Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

I give you two examples Huddersfield Town and Bristol Lansdown FC


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

SVK, what a disgrace, just frigg off, I'd gladly fight to the death over the good name of Stephen Lansdown.

How dare you degrade him with such an insult.  Where would City be without him?  You've embarrassed yourself and boiled my blood.

I've said in another thread, and I can't be the only one thinking this, but is there not a chance CH is stalling, perhaps waiting for other opportunities?

 

 

When you started out there I thought you were being sarcastic or at least you were guilty of hyperbole. I waited and waited and then sadly ...........................

What would Bristol City be without him? We could be in the Prem? He's not the only rich man with Bristol connections and a passion for football. They might just come forward? Like many on here you are too grateful to him. Other people agree with me that BCFC has become his plaything. My position is that at the moment I don't want him to go I want him to change his mind set and seriously go for what he says he wants for our Club. If we don't get Hughton or some one of equal pedigree I will want him to frigg off with you to the Channel Islands

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Lovely. Thankyou for that. Have to move over now I suppose. McGregor must have been fed something by Ashton Gate. But do you not see a pattern with the delay suggesting that we are in for yet another underwhelming managerial appointment followed by bollocks from Ashton along the lines of "From an outstanding field of candidates we have appointed the best"?

McGregor may not have been fed anything from AG - his source (if there is one) could be external. 
 

I don’t really see a pattern, but I do see a delay which goes against what has been reported about CH. However there could be many rational explanations as to why that is - many of which have been posted on here already. I genuinely get the frustration and I want CH as our manager as much as most on here, and IF he’s not and IF it’s due to something the board did or did not do, THEN fire some shots. Not when an announcement of what most of us want could be hours away

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

SVK, what a disgrace, just frigg off, I'd gladly fight to the death over the good name of Stephen Lansdown.

How dare you degrade him with such an insult.  Where would City be without him?  You've embarrassed yourself and boiled my blood.

I've said in another thread, and I can't be the only one thinking this, but is there not a chance CH is stalling, perhaps waiting for other opportunities?

 

 

Bloody hell RDK, you’re the most easy going poster on here. 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Lovely. Thankyou for that. Have to move over now I suppose. McGregor must have been fed something by Ashton Gate. But do you not see a pattern with the delay suggesting that we are in for yet another underwhelming managerial appointment followed by bollocks from Ashton along the lines of "From an outstanding field of candidates we have appointed the best"?

Um ....... no

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

When you started out there I thought you were being sarcastic or at least you were guilty of hyperbole. I waited and waited and then sadly ...........................

What would Bristol City be without him? We could be in the Prem? He's not the only rich man with Bristol connections and a passion for football. They might just come forward? Like many on here you are too grateful to him. Other people agree with me that BCFC has become his plaything. My position is that at the moment I don't want him to go I want him to change his mind set and seriously go for what he says he wants for our Club. If we don't get Hughton or some one of equal pedigree I will want him to frigg off with you to the Channel Islands

I don't mind your criticisms, although I strongly disagree with them, but I do take issue with your use of Wurzel Gummidge to try to mock a man who has only ever given time, vast fortune, and incredible effort, to make City a better football club.  

Are you seriously suggesting he has held the club back, somehow?  Where are these other rich men waiting to invest in the club?  

I honestly can't understand how any City fan can have any ill-feeling to Stephen Lansdown.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Lovely. Thankyou for that. Have to move over now I suppose. McGregor must have been fed something by Ashton Gate. But do you not see a pattern with the delay suggesting that we are in for yet another underwhelming managerial appointment followed by bollocks from Ashton along the lines of "From an outstanding field of candidates we have appointed the best"?

We don’t know the reason for the delay, it could well be CH carrying out his own due diligence and sensibly considering all of his options.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Well............... have to disagree ......................Cultivating a good working relationship with the local press is an important part of the role of a Media department.

And ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

When you started out there I thought you were being sarcastic or at least you were guilty of hyperbole. I waited and waited and then sadly ...........................

What would Bristol City be without him? We could be in the Prem? He's not the only rich man with Bristol connections and a passion for football. They might just come forward? Like many on here you are too grateful to him. Other people agree with me that BCFC has become his plaything. My position is that at the moment I don't want him to go I want him to change his mind set and seriously go for what he says he wants for our Club. If we don't get Hughton or some one of equal pedigree I will want him to frigg off with you to the Channel Islands

By going for it do you mean appointing a under 23’s/assistant coach with his only coaching experience coming from.... CYPRUS. I am sure you would be over the moon with that. Personally i would rather we took our time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

No. I would have applauded his guts in finally going for it and he would have gone up hugely in my estimation.

