IGNORED

Ashton Gate Limited - Job Losses

Davefevs

5 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

City have announced there could be as many as 45 job losses at Ashton gate but is this  not a solution?

If Korey Smith, Nicki Maenpaa and Ashley Williams are out of contract on an average championship salary of £29,000 per week

i.e. £1,508,000 per annum, then not replacing just 1 of them would more than pay the salaries of the 45 people at risk.

Is that a too simplistic way of looking at it. 

but the jobs no longer exist, they are redundant, so we would be paying 45 people to sit at home and do nothing

We arent a charity 

I think that they are all run as individual entities with their own budget lines, so a reduction in the football club budget would only serve to benefit the football club rather than the stadium.

That said when you consider that they were trying to use the stadium for non-football activities which clearly still can't happen hospitality events, conferences etc, you can unfortunately see why they've taken the decisions they have

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but the jobs no longer exist, they are redundant, so we would be paying 45 people to sit at home and do nothing

We arent a charity 

Even if we were a charity it wouldn't change the need for hard business decisions...

https://fundraising.co.uk/2020/07/16/cancer-research-uk-anticipates-300m-drop-in-income-over-three-years/

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would be interested to see how it compares to other Championship clubs.

you can't compare it to other championship clubs its not football staff being let go,

Compare it to the entertainment and catering industry which are letting people go in droves,

Just now, Monkeh said:

you can't compare it to other championship clubs its not football staff being let go,

Compare it to the entertainment and catering industry which are letting people go in droves,

When I say all jobs ie Leeds I mean all jobs. Football or club generally a red herring.

Ownership structure is misleading even if technically accurate. 

They've been promoted so not best comparison, moving forward. Other clubs in the Championship would be interested to see.

When I say all jobs ie Leeds I mean all jobs. Football or club generally a red herring.

Ownership structure is misleading even if technically accurate. 

They've been promoted so not best comparison, moving forward. Other clubs in the Championship would be interested to see.

Wigan let go 75 staff before going into administration

Aberdeen 

St Mirran

Malaga

Luton

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Wigan let go 75 staff before going into administration

Aberdeen 

St Mirran

Malaga

Luton

Going into admin kinda the clue there. 

Having a look now.

Was subsequent to going in.

Wage cuts and deferrals at Aberdeen, chairman has said they avoided Covid related redundancies. 

Not found anything on St Mirren yet to indicate job losses. 

Malaga certainly did. 

Luton? Most recent info I found suggested salary cuts to avoid scaled redundancies. Then again wasn't Graeme Jones cost related.

Having said that, dunno whether it was dumb luck or what but worked out brilliantly as the returning Nathan Jones kept  them up!

1 hour ago, dunsteral said:

City have announced there could be as many as 45 job losses at Ashton gate but is this  not a solution?

If Korey Smith, Nicki Maenpaa and Ashley Williams are out of contract on an average championship salary of £29,000 per week

i.e. £1,508,000 per annum, then not replacing just 1 of them would more than pay the salaries of the 45 people at risk.

For a start, the 3 you mention reportedly only total £850k per annum, not £1.5m. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Are Leeds a charity? 

Their players took a very decent sized deferral to save all jobs.

They took it to save job losses in the short term.  We need to wait and see whether the changes / ending in CJRS make some businesses make redundancies.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They took it to save job losses in the short term.  We need to wait and see whether the changes / ending in CJRS make some businesses make redundancies.

They did. They also did that to avoid taking Government furlough which is quite impressive. I'm fairly sure they didn't use it anyway. 

You're right, best to wait and see how it plays out. I would say it isn't a great look at same time as media reports for Gerrard on big wage or whatever.

Think I'll reserve judgement for now.

1 hour ago, dunsteral said:

Too simplistic probably but the wage bill of AGL (Ashton Gate Limited) in 2018/19 was around £5-6m. There's a starting point. 

Maybe but then a pre tax loss of around £1.7m was made for Ashton Gate Limited that same season. This season it's apparently £8m.

You've approached this in entirely the wrong way.

What we SHOULD be doing, is only signing players with experience of hosting corporate events, large scale catering skills and bar management expertise.

Then, when they aren't training or playing, they can mill around the Heineken Lounge with a bottle of Blue Nun wrapped in a tea towel and top up glasses for customers who sadly aren't there.

43 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

City's players took a defferal of part of their wages as well, didn't they..? 

True enough. 

I think many clubs did but don't have figures to hand.

Leeds didn't utilise it need to utilise the furlough scheme at all last I read, owing to the size of deferral. They maybe an outlier however.

Disregarding Leeds, it'll be interesting to see how Covid affects this League financially this summer. 

I'll look to reserve judgement for a bit, until a broader picture emerges.

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

What we SHOULD be doing, is only signing players with experience of hosting corporate events, large scale catering skills and bar management expertise.

