IGNORED

Chris Hughton CV stories

Street red

Impressive, confident, knowledgeable, determined. "Them" qualities will go a long way to helping the club achieve what we have been unable to do for forty five years.

There aren't any guarantees that he will keep on winning promotion from the Championship but I am impressed with him as a person. I see a good period ahead for BCFC. 

Great interview. Thanks @Street red Chris Hughton comes across in everything I have seen as a man of integrity, honesty and humility and with a quiet and powerful charisma. What an opportunity the appointment of a coach with those qualities and that experience would offer.

Hoping this happens.

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Impressive guy. Surely the highest level of experience we've had as a manager? Super excited for him to come in.

Been thinking about this.

Arguably as Bobby Houghton (not Hughton) had already taken a team to the European Cup final (Champions League, for the kids out there) he trumps that?

All arguable, but Houghton had never managed in England at the time (& didn’t afterwards, either) but am struggling to think of a previous manager other than Coppell (& let’s not go there) who has a more impressive CV?

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Been thinking about this.

Arguably as Bobby Houghton (not Hughton) had already taken a team to the European Cup final (Champions League, for the kids out there) he trumps that?

All arguable, but Houghton had never managed in England at the time (& didn’t afterwards, either) but am struggling to think of a previous manager other than Coppell (& let’s not go there) who has a more impressive CV?

Looking at out managerial history I can't see anyone - and certainly not in our time supporting the club (other than Coppell).

This would be a big statement. I hope the club make it!

11 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Interesting article out there suggesting he’s not one for developing youth. Hope this isn’t the case

I wouldn't say that if you listen to a few interviews of his it depends on the club's situation or each individual club.ie at Brighton you wouldn't bring a mass of younger player through if your trying to make the club stable in the league especially the premierleague, Once you establish the club then you can  start incorporating the younger type of player.. Every club has its own position and I can't believe he wouldn't be interest in bring youth on as he's been u21 coach etc in the past. If they are good enough they will play at some point.. A person of hughtons calibre and experience will do are academy a world of good.

Lot of info banded around re Hughton and not playing youngsters.  Which isn’t strictly true.

B15CB907-C056-4358-AD9D-44F46E5F317D.thumb.jpeg.6f4d6e1cd531137bc096c47eb66119ab.jpeg

This was the 16/17 squad at BHA for players 24 and under.  Some big minutes for 2 CBs Duffy and Dunk, who were just 24, as were the two widemen, Knockaert and Skalak.  With March at 21 featuring a lot.  Dunk was an Academy player, March was your equivalent of Semenyo, coming from another club into the Academy.

Lets compared it to City this season.  How many Academy players played over 1000 minutes?  Zero.  Vyner at 494 (thanks to Holden), Semenyo 362.  How many players 24 and under were regulars?  Brownhill, Dasilva and Massengo....all bought.  

46 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Interesting article out there suggesting he’s not one for developing youth. Hope this isn’t the case

I think it has depended on his remit and where he's been.

Newcastle - the expectation was to get promoted immediately. He acheived it. No prerequisite for playing youth. Promoted.

Birmingham - I must admit, I can't remember too much of his time at Birmingham so won't try to speculate on whether or not he used young players. Got playoffs. 

Norwich - keep them in the Prem. Achieved it.

Brighton - similar position to us in many ways, but I get the impression they were after quicker success rather than sustainability. They were riding the wave of a new stadium and filling it with an affluent supporter base. Promoted. 

All four of those spells are slightly different to the situation here, and on paper the circumstances don't look like playing youth would necessarily be a pre-requisite. Let's judge him if/when he is appointed here on this. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it has depended on his remit and where he's been.

Newcastle - the expectation was to get promoted immediately. He acheived it. No prerequisite for playing youth. Promoted.

Birmingham - I must admit, I can't remember too much of his time at Birmingham so won't try to speculate on whether or not he used young players. Got playoffs. 

Norwich - keep them in the Prem. Achieved it.

Brighton - similar position to us in many ways, but I get the impression they were after quicker success rather than sustainability. They were riding the wave of a new stadium and filling it with an affluent supporter base. Promoted. 

All four of those spells are slightly different to the situation here, and on paper the circumstances don't look like playing youth would necessarily be a pre-requisite. Let's judge him if/when he is appointed here on this. 

The Birmingham season also saw them playing in the Europa League as a result of winning the league cup & being relegated under McLeish, to reach the playoffs under those circumstances was remarkable.

I think they played 62 games.

Archived