IGNORED

Dean Holden

cidered abroad

26 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Doesn't sound promising does it Rob. 

Surely another Millen style appointment would just perpetuate the status quo, and if the sum total of our ambition is to make money and not go down, why not. 

But that’s just it. Lee had the remit of making money and get promoted. Makes you realise what a difficult job that would be for anyone, never mind someone like him who had relatively little Championship or even managerial experience. 

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

But that’s just it. Lee had the remit of making money and get promoted. Makes you realise what a difficult job that would be for anyone, never mind someone like him who had relatively little Championship or even managerial experience. 

Quite possibly, but it doesn't explain the slow unenspired football served up by team LJ. 

Publicly LJ was satisfied with last seasons efforts, he must have been fuming at letting a play-off place slip away. 

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

So many fans talk of LJ "making money" as though this is a cold and calculated business plan, just to increase profit on the bottom line for the benefit of the club's owner.

With losses running at the level they have been for a few seasons unless we made profit of on player sales, as we have over the last 3 seasons, I think I'm right in saying that we would have blown ffp by a country mile with the consequences that would have resulted. 

As for that being a difficult job for anyone, then I think plenty of managers are going to need to get used to it being a difficult job in that respect, as I can see the juggling of clubs' finances becoming an ever more important issue in the next few seasons ( with ffp and the cover effect) and sustainability will be the only way most clubs at this level can survive financially.

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Still seeing shades of Johnson football post leaving.

All of the coaching staff should go. 

Absolutely right. We do not want a mix and match of a new manager and Johnson's team. Johnson had his chance and took us so far now is the time for a clean break and new ideas and a fresh approach

7 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Quite possibly, but it doesn't explain the slow unenspired home football served up by team LJ. 

Publicly LJ was satisfied with last seasons efforts, he must have been fuming at letting a play-off place slip away. 

23 minutes ago, downendcity said:

So many fans talk of LJ "making money" as though this is a cold and calculated business plan, just to increase profit on the bottom line for the benefit of the club's owner.

With losses running at the level they have been for a few seasons unless we made profit of on player sales, as we have over the last 3 seasons, I think I'm right in saying that we would have blown ffp by a country mile with the consequences that would have resulted. 

As for that being a difficult job for anyone, then I think plenty of managers are going to need to get used to it being a difficult job in that respect, as I can see the juggling of clubs' finances becoming an ever more important issue in the next few seasons ( with ffp and the cover effect) and sustainability will be the only way most clubs at this level can survive financially.

I can see why we had to do it, I really can. But I can also feel the pain of having to sell our best player and turn the money round and invest it in three, whilst at the same time hope another will come of value by the time the next window comes around PLUS push our team up the table too.

But it’s just not sustainable at such a level, we don’t sell £12m players very often. Something had to fail and for us it was the football on the pitch that let us down. As I said, I do understand it. There is a pecking order, we buy from a League one/two and lesser Championship clubs and the Premier League and better Championship clubs pick up our cream. It’s certainly easier for a player to have their heads turned by Chelsea than it is by us.

But yes I think things have changed, almost no money coming in to clubs and bills still have to be paid, how much is it to hotel a team and all the extra staff that travel, it must be eyewatering. We seem to have assistants for assistants, Mark Ashton for example has ‘staff’. There will certainly some tightening of belts and clubs will be looking at who is on their books before spending like before.

And getting back on topic, I don’t know how much Dean Holden knows about this side if things, probably not much if it’s as previous managers have said that the work the job involved was quite a shock to them.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Don't quite a lot of Championship managers have similar. Certainly quite a lot seem to have to make useful profits in the market, albeit for differing reasons. 

I wonder if a perfect storm of the financial effects of Covid, move from traditional manager to head coach including sporting directors and a possibility of a wage cap could seriously impact on the employability of a lot of more 'traditional' managers. At this level especially!

Would managers such as Cotts, Mccarthy to name two be able to adapt to/be accepting of such a environment.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I think Holden did a good enough caretaker job that hes proved he's ready for his first managerial role, but you'd think he'd start further down the leagues.

How did he do a good job? Only beat the worst team in the league (just) and a team who lost all four of their home games post lockdown, the standard and team selection/tactics were as dire as ever

1 minute ago, Galway Red said:

How did he do a good job? Only beat the worst team in the league (just) and a team who lost all four of their home games post lockdown, the standard and team selection/tactics were as dire as ever

By the same token we’d just lost 4 on the trot. ?

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Are they Close friends or just went in the same UEFA A licence together? I don’t see any other cross overs in their careers.  

They only slept together the once okay. What happens on UEFA school, stays in UEFA school...

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't quite a lot of Championship managers have similar. Certainly quite a lot seem to have to make useful profits in the market, albeit for differing reasons. 

I wonder if a perfect storm of the financial effects of Covid, move from traditional manager to head coach including sporting directors and a possibility of a wage cap could seriously impact on the employability of a lot of more 'traditional' managers. At this level especially!

Would managers such as Cotts, Mccarthy to name two be able to adapt to/be accepting of such a environment.

Yes they do. They also have to do so without such a wealthy owner who is able, and prepared to back the sort of infrastructure developments we have seen, and are still seeing  at the club.

For me the crucial issue is that despite the players we've had to see, we still have a very good squad - in my opinion better than the one LJ had in his first season, and certainly good enough to properly challenge for a top 6 place. That there are other managers in the championship who also have  to sell their best players, but still manage to produce good, competitive football and challenge at the top end of the table, or punch way above their weight, only shows the difference the right coach/manager makes.

I've mentioned previously that around the time of the league cup run we really looked like we , under LJ, could push on and be a force in the promotion race. I don't know whether LJ started to believe the hype,  whether he became to clever for his own good or just that he had reached the limit of his abilities with us, but since then we have regressed.

Our structure is what it is, but any applicants bemoaning that they cannot work within it, might, as you suggest,  be struggling to find jobs as more and more clubs are forced to follow a similar path. 

Archived