Then, when they aren't training or playing, they can mill around the Heineken Lounge with a bottle of Blue Nun wrapped in a tea towel and top up glasses for customers who sadly aren't there.

Our quality of service has been poor recently...is that what you mean ?

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

We’ve already had Tomlin. He had plenty of hospitality experience.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True enough. 

I think many clubs did but don't have figures to hand.

Leeds didn't utilise it need to utilise the furlough scheme at all last I read, owing to the size of deferral. They maybe an outlier however.

Disregarding Leeds, it'll be interesting to see how Covid affects this League financially this summer. 

I'll look to reserve judgement for a bit, until a broader picture emerges.

The Furlough scheme is there to be utilised by all businesses with qualifying staff. 

I'm not sure that you are reserving judgement on. 

59 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The Furlough scheme is there to be utilised by all businesses with qualifying staff. 

I'm not sure that you are reserving judgement on. 

Leeds players and coaching staff took a large enough deferral with the result that furlough was not necessary.

Do you remember the huge backlash Tottenham and Liverpool got with respect to use of furlough? Large clubs with major revenues granted and major profits last season (2018//19) and I'm not comparing us in that respect.

I will reserve judgement- I'll give it some time and see how it looks in the wider picture, especially in the Championship.

18 hours ago, Son Of Nob said:

Fair enough, you call me misguided but - ultimately - nothing to back it up except conjecture.

I don't think Steve Lansdown has invested £100m+(?) for any other reason than he wants to see Bristol City be the best club possible.

Now, he may, eventually, own land greater than the value of his investment (massively unlikely given the returns he could have made on other investments Billionaires make), but to infer that's part of an ultimate plan, I think, is a bit disrespectful for what he's done for this club.

Absolute bollocks I’m afraid.

No-one - not even Mr L - gifts funds away out of the goodness of his heart or wanting us all to share in his apparent love of sport in Bristol. 

No-one.

Business is Business. Money goes to money. And good luck to him or any other entrepreneur who takes the risk and makes their money.

What ***** me off - as some already know ? - is how it’s all wrapped up in mystery and intrigue. Holding companies that are registered offshore to protect the ultimate beneficial owner’s interests.

Why he do that if he truly does have BCFC’s - our club’s - best interests at heart?

Family Lansdown will have done nicely out of all things BCFC - whether it’s the freeholds of Ashton Gate, Ashton Vale or Failand.

Or the cash machine that now serves pizzas on a match day or serves ale in a concourse.

And all that’s fine. But put it another way. What if Steve had taken such a shine to say the BRI or Children’s Hospital and “invested” in that in the way he has in BCFC. 

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Absolute bollocks I’m afraid.

No-one - not even Mr L - gifts funds away out of the goodness of his heart or wanting us all to share in his apparent love of sport in Bristol. 

No-one.

Business is Business. Money goes to money. And good luck to him or any other entrepreneur who takes the risk and makes their money.

What ***** me off - as some already know ? - is how it’s all wrapped up in mystery and intrigue. Holding companies that are registered offshore to protect the ultimate beneficial owner’s interests.

Why he do that if he truly does have BCFC’s - our club’s - best interests at heart?

Family Lansdown will have done nicely out of all things BCFC - whether it’s the freeholds of Ashton Gate, Ashton Vale or Failand.

Or the cash machine that now serves pizzas on a match day or serves ale in a concourse.

And all that’s fine. But put it another way. What if Steve had taken such a shine to say the BRI or Children’s Hospital and “invested” in that in the way he has in BCFC. 

Is it just those 3 or are there others? I say 'just', they seem pretty valuable certainly!

You cite the 'ultimate beneficial owner' point, every so often. Surely it's a drop in the ocean for him, 40 redundancies of relatively low paid staff- could argue it either way but I see a bit of a saving but nothing major.

Is it just those 3 or are there others? I say 'just', they seem pretty valuable certainly!

]You cite the 'ultimate beneficial owner' point, every so often. Surely it's a drop in the ocean for him, 40 redundancies of relatively low paid staff- could argue it either way but I see a bit of a saving but nothing major.

It isn't about saving money though its about those jobs no longer existing as they arent needed,

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's see how it compares to other Championship clubs in the coming weeks. It'll be interesting to see.

That's probably the fairest comparison.

Well no, not unless those clubs have the same facilities and other income streams (or did) as we do.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's see how it compares to other Championship clubs in the coming weeks. It'll be interesting to see.

That's probably the fairest comparison.

but it isn't as you don't know the inner working of their EVENT!!!! Staff, and conferencing facilities

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Well no, not unless those clubs have the same facilities and other income streams (or did) as we do.

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but it isn't as you don't know the inner working of their EVENT!!!! Staff, and conferencing facilities

Lot of clubs have events, conferencing- would have to see- the structure maybe different but we're not unique in this respect I'm fairly sure.

I'll reserve judgment until a fuller picture develops, that's for sure. In fact I'll keep quiet about it until a fuller picture develops!

Archived