IGNORED

Ashton Gate Limited - Job Losses

Davefevs

Just now, Davefevs said:

No, the structure of Bristol City Holdings, contains 2 businesses:

• Bristol City Football Club Ltd
  • Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd

Bristol Sport Ltd is separate, but part of Pula.

Bristol Rugby club pay rent to AGS Ltd, as do BCFC Ltd. Both Rugby and Football pay Bristol Sport for ticketing, media etc.  Thanks to @Coppellofor the initial pic which I added the scribble to.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbc26b48116e3e5e7ac923c98929a50b.jpeg

confusing,

Anyway thanks dave, I dont think it effects the footballing side of things, plans were always going to be reduced next season due to covid, all clubs are going to be in the same boat,

If the efl/epl had any sense they would let owners support clubs a bit more until the crisis is over

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

True, as Davefevs just pointed out.

I hadn’t thought of that, but coming at the point we’re expecting to hear who the new HC is going to be, I wondered if this was more than a coincidence.

Really sorry for all the staff involved though.  The whole furlough scheme was supposed to be tiding businesses over until revenue starts flowing again, so it’s disappointing this is happening now.  

I’d hope something could be done with the ffp rules, just to give clubs some leeway to absorb some of the losses from this hellish year and save some jobs in the process.

Yes, still waiting to hear what the EFL intends to do re FFP.  There was talk of deferring for one year and making the next reporting cycle a 4 year cycle.  So it would be £52m over 4 years instead of £39 over 3. But we still don’t know re things like salary cap etc.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

confusing,

Anyway thanks dave, I dont think it effects the footballing side of things, plans were always going to be reduced next season due to covid, all clubs are going to be in the same boat,

If the efl/epl had any sense they would let owners support clubs a bit more until the crisis is over

Agree, on the overall impact.  Assuming Hughton is appointed, would love to hear him come out and say something like:

I’ve got a decent squad here, some good young players ready to fight for a place, and I just need a player here or there and I’m ready to go.

Sort of thing.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

confusing,

Be interesting to see how player market values are affected as we go through ‘pre-season’. 

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

doesn’t sit well with me we have a billionaire owner and are prepared to pay underperforming players anywhere between 10 and 30 grand a week while people earning that in a year are being made redundant. just not right

Thats capitalism for you

doesn’t sit well with me we have a billionaire owner and are prepared to pay underperforming players anywhere between 10 and 30 grand a week while people earning that in a year are being made redundant. just not right

Again club and AG two different businesses, AG are a hospitality business whose income stream has been cut off, football club get our income primarily from tv deal etc which is in place and lose a not insignificant but not devastating amount (for us at any rate) through the loss of match day income. 

Just now, Lrrr said:

Again club and AG two different businesses, AG are a hospitality business whose income stream has been cut off, football club get our income primarily from tv deal etc which is in place and lose a not insignificant but not devastating amount (for us at any rate) through the loss of match day income. 

quite frankly how the club is structured to dodge taxes i don’t give a flying **** about. at the end of the day it’s all owned by the same bloke

quite frankly how the club is structured to dodge taxes i don’t give a flying **** about. at the end of the day it’s all owned by the same bloke

We don't own AG so in the case of the club being in financial trouble the stadium can't be used as an asset 

21 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Im pretty sure the club are paying all taxes due,

If they aren't then we've got alot more to worry about then event staff being made redundant 

Is this likely to be people that work matchdays in say the shop or food/drinks outlets who were part time/Saturday jobs or more full time jobs? If so its unfortunate that even though furlough is ending there are just no events for them to work at. We can just hope that when normality returns the jobs will return. Thoughts are with everyone affected.

9 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Is this likely to be people that work matchdays in say the shop or food/drinks outlets who were part time/Saturday jobs or more full time jobs? If so its unfortunate that even though furlough is ending there are just no events for them to work at. We can just hope that when normality returns the jobs will return. Thoughts are with everyone affected.

