Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Ashton Gate Limited - Job Losses


Recommended Posts

Firstly, thoughts with those losing their jobs.  Not good news, and nor will timing with a new managerial appointment.

Secondly, £8m losses.

AG Ltd is part of Bristol City Holdings and it’s accounts are what we use to submit our FFP numbers.

Some of that £8m will be netted off of Bristol City FC, e.g. Football side won’t have to pay for certain services, because they’ve not used them, but this company structure is generally used to help our FFP submission.

Mark Ashton mentioned austerity.  This certainly backs it up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

No doubt sales of fam and eliasson will be used to balance books rather than provide some kind of transfer kitty.

I think they would anyway. But I honestly don't think we need a lot. At most could do with a new right back*, new left back cover**,  one more midfielder***, a replacement for Fam**** and maybe a replacement for Afobe.

*though you could argue Vyner can step up. 

**though you could argue Rowe has never let us down. 

***if Smith goes

****if he goes

If we can move on a few players to free up funds for those players, all well and good. But I really hope the new manager is a fan of evolution rather than revolution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Curious timing.  

Hope this isn’t being done to prepare us for a less than inspiring Head Coach appointment.

To give enough notice for end of Furlough scheme.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to hear that tough time to be losing your job.Thoughts with those affected.I am fortunate as it were to work in an in demand field(Mental health)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Desperately sad for anyone losing their jobs or affected by it. The announcement of a new manager - especially a big name - may be quite a bitter pill for them to swallow.

Football club and stadium are separate 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Football club and stadium are separate 

But......joined together under Bristol City Holdings....which as I state above, directly affect our FFP position.

Edited by Davefevs
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davefevs said:

But......joined together under Bristol City Holdings....which as I stare above, directly affect our FFP position.

True but more talking about people on social media who talk about club spending being shameful in this position, don't think we could send money to AG company to help them if you get what I mean, but people still blame the club.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I realise that. But I'd imagine the businesses and their finances/employees are nonetheless linked enough for people to feel a connection...

No, the clubs finances aren't linked, its a separate company,

Those losing their jobs will come from all parts of the stadium operation 

Its sad but millions could be in the same boat soon thanks to covid

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Monkeh said:

No, the clubs finances aren't linked, its a separate company,

Those losing their jobs will come from all parts of the stadium operation 

Its sad but millions could be in the same boat soon thanks to covid

Part of same holding company though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No, the clubs finances aren't linked, its a separate company,

Those losing their jobs will come from all parts of the stadium operation 

Its sad but millions could be in the same boat soon thanks to covid

As @Davefevs says, it is a separate company but linked through ownership so it's only natural people will think "the owners are prepared to put the money here but not here". I'm not saying that's a fair or valid thing to think and it's obviously way more complicated than that but, if a company make you redundant whilst making an ambitious appointment in another related business they own, it would be natural for people to feel a bit ambivalent about that

As you say, millions will be in the same boat. The events industry is going to go through a tsunami in the months to come. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Ffp is calculated on the football clubs finances not the holding companies 

No it’s not....I’m 100% sure of this.  It’s why I continually quote the structure because of it’s relevance.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

As @Davefevs says, it is a separate company but linked through ownership so it's only natural people will think "the owners are prepared to put the money here but not here". I'm not saying that's a fair or valid thing to think and it's obviously way more complicated than that but, if a company make you redundant whilst making an ambitious appointment in another related business they own, it would be natural for people to feel a bit ambivalent about that

As you say, millions will be in the same boat. The events industry is going to go through a tsunami in the months to come. 

yea sadly and it will be the events side that is hardest hit at ashton gate I suspect, that and the conference centre thing as more businesses embrace the likes of Microsoft teams

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Desperately sad for anyone losing their jobs or affected by it. The announcement of a new manager - especially a big name - may be quite a bitter pill for them to swallow.

Unfortunately, it's the way of the World. I myself was made redundant 5, yes 5 times during Mrs Thatchers rein of terror and times were hard, still I managed to find work and got by.  I know it's not exactly the same as this situation and it will be hard for everyone who loses their job because of this crisis, but in my experience most people are very adaptable and will always find a way to survive and even improve sometimes, I know I did. I wish everyone who is in this position good luck and never give up what ever happens.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No it’s not....I’m 100% sure of this.  It’s why I continually quote the structure because of it’s relevance.

so do they take the rugby clubs finances into account as well as they are part of Bristol sport which is part of Bristol city holdings?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To give enough notice for end of Furlough scheme.

 

31 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Isn't the furlough scheme changing soon?

Indeed, but why should anyone let that get in the way of a dig?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

so do they take the rugby clubs finances into account as well as they are part of Bristol sport which is part of Bristol city holdings?

No, the structure of Bristol City Holdings, contains 2 businesses:

  • Bristol City Football Club Ltd
  • Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd

Bristol Sport Ltd is separate, but part of Pula.

Bristol Rugby club pay rent to AGS Ltd, as do BCFC Ltd. Both Rugby and Football pay Bristol Sport for ticketing, media etc.  Thanks to @Coppellofor the initial pic which I added the scribble to.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbc26b48116e3e5e7ac923c98929a50b.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Unfortunately, it's the way of the World. I myself was made redundant 5, yes 5 times during Mrs Thatchers rein of terror and times were hard, still I managed to find work and got by.  I know it's not exactly the same as this situation and it will be hard for everyone who loses their job because of this crisis, but in my experience most people are very adaptable and will always find a way to survive and even improve sometimes, I know I did. I wish everyone who is in this position good luck and never give up what ever happens.

Agreed. I think the only positive, if there is such a thing, is there is every reason to think that, once the threat of COVID has receded to safe level, the events industry will return to full capacity. Hopefully, in a year or two, those jobs will return and businesses will need more staff again. It doesn't help anyone who needs that work for the next year or two though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Isn't the furlough scheme changing soon?

True, as Davefevs just pointed out.

I hadn’t thought of that, but coming at the point we’re expecting to hear who the new HC is going to be, I wondered if this was more than a coincidence.

Really sorry for all the staff involved though.  The whole furlough scheme was supposed to be tiding businesses over until revenue starts flowing again, so it’s disappointing this is happening now.  

I’d hope something could be done with the ffp rules, just to give clubs some leeway to absorb some of the losses from this hellish year and save some jobs in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...