IGNORED

Pereira returns to his parent club

Jerseybean

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, of course he has as his loan spell has finished: the same applies to Afobe.

Nevertheless, there is nothing to say that he, or indeed, Benik might not come back next season on a permanent contract.

You're right, however, I would say it's pretty evident neither will be signing permanently.

19 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Like all football clubs around the world money will be very tight. If we wanted him and the price was lower than was quoted, we could still sign him if we wanted to. I like him, he is young and will improve with the right people around him.

Spot on. Did enough that I'd be happy to have him - looks like he will improve a lot, but I think the fee quoted was something like £5m and thats just too much (especially in the current climate).

Saw an instance in the MLS with Jurgen Locadia who’s on loan at Cincinnati and was supposed to move there on a perm for £10m in July but cause of ol Rona they extended his loan, and future fee, from Brighton for another year. Honestly reckon we could do the same, hope we at least try. 

5 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Saw an instance in the MLS with Jurgen Locadia who’s on loan at Cincinnati and was supposed to move there on a perm for £10m in July but cause of ol Rona they extended his loan, and future fee, from Brighton for another year. Honestly reckon we could do the same, hope we at least try. 

Leeds have done the same with Jack Harrison I believe.

Pereira's promising and I'd be happy if we kept him but he's not set us alight, hasn't managed to get in ahead of Hunt for much of the season and we now have Vyner at right back too. As others have said, I can't see the board sanctioning a £5 million move for him as things stand. I'd certainly be pleased if he stayed on loan for another season with an option to buy then but I'm not convinced he or his parent club would go for that. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Had it not been for the bloody pandemic I think we'd be talking a permanent deal. I would take him and Vyner over Hunt so would certainly have been happy to take a €5m punt. In the climate we're in this now looks unlikely but because of it Benfica might lower their price. I can only hope. 

Yrs he was a good kid plenty of promise i prefer him over Hunt anyday.

I’m amazed people are turning their nose up at signing him when we are in pole position to acquire him.

he has great attributes. Tall, strong, quick, good with ball at his feet, can cross, can defend and is young and will only get better.

we will without doubt aim to renegotiate the fee should we try to turn move permanent, which IMO we should without doubt.

for anyone claiming he hasn’t really pushed hunt out, remember he was playing under LJ who clearly didn’t have a clue what he was doing when it came to tactics and personnel but PP is far superior to hunt.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

The agreed fee was about £5m IIRC? We aren't going to be paying that in the current climate.

Mark Ashton’s - A Tale of 2 Pereira’s

Once upon a time in the West, BCFC CEO and well-known flanneler Mark Ashton took a short haul flight to the beautiful Portuguese capital, Lisbon. 
He was on a mission to bring home Pereira. 
Ashton’s world class analytics team had drawn his attention to an incredibly talented lad playing for the Portuguese giants. 
Ashton hailed a taxi and asked to be taken henceforth to the football stadium. 
The taxi arrived at Benfica FC, where Ashton mesmerised a young full back, Pedro Pereira, convincing him to join the West Country’s greatest on their journey to the promised land. A loan was agreed with a future fee of £5m - seemingly an absolute bargain for a player the world class analysts had detailed as a ‘mercurial and special talent’. 

Meanwhile, a few kilometres to the north west of the City, a representative of West Bromwich Albion had visited Sporting Lisbon and agreed a season loan and £8m fee for the ‘mercurial and special talents’ of Matheus Pereira. 

WBA’s loanee predictably proceeded to become one of the players of the season in the championship. 
Whilst down in the West Country, the Bristol City loanee made a rather disappointing 14 starting appearances. 

Not everyone lived happily ever after  

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Mark Ashton’s - A Tale of 2 Pereira’s

Once upon a time in the West, BCFC CEO and well-known flanneler Mark Ashton took a short haul flight to the beautiful Portuguese capital, Lisbon. 
He was on a mission to bring home Pereira. 
Ashton’s world class analytics team had drawn his attention to an incredibly talented lad playing for the Portuguese giants. 
Ashton hailed a taxi and asked to be taken henceforth to the football stadium. 
The taxi arrived at Benfica FC, where Ashton mesmerised a young full back, Pedro Pereira, convincing him to join the West Country’s greatest on their journey to the promised land. A loan was agreed with a future fee of £5m - seemingly an absolute bargain for a player the world class analysts had detailed as a ‘mercurial and special talent’. 

Meanwhile, a few kilometres to the north west of the City, a representative of West Bromwich Albion had visited Sporting Lisbon and agreed a season loan and £8m fee for the ‘mercurial and special talents’ of Matheus Pereira. 

WBA’s loanee predictably proceeded to become one of the players of the season in the championship. 
Whilst down in the West Country, the Bristol City loanee made a rather disappointing 14 starting appearances. 

Not everyone lived happily ever after  

Issue is both Pereira and Benkovic were horrifically under utilised.

Hunt has had the rare decent game going forward bagging a handful of assists, but he's an absolute liability defensively and especially so since the restart.

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Issue is both Pereira and Benkovic were horrifically under utilised.

Hunt has had the rare decent game going forward bagging a handful of assists, but he's an absolute liability defensively and especially so since the restart.

While I don't fully agree on Hunt, I certainly agree that they were under utilised- not only under utilised but done so in a shape that doesn't get the best out of them, IMO.

Think we have to be realistic, Perreira was OK, but not a £5m right back. Benkovic was generally good, but likely to be out of our price range. Benik did OK in limited appearances, but fee and wages likely to be an issue, and signing Wells probably ended our interest.

All very well trying to pretend that they were better than we saw, or blaming Lee, but with transfer funds likely to be limited, we have to be realistic and honest. We made that mistake with KP last year.

Archived