Majority of those let go will be from the meetings and events teams

Thoughts with all those affected.

The points about FFP could be a bit of a red herring tbh. 

The biggest FFP related or general related wage cost will surely be the players, by far. Or maybe the football operations. 

Matchday staff would only get paid on a Matchday anyway, so unsure what difference it makes. No matchday, no matchday staff cost.

57 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Quite right.

Technicalities about how companies are split up are not relevant to the fact that redundancies are being made and players and managers are being paid shedloads all under one umbrella organisation.  But this applies to all clubs in the upper echelons, not just us.

59 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The other way to look at it, and those complaining, should the club continue to pay employees if they arent doing anything because their job no longer exists?

We carried on paying players gross sums when they weren't doing their jobs!

This is very unfortunate and my heart goes out to those affected but as has been said all businesses need to cut its cloth to remain viable and keep others in employment.

With no hospitality events for months and in the near future difficult decisions need to be made. Ashton Gate Ltd is a business not a charity.

Unemployment is about to sky rocket and times have changed, many of these jobs either no longer exist or are not coming back in the short-term.  Sad times.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Thats capitalism for you

Always makes me sad that people have clung to this system that ***** them up the arse so frequently.

Anyway, very very sad for anyone who has lost their job. It'll only get worse around the country now I fear.

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Think you will find that it is not set up to avoid taxes but to run each separate business more effectively..you would be the first to complain if the Stadium income from hospitality and concerts effected the Football Club FFP status ,and reduced the opportunity to attract good players. 

On 20/07/2020 at 09:22, Major Isewater said:

‘ someone like Hughton’

27 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

Think you will find that it is not set up to avoid taxes but to run each separate business more effectively..you would be the first to complain if the Stadium income from hospitality and concerts effected the Football Club FFP status ,and reduced the opportunity to attract good players. 

Bristol City Holdings is for FFP anyway?

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agreed. I think the only positive, if there is such a thing, is there is every reason to think that, once the threat of COVID has receded to safe level, the events industry will return to full capacity. Hopefully, in a year or two, those jobs will return and businesses will need more staff again. It doesn't help anyone who needs that work for the next year or two though. 

The events industry won't ever get back to how it was before.

Large scale conferences were on the way out due to environmental concerns and pressure over excessive travel anyway and those who create and book the events have realised they can do more creative things online with a clearer ROI.  People won't be so accepting of taking time out and away from their families anymore either. All of this is without the damage that COVID has done in terms of added H&S and distancing requirements driving down profitability.

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

The events industry won't ever get back to how it was before.

Large scale conferences were on the way out due to environmental concerns and pressure over excessive travel anyway and those who create and book the events have realised they can do more creative things online with a clearer ROI.  People won't be so accepting of taking time out and away from their families anymore either. All of this is without the damage that COVID has done in terms of added H&S and distancing requirements driving down profitability.

Sorry - was talking more about live events rather than conferencing and business events. Realise that will be very different.

3 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

This is very unfortunate and my heart goes out to those affected but as has been said all businesses need to cut its cloth to remain viable and keep others in employment.

With no hospitality events for months and in the near future difficult decisions need to be made. Ashton Gate Ltd is a business not a charity.

Unemployment is about to sky rocket and times have changed, many of these jobs either no longer exist or are not coming back in the short-term.  Sad times.

It’s just an indication that they can’t see the renenue they used to have returning anyt8me soon. A lot of AG was used on a daily basis preCovid, anything from conferences, parties, blood doning, driver awareness courses to exams and everything inbetween. All this income has gone. The place is pretty much a giant food bank most days for the past few months. 

Before anyone slates SL I heard he has been pretty reasonable to his staff on furlough, below a certain salary cap he has topped up the furlough pay so they have got full pay, he didn’t have to do this. But of course it can’t go on forever. It’s happening everywhere. 

Archived