Or you'd be calling the appointment of someone with just 2 years in Cyprus for experience as the main man "the cheap option" and lamenting that we didn't go for someone proven.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

SVK, what a disgrace, just frigg off, I'd gladly fight to the death over the good name of Stephen Lansdown.

How dare you degrade him with such an insult.  Where would City be without him?  You've embarrassed yourself and boiled my blood.

I've said in another thread, and I can't be the only one thinking this, but is there not a chance CH is stalling, perhaps waiting for other opportunities?

 

 

Or he’s agreed the deal, gone away and had a good holiday, so then he can hit the ground running when officially appointed. No one knows, that’s just my guess.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Portland Bill said:

Or he’s agreed the deal, gone away and had a good holiday, so then he can hit the ground running when officially appointed. No one knows, that’s just my guess.

Plus, getting his coaching staff sorted, whose to say some of them aren’t in jobs at clubs whose seasons have just finished, or are still playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't mind your criticisms, although I strongly disagree with them, but I do take issue with your use of Wurzel Gummidge to try to mock a man who has only ever given time, vast fortune, and incredible effort, to make City a better football club.  

Are you seriously suggesting he has held the club back, somehow?  Where are these other rich men waiting to invest in the club?  

I honestly can't understand how any City fan can have any ill-feeling to Stephen Lansdown.

Nor can I Steve. Thoroughly agree with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sarcasm isn't attractive mate. Lansdown has made billions in business by presumably appointing the best staff but cannot apply this proper business practice when it comes to our football Club . ie. admitting what he knows little about - football

.........and your football knowledge and experience amounts to what???

:facepalm:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how long SL would take to appoint the head of a significant part of his financial business, a role which would carry huge responsibility, financial and otherwise. An appointment which, if mishandled could have severe repercussions for the business.

A sight more than a couple of weeks I reckon. 

I just want us to appoint the right person and if that takes a while, so be it.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sarcasm isn't attractive mate. Lansdown has made billions in business by presumably appointing the best staff but cannot apply this proper business practice when it comes to our football Club . ie. admitting what he knows little about - football

 

Parochial sarcasm. Proper football Club CEOs and owners choose who they want as a manager and sell the Club to them.They don't piss about with shortlists and endless interviews. Incidentally a few months ago would have been at the start of the lock-down when there was plenty of opportunity.

On the second point - this has actually happened before, funnily enough with our last manager

A question then would be would you describe LJ as "the best"?

 

Your OP comes across as a needless and cheapshot dig at our owner who has done more for the club than most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder how long SL would take to appoint the head of a significant part of his financial business, a role which would carry huge responsibility, financial and otherwise. An appointment which, if mishandled could have severe repercussions for the business.

A sight more than a couple of weeks I reckon. 

Wise words, totally agree.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sarcasm isn't attractive mate. Lansdown has made billions in business by presumably appointing the best staff but cannot apply this proper business practice when it comes to our football Club . ie. admitting what he knows little about - football

 

Nor is making caustic remarks about things where you know nothing. Lansdown has made a fortune appointing financial people, do you think he also recruits all his cleaners? The security people? No, that's not his area of expertise. He may well take the advice of others on appointment of a manager. And given that you've used exec recruitment as an example, it can take months to find and attract the right person.

PS: I'm not your mate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me there are a lot on here composing conspiracy theories, behaviour patterns etc when in fact none of us know what is happening behind the scenes. Instead of adding 2 and 2 and getting 15 why don't we all just exercise some patience. We have a media dept who will no doubt announce an appointment when and where appropriate for all parties. Frustrating I know but that's life.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't mind your criticisms, although I strongly disagree with them, but I do take issue with your use of Wurzel Gummidge to try to mock a man who has only ever given time, vast fortune, and incredible effort, to make City a better football club.  

Are you seriously suggesting he has held the club back, somehow?  Where are these other rich men waiting to invest in the club?  

I honestly can't understand how any City fan can have any ill-feeling to Stephen Lansdown.

