IGNORED

Brighton fan in peace

elwheelio

Hello.  Brighton fan in here, in peace.  I just wanted to say that I think you've made a fantastic appointment in Chris Hughton.  He's an excellent manager and a very decent and measured guy.  He did an amazing job with us, taking us on near the bottom of the Championship, getting us promoted and then keeping us up twice. 

The end of his reign here was pretty dismal but he is still thought of as arguably our best ever manager.  He is often criticised for being negative or too defensive.  He is certainly a pragmatist and at time in the PL he took a safety first approach but that is largely due to the fact that we had a good defence and almost nothing up front (except for Glenn Murray who was already in his mid-thirties when we were promoted).  In his final season with us we started really well but, in my opinion, CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings in to the team who, I suspect, were not really his cup of tea to begin with.  We lost our way and we survived by being very defensive and grinding out points.  Still, in his two years in charge in the PL we stayed up twice, beat Man Utd twice, got some very pleasing wins against Palace and got to the FA Cup semi-final. Unless you're about to spent £500m on new players, that is, sadly, about as good as it gets as a "small" PL club.  We're all there to make up the numbers and give the big clubs someone to thrash.

I haven't seen much of Bristol City of late so am not sure how you guys set up or what your strengths and weaknesses are.  However, in the Championship we mostly played a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and we weren't a particularly defensive or cautious side.  We had a good squad, played good football and scored lots of goals.  One thing that is often overlooked with CH is his man management.  He did an excellent job at Brighton of managing some big characters (Knockaert was INCREDIBLE for us but is also a big personality and very emotional) and also keeping everyone together when we missed out on promotion one season on goal difference.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but I wish you all the best with CH.  I, and many other Brighton fans, will be keeping an eye on you next season and hoping to see you in the PL in the next few years.

Great Post Mate but down ere in the West Country we do things at a slower rate. We expect Premiership in about 10 more years and will be appointing the New Head Coach ( down ere we jokingly call him/her 'Our Driver' around about Wassail Time. Chris will love the laid back approach at Bristol City, many times we don't even appear till the second half.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm so pleased to see you've come in peace.

I was really scared for a bit, fearing a repeat of the Hove genocide of 2011.

(Why do opposition fans feel the need to add 'in peace' to messages?)

Not harsh isn't it.... If only AG was as hostile 

41 minutes ago, elwheelio said:

Hello.  Brighton fan in here, in peace.  I just wanted to say that I think you've made a fantastic appointment in Chris Hughton.  He's an excellent manager and a very decent and measured guy.  He did an amazing job with us, taking us on near the bottom of the Championship, getting us promoted and then keeping us up twice. 

The end of his reign here was pretty dismal but he is still thought of as arguably our best ever manager.  He is often criticised for being negative or too defensive.  He is certainly a pragmatist and at time in the PL he took a safety first approach but that is largely due to the fact that we had a good defence and almost nothing up front (except for Glenn Murray who was already in his mid-thirties when we were promoted).  In his final season with us we started really well but, in my opinion, CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings in to the team who, I suspect, were not really his cup of tea to begin with.  We lost our way and we survived by being very defensive and grinding out points.  Still, in his two years in charge in the PL we stayed up twice, beat Man Utd twice, got some very pleasing wins against Palace and got to the FA Cup semi-final. Unless you're about to spent £500m on new players, that is, sadly, about as good as it gets as a "small" PL club.  We're all there to make up the numbers and give the big clubs someone to thrash.

I haven't seen much of Bristol City of late so am not sure how you guys set up or what your strengths and weaknesses are.  However, in the Championship we mostly played a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and we weren't a particularly defensive or cautious side.  We had a good squad, played good football and scored lots of goals.  One thing that is often overlooked with CH is his man management.  He did an excellent job at Brighton of managing some big characters (Knockaert was INCREDIBLE for us but is also a big personality and very emotional) and also keeping everyone together when we missed out on promotion one season on goal difference.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but I wish you all the best with CH.  I, and many other Brighton fans, will be keeping an eye on you next season and hoping to see you in the PL in the next few years.

Thanks for taking time to post. Really good to get a view from BHA...

Hope you're taking good care of Webster. What a great player 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

El-Abd WAS a good player. 

Then he signed for us, in our less than positive era. :)

For El-Abd, also read as managers Coppell and O'Driscoll. 

Turn pedigree to shit.

