IGNORED

Brighton fan in peace

elwheelio

39 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm so pleased to see you've come in peace.

I was really scared for a bit, fearing a repeat of the Hove genocide of 2011.

(Why do opposition fans feel the need to add 'in peace' to messages?)

Because it's the 'done thing' and is a harmless, friendly way to say hello but mainly because we, like many other clubs have fans who see a post from an opposition fan as an opening to criticise them. 

9 minutes ago, elwheelio said:

Thanks, Mr P

1) we never played 442 under Poyet because he reckoned we weren't good enough in CM. However, CH got everyone working really hard and we did OK. We also had a great central defence for the championship (Dunk & Duffy).

2) He's not big on possession for possessions sake.

3) I'm not sure really. I guess he's more of a head coach, on the training ground, running drills etc.

4) Until we got to the PL our transfer record was £4m and that was for Shane Duffy. We bought really well in the Championship (Knockaert £2m, Stephens for about £500k etc). I can't imagine he's joining anyone unless he thinks you will spend what needs to be spent.

Thanks for the swift and informative responses. 

1) It'd be interesting to see but 4-4-2 is generally not a success at this level atm. Even since Hughton, not one of the top 6 and below play it.

I'm happy to look further but nobody in the top half has been playing it under current management this season IIRC.

That to me gives me a certain level of concern about going 4-4-2. Even since you were last in it, 4-4-2 has fallen right out of fashion!

Not one side who has gone up in the last 3 seasons tends to go 4-4-2. By that I mean promoted 3 each of last two seasons, top two this and all 4 playoff sides. Trend or blip?

2) Not a bad thing. Counterpressing shot dominance could be a productive route.

3) Head coach. That sounds slightly promising, Brighton have a Sporting Director or similar don't they. We have a structure with Mark Ashton.

4) I feel clubs and mangers may need to adjust expectations what with Covid. Unsure how much you spent fees wise but at times you had at this level quite a full wage bill?

If he has an eye for a player at decent prices that has to be good! 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1) It'd be interesting to see but 4-4-2 is generally not a success at this level atm. Even since Hughton, not one of the top 6 and below play it. I'm happy to look further but nobody in the top half plays it.

That to me gives me a certain level of concern about going 4-4-2. Even since you were last in it, 4-4-2 has fallen right out of fashion! 

3) Head coach. That sounds slightly promising, Brighton have a Sporting Director or similar don't they. We have a structure with Mark Ashton.

4) I feel clubs and mangers may need to adjust expectations what with Covid. Unsure how much you spent fees wise but at times you had at this level quite a full wage bill?

If it's not 442, he tends to go 451/433 with a target man (in our case, Glenn Murray). If you've got a decent target man, CH will be very happy.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

are you that insecure that it matters that much?

People disagree 

Has Hughton been officially announced because if he has I must have missed it.........:cool2:

My asking why I got a negative emoji because I’d really like to know what these posters know that I’m not aware of..............:dunno:

That is a cracking post, but where did you get the information from?  I can't find anything official yet.

I hope not, but is this just a high quality spoof?

I hope City do appoint CH, he is really the perfect fit for the club at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1) It'd be interesting to see but 4-4-2 is generally not a success at this level atm. Even since Hughton, not one of the top 6 and below play it.

I'm happy to look further but nobody in the top half has been playing it under current management this season IIRC.

Not one side who has gone up in the last 3 seasons tends to go 4-4-2. By that I mean promoted 3 each of last two seasons, top two this and all 4 playoff sides. Trend or blip?

Not a Mike Bassett fan then?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself Kid. You’ll be the only one who does I reckon.

I think you will find that this is not the case, someone who takes the time and trouble to register then post an informative post from their club's viewpoint on our prospective new manager does not deserve your curt response.

Anyway moving on taken from their forum

" CH could get a tub of lard promoted, it might take a couple of years but the end result is not in doubt.
He builds teams that are defensively hard to beat but have enough about them to hurt teams that are not on top of their game."

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381429-Good-luck-Chris

1 hour ago, elwheelio said:

CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings into the team who, I suspect were not really his cup of tea to begin with

He and Mark Ashton are going to get on brilliantly

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

The first 2 post sum this forum up. Embarrassing.

You keep on making sly digs about the place.  Nobody is forcing you to read it. Not sure what you want us to do, start removing all posts that people don’t like? 

9 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Oh grow up mate, don’t be so sensitive. 

Sensitive? Good grief.......I have the hide of a rhino, nothing and I mean nothing upsets me on here. Posters can say what they like and it just bounces off.

That said I do get irritated when some posters jump to conclusions as in this case with Hughton being appointed. My position is the same as it’s always been - something is official when it’s been announced on the OS and so far..........

Hello.  Brighton fan in here, in peace.  I just wanted to say that I think you've made a fantastic appointment in Chris Hughton.  He's an excellent manager and a very decent and measured guy.  He did an amazing job with us, taking us on near the bottom of the Championship, getting us promoted and then keeping us up twice. 