Yes I do. Looking back on his time with us since 1996 there have been 13 managers. I'd say the appointment of a manager is a crucial task of a football Club. He became Chairman in 2004 and since then we have had 8 managers. We are told that he is owner and no longer Chairman but the events surrounding the appointment of Derek McInnes especially have shown us that Steve gets what he wants in these situations. We don't truly have a Board. I'd say out of the 8, we have had 2 managers of note - Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill. Plus we have had some spectacular failures "Judge me on Tinnion" and "'I don't know what I'm doing here" Coppell. So he may have outstanding judgement in making  business appointments but seems unable to admit that he is lacking in the football knowledge needed to appoint a top quality manager, being in mind that his avowed intention is to take BCFC to the Premiership. So we have had a succession of mediocre managers apart from Gary and Steve and to my eye it appears that Steve prefers to keep control and will not hand responsibility for football matters to someone who is radical enough to do with BCFC what they have done elsewhere. ie. achieve true top flight success either here or abroad. Because in effect it is his football club, with 97% ownership, and while it may appear that he has given us a great deal, in cold business terms he has also massively increased his investment. 

It appears that Steve Cotterill, having achieved substantial honours in the EFL with the double, was someone who had the vim to take us further but it appears that he was too challenging for Steve. He was sacked to make way for the safe nepotistic appointment of Lee Johnson, a young, inexperienced manager who had achieved nothing in comparison to Cotterill. 

So yes. I regard SL, unless he is going to have a substantial change of mindset and make sure we get someone of the calibre of Hughton, as our biggest obstacle. Steve may be your friend. I don't wish him ill will, however I do want him to change, surrender control in the right football areas and go for it. You may be content with the "inevitability of gradualness" as Jim Callaghan put it. You may think it's okay to wait a decades for another Alan Dicks to turn up by magic. Dicks is the only man in 100 years to take us to the top flight. In my view a city the size of Bristol, with it's enormous catchment area should be in the top ten teams in the country. Steve isn't getting any younger, neither am I or you. Are you content with uncertain Championship status? Best wishes. SK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Was thinking of how well Nathan Jones had done at Luton (yes, I know he'd been gone too long). 

Torrid time at Stoke with a dressing room of ex Prem has beens but picked himself up and kept Luton up against the odds. Respect. 

Paul Cook would be my choice though 

 

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

It's getting concerning..

Who is a better fit than CH?

We're going to go cheap.... Arise Cowleys

 

45 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder how long SL would take to appoint the head of a significant part of his financial business, a role which would carry huge responsibility, financial and otherwise. An appointment which, if mishandled could have severe repercussions for the business.

A sight more than a couple of weeks I reckon. 

I just want us to appoint the right person and if that takes a while, so be it.

That's a good call. A senior role does take time.

But would he fire a senior director during a critical time in his business?

We have such a short break, time is not our friend

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

By going for it do you mean appointing a under 23’s/assistant coach with his only coaching experience coming from.... CYPRUS. I am sure you would be over the moon with that. Personally i would rather we took our time.

Any idea why Bielsa, regarded by Guardiola, no less, as one of the greatest, chose Corberan as his assistant in getting Leeds promoted? Do you reckon he's picked up any tips and contacts as a result? Huddersfield reacted quickly in appointing a young prospect with genuine, (rather than Ashton bullshit )outstanding potential

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Any idea why Bielsa, regarded by Guardiola, no less, as one of the greatest, chose Corberan as his assistant in getting Leeds promoted? Do you reckon he's picked up any tips and contacts as a result? Huddersfield reacted quickly in appointing a young prospect with genuine, (rather than Ashton bullshit )outstanding potential

Assistants don’t always make good managers though. Think the likes of Brian Kidd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I bet there are times that Lansdown feels like withdrawing his money and letting some other mug fund it and deal with the ungrateful ****s that make up a depressingly sizeable minority of our fanbase.

He has considered packing it in, a number of times, I recall him saying it in an interview. I for one would be extremely concerned if he did.

For all we know he may have delegated this decision to JL & MA. The delay may be due to them ?

This was the case with Cotts, who was appointed by Chairman Keith Dawe

 

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Any idea why Bielsa, regarded by Guardiola, no less, as one of the greatest, chose Corberan as his assistant in getting Leeds promoted? Do you reckon he's picked up any tips and contacts as a result? Huddersfield reacted quickly in appointing a young prospect with genuine, (rather than Ashton bullshit )outstanding potential

So you thought he would of been a good choice? Or have you just heard of him because huddersfield signed him? Captain hindsight

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...