#ModernBristolCityBanterEra

Think you need to narrow it down a bit more than that Mr P.

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Webster, every inch a premier league player. Can't be far off an England call.

Webster has done ok. He really struggled at times in the first half of the season and had a few really poor games (lots of mistakes and getting outmuscled for want of a better term). Some fans were getting a bit fed up with him etc. That's partly because he was playing badly but also because he was keeping Shane Duffy out of the team and he was our POTY last year and isngenerally very popular. Anyway, since the re-start he's looked much better so fingers crossed he can establish himself. We've got Ben White coming back to us from Leeds next season so some are wondering where he, or Webster, will fit in assuming Lewis Dunk stays.

23 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm so pleased to see you've come in peace.

I was really scared for a bit, fearing a repeat of the Hove genocide of 2011.

(Why do opposition fans feel the need to add 'in peace' to messages?)

It's a style of mankini that they wear in Brighton but originated in Yatton.

Hi @elwheelio

Nice post indeed. Welcome. He strikes me as an ideal candidate, perhaps the ideal one. 

I have one or two questions about Hughton and tactics, plus his ethos. 

1) His 4-4-2. I worry about possibly being outnumbered in midfield. Championship is ever evolving tactically.

2) His approach at this level. Is it more about possession dominance or shot dominance? You can certainly have one without the other! 

3) Is he more of a head coach or manager? Structure of clubs is ever evolving. 

4) What sort of budget is he prone to demanding? Things are quite choppy in football what with Covid. This last point and to an extent point 3 are wider footballing issues. 

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, elwheelio said:

Webster has done ok. He really struggled at times in the first half of the season and had a few really poor games (lots of mistakes and getting outmuscled for want of a better term). Some fans were getting a bit fed up with him etc. That's partly because he was playing badly but also because he was keeping Shane Duffy out of the team and he was our POTY last year and isngenerally very popular. Anyway, since the re-start he's looked much better so fingers crossed he can establish himself. We've got Ben White coming back to us from Leeds next season so some are wondering where he, or Webster, will fit in assuming Lewis Dunk stays.

Single-handedly cost Man City their title hopes with that bursting run forward that caused Laporte to foul him and get injured in the process.

Thanks for the words on Hughton. Spoke to a Brighton fan in January who told me it was only a minority of Brighton fans that had bad things to say about Hughton and that overall he'd done a great job and would be a good fit for City. 

I'd forgotten how well regarded by Newcastle fans Hughton is as well. 

He does seem an ideal fit for us, it's almost too good to be true. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hi @elwheelio 

Nice post indeed. Welcome. He strikes me as an ideal candidate, perhaps the ideal one. 

I have one or two questions about Hughton and tactics, plus his ethos. 

1) His 4-4-2. I worry about possibly being outnumbered in midfield. 

2) His approach at this level. Is it more about possession dominance or shot dominance? You can certainly have one without the other! 

3) Is he more of a head coach or manager? Structure of clubs is ever evolving. 

4) What sort of budget is he prone to demanding? Things are quite choppy in football what with Covid. This last point and to an extent point 3 are wider footballing issues. 

Thanks. 

Thanks, Mr P

1) we never played 442 under Poyet because he reckoned we weren't good enough in CM. However, CH got everyone working really hard and we did OK. We also had a great central defence for the championship (Dunk & Duffy).

2) He's not big on possession for possessions sake.

3) I'm not sure really. I guess he's more of a head coach, on the training ground, running drills etc.

4) Until we got to the PL our transfer record was £4m and that was for Shane Duffy. We bought really well in the Championship (Knockaert £2m, Stephens for about £500k etc). I can't imagine he's joining anyone unless he thinks you will spend what needs to be spent.

2 minutes ago, elwheelio said:

Thanks, Mr P

1) we never played 442 under Poyet because he reckoned we weren't good enough in CM. However, CH got everyone working really hard and we did OK. We also had a great central defence for the championship (Dunk & Duffy).

2) He's not big on possession for possessions sake.

3) I'm not sure really. I guess he's more of a head coach, on the training ground, running drills etc.

4) Until we got to the PL our transfer record was £4m and that was for Shane Duffy. We bought really well in the Championship (Knockaert £2m, Stephens for about £500k etc). I can't imagine he's joining anyone unless he thinks you will spend what needs to be spent.

Home from home for him here then, as we have plenty of players who keep giving the ball back to the opposition to avoid just that problem!

Archived