The end of his reign here was pretty dismal but he is still thought of as arguably our best ever manager.  He is often criticised for being negative or too defensive.  He is certainly a pragmatist and at time in the PL he took a safety first approach but that is largely due to the fact that we had a good defence and almost nothing up front (except for Glenn Murray who was already in his mid-thirties when we were promoted).  In his final season with us we started really well but, in my opinion, CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings in to the team who, I suspect, were not really his cup of tea to begin with.  We lost our way and we survived by being very defensive and grinding out points.  Still, in his two years in charge in the PL we stayed up twice, beat Man Utd twice, got some very pleasing wins against Palace and got to the FA Cup semi-final. Unless you're about to spent £500m on new players, that is, sadly, about as good as it gets as a "small" PL club.  We're all there to make up the numbers and give the big clubs someone to thrash.

I haven't seen much of Bristol City of late so am not sure how you guys set up or what your strengths and weaknesses are.  However, in the Championship we mostly played a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and we weren't a particularly defensive or cautious side.  We had a good squad, played good football and scored lots of goals.  One thing that is often overlooked with CH is his man management.  He did an excellent job at Brighton of managing some big characters (Knockaert was INCREDIBLE for us but is also a big personality and very emotional) and also keeping everyone together when we missed out on promotion one season on goal difference.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but I wish you all the best with CH.  I, and many other Brighton fans, will be keeping an eye on you next season and hoping to see you in the PL in the next few years.

Thanks exactly the kind of post we love to get from opposition fans, informative and adds to the debate - Welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm so pleased to see you've come in peace.

I was really scared for a bit, fearing a repeat of the Hove genocide of 2011.

(Why do opposition fans feel the need to add 'in peace' to messages?)

Two reason - 1. because some forums are not very welcoming to opposition fans. 2. because occasionally fans from other clubs come on and are not here 'in peace' we had one recently from Villa.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Sensitive? Good grief.......I have the hide of a rhino, nothing and I mean nothing upsets me on here. Posters can say what they like and it just bounces off.

That said I do get irritated when some posters jump to conclusions as in this case with Hughton being appointed. My position is the same as it’s always been - something is official when it’s been announced on the OS and so far..........

I think its the fact that you can post some well reasons things and contribute but you also have these spells where is hard to tell whether you are being incredibly dense or deliberately trolling. People gave you those emoji's because we had a new poster who came and gave a great first post and instead of welcoming him you were an ass, and because you have form for that kind of thing and peoples patience level with you is therefore understandably pretty low. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The reason for the negative emoji is because you troll every thread and rather than discuss the matter at hand you instead make it all about you. And you never fail to disappoint.

We have both been members on here a long long time, you are seem a very nice guy in person but your online persona and this act is beyond boring and sad. 

Enough about you and the attention you seek, if you receive any future negative emojis from myself please refer back to this post. 

7 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

We have both been members on here a long long time, you are seem a very nice guy in person but your online persona and this act is beyond boring and sad. 

As we’re both Long term otib posters you’ll know that I always believe something to to with the club is accurate when it’s announced on the OS.

So far the appointment of Hughton is speculation. None of know whether he’ll be the new guy or not but some posters jump to conclusions based on pretty much no evidence.

Btw....I’m just as forthright and outspoken in real life as I am on here but as you seem to know me in person you’ll know that.

Webster has done ok. He really struggled at times in the first half of the season and had a few really poor games (lots of mistakes and getting outmuscled for want of a better term). Some fans were getting a bit fed up with him etc. That's partly because he was playing badly but also because he was keeping Shane Duffy out of the team and he was our POTY last year and isngenerally very popular. Anyway, since the re-start he's looked much better so fingers crossed he can establish himself. We've got Ben White coming back to us from Leeds next season so some are wondering where he, or Webster, will fit in assuming Lewis Dunk stays.

Personally, having watched Leeds this season, I think White is the better player........although Webster has been badly missed at City, and is an excellent footballer.   Do you think you will be able to hold onto White?, as  I can see one of the bigger clubs making a substantial bid for him.

33 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Sorry, I don't mean about the forum, I mean some contributors. 

I just found it embarrassing that first two replies to a genuinely nice post, were IMO pretty rude.

Maybe it's just a social media problem. I really appreciate the forum in general. 

There are degrees of rudeness on OTIB and in his case I thought he got away very lightly.

Now if he'd been a Villa fan....................... :) 

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Personally, having watched Leeds this season, I think White is the better player........although Webster has been badly missed at City, and is an excellent footballer.   Do you think you will be able to hold onto White?, as  I can see one of the bigger clubs making a substantial bid for him.

Interesting. I'll be honest, I've not seen much of White but know there's a lot of buzz. The club has been very clear that his future is with us but if a "big" club came in it's hard for a young player to resist. We're not short of centre back but, as per your post, there's talk of White being a bit special so it would nice to have him here if only for a short while.

39 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Sorry, I don't mean about the forum, I mean some contributors. 

I just found it embarrassing that first two replies to a genuinely nice post, were IMO pretty rude.

Maybe it's just a social media problem. I really appreciate the forum in general. 

