IGNORED

Brighton fan in peace

elwheelio

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I guess there are examples of it looking very good. Southampton for example.

As long as its a tight midfield 4 it can work well imo.

But not many of our players seem to suit it so might not be the best for us.

Southampton is hard to say- doesn't strike me as a traditional one.

If we're counterpressing then maybe.

You might add Burnley to that as well.

It's an odd one though as that shape, doesn't strike me as one that will get you to the top as such. This level is ever evolving.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it probably needs a Brownhill type, or Ward Prowse for Southampton or Mooy for Brighton.

Central midfielders as one of the wide players, naturally liking to come inside.

I think the only 2 that might work well up top for us is Wells and Weimann. But it would need the wide midfielders to come in and provide creativity in central areas. Making it a kind of 4222 like Brighton.

Weimann does not like coming deep, and Wells is not great at it, and is wasted dropping off all the time.

Even then I'm unsure- but I know what you mean.

4-2-2-2 could be interesting...but what I figure is there must be a reason why the Championship and especially upper midtable sides upwards have abandoned 4-4-2! Even with Brownhill say on the right, it can have its flaws. A 4-3-3 can then if they're quick about it expose out wide when the central wide man drifts in. Team like Bielsa's Leeds or Brentford sure could IMO!

So a Brighton fan comes on to give us an honest opinion of our potential new man, (many thanks by the way - very informative and refreshing), and once again the troll rears it's head again and turns the attention to himself. 

Just put the old attention seeking fool on ignore, it makes reading threads easier as you don't have to go through his self obsessed comments all the time.

Back to the original post, hopefully this puts certain "he only uses one formation" comments to bed. It appears that he can actually adapt the formation/selection depending on who his team is playing. 

Quite refreshing, especially after so many years of having square pegs in round holes.

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it probably needs a Brownhill type, or Ward Prowse for Southampton or Mooy for Brighton.

Central midfielders as one of the wide players, naturally liking to come inside.

I think the only 2 that might work well up top for us is Wells and Weimann. But it would need the wide midfielders to come in and provide creativity in central areas. Making it a kind of 4222 like Brighton.

Weimann does not like coming deep, and Wells is not great at it, and is wasted dropping off all the time.

Yes.  Even if it’s lopsided, e.g. a narrow RM, but Eliasson as a natural winger on the opposite side..

The other option is a 4141, a true DM, but then 4 midfielders all getting close to one striker.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Some good stuff in this interview: 

A little bit about how he likes to set up too.  

Jesus christ a little warning would be nice if you're going to post a video with skeletor in.  Nearly puked.

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Is it just me, or are there loads of similarities between us and Brighton - specifically at the time before Hughton took them over?

it does seem we would be a match made in heaven at the moment.

There are and if anything he has a bit of a better base to work from.

Because when he took over it was mid season/over the Christmas period and they were in a relegation scrap- think we'd be a good prospect tbh! Well run, Lansdown often backs the owners- not a bad squad.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Is it just me, or are there loads of similarities between us and Brighton - specifically at the time before Hughton took them over?

it does seem we would be a match made in heaven at the moment.

IIRC a few years back - probably around the time the redevelopment started - someone said that Brighton were the club we would like to emulate on and off the pitch and we were (at the time) about five years behind them in terms of the `plan`.

There are remarkable similarities in their progress and ours.

Poor old @Robbored he often deserves all the stick he gets, but on this occassion he's quite right.... Hughton hasn't been appointed yet..!

Hopefully there's way to much smoke for there to be no fire, but until he's signed, pictured and done his first press conference, we all know better than to take a bit of media speculation as a done deal..! 

6 hours ago, elwheelio said:

Hello.  Brighton fan in here, in peace.  I just wanted to say that I think you've made a fantastic appointment in Chris Hughton.  He's an excellent manager and a very decent and measured guy.  He did an amazing job with us, taking us on near the bottom of the Championship, getting us promoted and then keeping us up twice. 

The end of his reign here was pretty dismal but he is still thought of as arguably our best ever manager.  He is often criticised for being negative or too defensive.  He is certainly a pragmatist and at time in the PL he took a safety first approach but that is largely due to the fact that we had a good defence and almost nothing up front (except for Glenn Murray who was already in his mid-thirties when we were promoted).  In his final season with us we started really well but, in my opinion, CH struggled to accommodate some new, expensive (and largely shit) signings in to the team who, I suspect, were not really his cup of tea to begin with.  We lost our way and we survived by being very defensive and grinding out points.  Still, in his two years in charge in the PL we stayed up twice, beat Man Utd twice, got some very pleasing wins against Palace and got to the FA Cup semi-final. Unless you're about to spent £500m on new players, that is, sadly, about as good as it gets as a "small" PL club.  We're all there to make up the numbers and give the big clubs someone to thrash.

I haven't seen much of Bristol City of late so am not sure how you guys set up or what your strengths and weaknesses are.  However, in the Championship we mostly played a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and we weren't a particularly defensive or cautious side.  We had a good squad, played good football and scored lots of goals.  One thing that is often overlooked with CH is his man management.  He did an excellent job at Brighton of managing some big characters (Knockaert was INCREDIBLE for us but is also a big personality and very emotional) and also keeping everyone together when we missed out on promotion one season on goal difference.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but I wish you all the best with CH.  I, and many other Brighton fans, will be keeping an eye on you next season and hoping to see you in the PL in the next few years.

Thank you for your post.

Been reading North Stand Chat and it’s nice to see so many positive posts about Hughton and us as a club. Desperately hope this doesn’t all fall through now.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Poor old @Robbored he often deserves all the stick he gets, but on this occassion he's quite right.... Hughton hasn't been appointed yet..!

Hopefully there's way to much smoke for there to be no fire, but until he's signed, pictured and done his first press conference, we all know better than to take a bit of media speculation as a done deal..! 

The alarm has been sounded, everyone has gone out to the car park, all the names have been called out and answered, but where is Chris Hughton?

Was he the guy pressing the fire alarm for just a laugh?

6 hours ago, elwheelio said:

Ha! I didn't expect Adam El-Abd to come up. He was generally thought to be rubbish here until Poyet turned up. He turned El-Abd into a sort of League One version of Paolo Maldini.

We turned him into a League one Jimmy Cricket!

6 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I think you will find that this is not the case, someone who takes the time and trouble to register then post an informative post from their club's viewpoint on our prospective new manager does not deserve your curt response.

Anyway moving on taken from their forum

" CH could get a tub of lard promoted, it might take a couple of years but the end result is not in doubt.
He builds teams that are defensively hard to beat but have enough about them to hurt teams that are not on top of their game."

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381429-Good-luck-Chris

Loving the bit about 'defensively hard to beat', thats one of our issues, far too soft IMHO.

A midfield enforcer would be nice too.

I genuinely don't think we are far away and someone like Hughton is ideal to bridge the gap.

BTW, thankyou @elwheelio really appreciate your thoughts. 

Why we've been pissing about with Gerrard when CH is available I don't know. It's a perfect fit for us.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Had a lot going on with family at the time.

All the same, with so much going on at AG since - which he'd certainly have views on - for Bob not to even log in to OTIB since March, is puzzling.

Even a bit concerning in the present circumstances - unless he's been banned of course.

@phantom?

Archived