club will be left trying to get the best deal they can. Very few clubs, even mega rich ones, will keep on a player who is disaffected and who may become a disruptive influence in the dressing room. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You make it sound as if we had a choice. In the modern game power is with the players not the clubs. If a player really wants away he will go and the club will be left trying to get the best deal they can. Very few clubs, even mega rich ones, will keep on a player who is disaffected and who may become a disruptive influence in the dressing room. 

yes it does my head in,

We aren't the only club having to sell there best players every season,

All clubs have too, its about maximising the profit you can make, which is what we now do,

Or do you want to go back to the days of players of elliasons quality leaving on a free transfer?

Selling top players happens to all clubs outside of a small handful of elite clubs

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I don’t like the terminology either or continually selling our best players, and bringing in “ones for the future” who may or may not make the grade. It may make some economic sense but from a footballing viewpoint it makes progress so much harder and smacks of lack of ambition.

Our owner is a businessman. Not a football person tbh. He wants to make money and investing in good youngsters is easier than rolling the dice and taking a punt on experience. Sell on prices matter to him. It only needs one Webster and he's laughing. That's why the appointment of the new manager has taken time. He knows he has to get it right this time but its going to be costly if he delivers Hughton 

Eliasson in the right side would be a good signing. Burnley for example would be a good move for him.

If we are planning on playing a 4-3-3 counter pressing game (if we get Gerrard) I am not sure there is much point keeping Eliasson or Diedhiou who we could both probably sell for decent ish money. 

On the other hand if we get Hughton they would both fit his style perfectly. 

I would personally be a bit gutted if we sold Walsh, Morrell or Massengo as think under the right manager they would be very decent players at this level.

It seems like Palmer is very much out of favour and would expect him to be sold. In the right system I could see him being a decent player but not sure he works hard enough to play a pressing game. 

Other than those mentioned I wouldn't really be too bothered if anyone else left think they could be quite easily replaced other than maybe DaSilva. 

5 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Our owner is a businessman. Not a football person tbh. He wants to make money and investing in good youngsters is easier than rolling the dice and taking a punt on experience. Sell on prices matter to him. It only needs one Webster and he's laughing. That's why the appointment of the new manager has taken time. He knows he has to get it right this time but its going to be costly if he delivers Hughton 

if he wanted to make money he wouldn't be investing in football,

Wouldn’t be surprised if Eliasson moved abroad and did really well. He’s obviously improved his physicality since arriving here, definitely put on at least a stone of muscle. With the game being less physical in some parts of Europe, his technical ability will shine through if he’s utilized correctly. Would be a massive shame to lose him as I really enjoy watching him play, but for the right price, it may be best for all parties.

3 hours ago, harvey54 said:

I’d love you to come up with some figures on how the Lansdowns are making money out of Bristol City. Good luck with that one!

Really torn with Eliasson. On the ball he has the ability to be one of the best players in the league.... but off the ball, he can be the worst and an absolute passenger.

A move to Celtic would be perfect for him. No defensive qualities needed up there.

30 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’d love you to come up with some figures on how the Lansdowns are making money out of Bristol City. Good luck with that one!

Didn't say he does. Said he wants to. Look at the players sold over the last couple of seasons. Earner 

1 minute ago, harvey54 said:

Didn't say he does. Said he wants to. Look at the players sold over the last couple of seasons. Earner 

Earner - yes, but only in the context of limiting losses for FFP compliance purposes.

The only way he will make money is if he adds value to the whole package, gets to the Prem and sells out. Highly unlikely with son as successor.

19 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I disagree. I think he wants the football club to be financially self-sustainable. Don't think he's trying to make the club profitable for his own personal gain? 

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

we made profit one out of the 4 years johnson has been in charge, that one season of profit doesn't even come close to covering even a tenth of what lansdown has put into the club

On 23/07/2020 at 01:08, JollyestOli said:

Hate all that shit about 'philosophy' and 'identity and 'game management' 

Always seems to come after a defeat on or off the pitch. 

Dhiedhou & Eliasson sold for big money abroad.

Massengo sold for big money to the Premier League.

Adelakun sold to Rotherham (undisclosed)

Maenpaa released

Szmodics part of deal to get Toney.

Watkins sold

Baker sold

Williams released

Incoming 

Pereira 

Archived