Agreed. No slight on the posters themselves whos posts I broadly enjoy, but some people on here are a bit rude with no thought about how it could be taken. As someone with MH issues, little things like those replies would've niggled me in the past, lacking in malevolence though they were.

Love OTIB, but definitely a social media problem. 

43 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Thanks exactly the kind of post we love to get from opposition fans, informative and adds to the debate - Welcome to the forum!

Two reason - 1. because some forums are not very welcoming to opposition fans. 2. because occasionally fans from other clubs come on and are not here 'in peace' we had one recently from Villa.

Ah yes, the idiot Delta! Delta the Belter- has a nice ring to it.

There was also "Another Day in Paradise"- they were quite arrogant but Delta was somewhat touchy to say the least!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not one team thats ever been promoted stick to any rigid formation.

And how you can comment on it before he has actually became manager or set a team is ******* ridiculous

The man has got 2 teams out of this league im pretty sure he knows what he is doing more so then you 

2 hours ago, elwheelio said:

Hello.  Brighton fan in here, in peace.  I just wanted to say that I think you've made a fantastic appointment in Chris Hughton.  He's an excellent manager and a very decent and measured guy.  He did an amazing job with us, taking us on near the bottom of the Championship, getting us promoted and then keeping us up twice. 

The end of his reign here was pretty dismal but he is still thought of as arguably our best ever manager.  He is often criticised for being negative or too defensive.  He is certainly a pragmatist and at time in the PL he took a safety first approach but that is largely due to the fact that we had a good defence and almost nothing up front (except for Glenn Murray who was already in his mid-thirties when we were promoted).  In his final season with us we started really well but, in my opinion, CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings in to the team who, I suspect, were not really his cup of tea to begin with.  We lost our way and we survived by being very defensive and grinding out points.  Still, in his two years in charge in the PL we stayed up twice, beat Man Utd twice, got some very pleasing wins against Palace and got to the FA Cup semi-final. Unless you're about to spent £500m on new players, that is, sadly, about as good as it gets as a "small" PL club.  We're all there to make up the numbers and give the big clubs someone to thrash.

I haven't seen much of Bristol City of late so am not sure how you guys set up or what your strengths and weaknesses are.  However, in the Championship we mostly played a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and we weren't a particularly defensive or cautious side.  We had a good squad, played good football and scored lots of goals.  One thing that is often overlooked with CH is his man management.  He did an excellent job at Brighton of managing some big characters (Knockaert was INCREDIBLE for us but is also a big personality and very emotional) and also keeping everyone together when we missed out on promotion one season on goal difference.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but I wish you all the best with CH.  I, and many other Brighton fans, will be keeping an eye on you next season and hoping to see you in the PL in the next few years.

Nice one mate he seems very level headed its a change for us to finally get the right type of guy in no more bluffers at least we will hopefully challenge now and make a serious effort to reach the big time .

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Nice one mate he seems very level headed its a change for us to finally get the right type of guy in no more bluffers at least we will hopefully challenge now and make a serious effort to reach the big time .

He's a real diplomat. He won't air his dirty laundry in public and his press conferences will be pretty dull but there's no one I'd rather want in charge in the Championship. 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not one team thats ever been promoted stick to any rigid formation.

And how you can comment on it before he has actually became manager or set a team is ******* ridiculous

The man has got 2 teams out of this league im pretty sure he knows what he is doing more so then you 

Never said he doesn't. ?‍♂️

Without derailing this thread however...

2017/18.

Wolves- 3-5-2/3-4-3/3-4-3-0

Cardiff- 4-3-3 (Defensive/counterpressing one of course!)

Fulham 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/

2018/19

Norwich- 4-2-3-1 (Most of the time)

Sheffield United- 3-5-2

Aston Villa- 4-3-3, under Smith IIRC.

2019-20

Leeds- 4-3-3/4-1-4-1, maybe some 4-2-3-1 thrown in.

WBA- 4-2-3-1 and some 4-3-3.

However, now you mention it- warming to my theme:

Brentford- 4-3-3.

Fulham- 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Cardiff- 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Swansea- 4-2-3-1 and at times 4-3-3.

Nottingham Forest- Often 4-2-3-1.

Millwall- WERE rigid 4-4-2 under Harris (and horrible to watch), but Rowett picked up the style somewhat. 4-4-1-1, 3-4-3, possibly 3-5-2.

Preston- 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

Derby- 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3.

US- **** knows. That's on LJ!

Blackburn- Bit of a tinkerman is Mowbray, some of his selections since lockdown have been odd.

Certainly no side who has been promoted this or the prior 2 seasons will have had any particular great use of 4-4-2. Certainly not a traditional one!

I'm more than happy with Hughton as manager but 4-4-2 is a flawed system, if we're using the traditional one, at the top end of good Leagues right now.

Hughton has been out of management for around a year, I can imagine in that time he has watched a lot of games, and hopefully has compiled a list of players in his little black book as potential recruits once he is back managing again.  He has a reputation for picking up bargains and doing his research.  It will be interesting to see who will be leaving and who will come in, and also if certain players at City, who were strongly contemplating moving on, might change their outlook under a new manager? In the current covid climate, it is more important than ever to get value for money.

Archived